Sunday Stream (1) - Foolishness of Fear

Poetic insight & philosophy by Cecil Lee.

Moderator: mtmynd

mtmynd

Sunday Stream (1) - Foolishness of Fear

Post by mtmynd » October 3rd, 2004, 3:14 am

<center><b>Sunday Stream – Foolishness of Fear</b></center>
A circular from the Ministry of Islamic Guidance and Culture in Tehran asks TV editors to make sure that women's games are not televised live: ‘Images of women engaged in contests [sic] must be carefully vetted," says the letter, leaked in Tehran. 'Editors must take care to prevent viewers from being confronted [sic] with uncovered parts of the female anatomy in contests.’”

I’d much rather understand people than to negate their beliefs. This is a path I have been on for many years. That sort of logic troubles some people, usually the very same people that would negate another’s belief. “It aint easy understandin.’”

Understanding the behaviors of others makes it easier to cope with the differences and not be fearful of the differences. When we fear differences we defend ourselves from loss, a loss of our own beliefs. To cling to beliefs that we do not understand is an indifference to our Self, our very core Being. We can never completely know ourselves thru doctrines and cultural taboos. Religions and philosophies will never know us like we can know ourselves. Laws cannot be made to know ourselves.

"Fear of Muslim viewers seeing bare female legs and arms on television is also shared by theologians in several Arab states. Sheik Yussuf al-Qaradawi, an Egyptian theologian based in Qatar, claims that female sport is exploited as a means of undermining ‘divine morality’."

I find this belief to be baseless. It only serves to “keep the wimmen barefoot and pregnant.” The only “divine morality” that is undermined is the highly inflated ego of the male that practices this belief, and that can hardly be called “divine morality.”

Divine is a beautiful word... in English, anyway. I don’t know what Arabic word is used for “divine”...and I should before I go any further. But this practice is not so much aimed at women, but the ‘other’ male that may be competition to the offended male. Have the wives and daughters clothed in such a way that another male cannot tell if the woman/girl is happy or sad, beautiful or friendly... clues of attraction that are natural. Beauty is an attractant that is not dangerous, but good. There should be no threat, unless of course, the one attracted is of less-than-desirable quality. That would pose a problem. However, the majority of males that see a woman and is attracted to her beauty, her hair, her butt sashaying, her legs, her hands... these are as valid to view as a beautiful sunset, a forest of pines glistening with the drops from a fresh rain, the movement and play of clouds in the morning sky... a work of art, a song that holds your attention all the way through....

Oppress this gift and you repress a natural instinct, the attraction to beauty. Another instinct arrested and jailed by laws written by those that are fearful and enforced by those who are oppressed. This is a real “fear of God” that goes to the extreme. The woman so clothed has the freedom to view the male, to experience that natural instinct of attraction. The overwhelming majority never follow beyond the initial attraction, but just enjoy the little buzz it gave them... a little fire set under their being to take the mind off the daily mundanity. The women enjoy the experience, but the male...? “God forbid!”

The question how much of a woman's body could be seen in public is one of the two or three most important issues that have dominated theological debate in Islam for decades," says Mohsen Sahabi, a Muslim historian.’"More time and energy is devoted to this issue than to economic development or scientific research.’ "

Some cultures are so sex fearful that it inhibits their growth. They remain in a realm of denial. These men that preach these beliefs are fearful themselves, fearful of their own feelings, and they see this in other men. It has become common, acceptable behavior, even for the women to completely cover their bodies in front of men. Even the poor women cannot trust the men in their own neighborhoods, not even their own tribes. Likewise this distrust is among their fellow men. Trust must be vacant in these environments. They pray five times daily. This must get their minds off of women. It gives the women a break, too. They do not have to worry about the men when the men are in deep prayer. It takes everyone’s minds off of sex... even for a little while is good.

Obsession of anything leads to dis-ease. Obsessed people are sick people. They have been repressing their natural instincts for so long that they confuse natural instincts with obsessive behavior. What once was a beautiful thing now becomes a fearful thing... beauty turns into the beast and fear becomes the focus. Still attracted to that one something, the obsessed now sees that ‘thing’ as something negative... the beast that scares the obsessed, but yet the attraction still pulls at him...each closer inch and the fear increases... closer and closer he gets, the larger and larger the beast becomes, and the fear increases. “God save me from the Beast!”

Hijab theoreticians agree on one claim: a woman's hair emanates dangerous rays that could drive men wild with sexual lust and thus undermine social peace.”

I having been a male all my life have never seen social peace undermined by a woman’s hair. Maybe it is a fault of mine. First I look at the hair. True, some men look at the purse, but I see the hair. If I happen to see a woman’s hair that I am particularly attracted to, my next look (depending upon how close I am...), is the face followed by centering on her eyes. If I am at a good distance from the one I am attracted to, I may look at her ass, but if she is facing me, I look to see if her legs are covered. A woman’s legs are a pleasant attractant, even if they are filling the thigh area of the pants they are wearing. So are her breasts... pushing outwards from her t-shirt or blouse is a nice thing to notice in a woman. Having never been repressed from these things, I have a healthy attitude towards appreciating the beauty of the woman.

It would be another situation, however, if all my life I was told or reminded that I could not look at a woman. Even more oppressing – not even seeing a woman’s body. I think I might have a fear for what is under all that garb that other men do not want me to see. If they don’t want me to see a woman’s body, then maybe a woman’s body is something that shouldn’t be seen. I’d pray many times a day to alleviate this fear. When I was of the age to take on a wife, I may very well continue to carry this fear with me and the marriage would be built upon fear of her. The wife remains but an object, just like the women on the streets – clothed from head to toe so other men can never see the wife or daughter of another man. And, please, don’t talk to them... it may undermine the social peace.

Some theologians claim that any form of sporting activity by women produces "sinful consequences." In 2000, for example, the Khomeinist authorities in Tehran announced a ban on women riding bicycles or motorcycles. The rationale? Riding bicycles or motorcycles would activate a woman's thighs and legs, thus arousing "uncontrollable lustful drives" in her. And men watching women on their bikes in the streets could be "led towards dangerous urges’."

What is apparently meant is “led towards sexual urges.” Those damn sexual urges just can’t be controlled! Every man may become a voyeur at best and a rapist at worst. No man can control these dangerous urges. Seeing a woman pedal a bike is enough to drive any healthy heterosexual man to the brink of the dangerous! And if she is wearing pedal pushers... whoa! Madness is sure to ensue.

This is what can happen when our natural instincts are repressed. It becomes a sickness. Women the world over have ridden or do ride bikes. This is not something the majority of the world considers dangerous. The danger lies in the repression of the innocence of the instinct signaling attraction. This is the power of fanaticism controlling men and women. “More time and energy is devoted to this issue than to economic development or scientific research” ...! The social price for attempting to control women.

I was engaged in a conversation with my mate the other night when she said “The world will never be free until all women are free.” Aside from any puns or jokes, this is certainly true. We must all, men and women, be free in order to experience divine love. When you are in love you have no cause to fear, no reason to suppress, nothing but a joy and bliss alive within and an outpouring to others of the same. Oppression or repression would stifle and choke this love, and who is foolish enough to try and kill this divine gift? The madman that would attempt to, is the very man that needs to find this love within. He is desperate for it... mad for it... he tries to materialize it so he can grab it and run away and hold it for himself. His madness cannot see the real beauty and he has no attraction. Alone and feeling unwanted, the madman fears his mind and this fear is manifested to the world around him. He becomes dangerous, dangerous in defending himself from his own fears, he obsesses about love, but it is intangible at that point. Only those in touch with their own being can help... compassion can dissolve the fear and help the obsessed with their pain... return ease to their being.

Although it is a great assist, law cannot make freedom. Freedom must be wanted by oneself; it cannot be demanded from others. It is only the climate of freedom that can give the seed of love the will to live and thrive. From this love all things can be possible, all fears will dissipate, and all potential can be realized.

Last year, the Tehran Municipality presented a plan to provide sports facilities for women. It proposed amendments to 37 laws and ordinances that discriminate against women. It also unveiled a plan to develop women-only sports grounds. A model stadium was set up with 12-foot-high walls to make sure that no one could see the women from the outside. The stadium was to operate with an all-female staff, including coaches and administrators.
“The plan was scrapped last February, when critics claimed that the proposed stadium was located close enough to an airport that women in the stadium might be seen by men flying above them in jetliners and helicopters.

Does Nature have the patience to wait for humanity to grow up? Can humanity find humor in their foolishness? Nature must surely have a sense of humor to bring life to a species such as us.

[note: all quotes taken from http://www.nypost.com/postopinion/opedc ... /18656.htm]

cecil
03 Oct 04

<center>A Thorny Situation

Image [cecil's golden barrel cactus]</center>
Last edited by mtmynd on April 9th, 2010, 2:26 pm, edited 5 times in total.

WIREMAN

Post by WIREMAN » October 3rd, 2004, 3:36 am

...a beautiful ...thought provoking piece to start out the stream @ studio 8 cecil...... here in the inner city environs where cj and I live and breathe we have to constantly battle negative perceptions and beliefs about where we live and the inhabitants here....I have found an undeniable beauty in this life style and many barriers have been torn away in regards to myself and my perceptions of other people and races....those things ingrained in all of us as children......I gave one guy down here in the hood a job, workin' steel for me, nobody would give james a chance and so when the opportunity arose I gave him a job......he's doin' great and keepin' out of trouble...his families life has improved tremendously....this is my heartfelt contribution and one thing I could "GIVE" to a neighbor........who some might percieve wrongly upon 1st glance.............we all need to tear down the barriers of preconception about women, men, blacks, whites, islamics catholics the list goes on and on.....i smile when i hear these names...Rumi..
Thomas Merton.....Joan Baez......Martin Luther King......Krishnamurti.
the Dali Lama.....the list goes on....peace and love........wired mark
...james shaw's house.....Image

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » October 3rd, 2004, 4:05 am

Thank you, amigo! It was an adventure for me to get back up on the Stream Saddle and write away into the Mindset.

You are a good man to give James an opportunity to reach his potential. He is a better man for you own compassion, and for that I thank you.

Peace and wishing you a Good Night,

Cecil

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » October 3rd, 2004, 8:40 am

The semitic religions were based a long time ago on the belief that men (males) are basically rotten and need a firm hand (iron fist) to keep them in line.

Hence semitic religions offered ceremonies for men and left women aside.

(This of course was a vast break from the goddess based religions in which chosen women were holy priestesses and part of the inner sanctum).

Islam has kept the rules and the majority of Muslems subscribe to the religious dictates.
Hence, women have been circumcized, the veil has been encouraged, and well, keeping the temptation of women hidden has been accepted as a mandatory first precaution.

If a woman wanders in Israel in the haredi (ultra religious) quarters, that woman needs to wear a long-ish skirt and long-sleeves. Her head should be covered with a scarf.

Not knowing this, i once went visiting some secular friends who lived near Israel TV in Jerusalem. It was a hot mid-summer's afternoon and my shorts were short. Some ultra-religious men noticed me and to protect themselves from my influence, spat upon the ground.

Evil! The sight of legs incite men to inappropriate thoughts.

Different upbringing - different reactions. As for me, i learned a lesson. Spit isn't lethal, but rocks could be. Do not upset a man in his beliefs.

.....judih
(who stays away from Jerusalem)

Dave The Dov

Post by Dave The Dov » October 3rd, 2004, 8:59 am

Religion invinated by man
Because he thinks there is something higher then him
I ask you does that make sense????

Who is James Shaw????
Last edited by Dave The Dov on March 2nd, 2009, 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lightning Rod

Post by Lightning Rod » October 3rd, 2004, 11:26 am

Cecil,

This is a great debut for Sunday Stream on StudioEight. It is well thought and makes a great point.

It will be an honor to be displayed side by side with you here in the columnist section.

You are smarter than I am. You only attempt this foolishness once a week. I'm a glutton for punishment, I guess, for doing it twice a week.

This is a good one, my friend. I love the illustration. As any desert dweller knows, the barrel cactus can be the key to survival. Sort of like women. Kudos and welcome.

oh, check out your artist page:

http://www.studioeight.tv/artists/cecil ... cecil.html
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

Artguy

Theist Self

Post by Artguy » October 3rd, 2004, 11:29 am

Looking at the self as immoveable solid as a marble self sculpture does not allow for belief and human non self as it really is ....impermanent and empty....intolerance of the other comes from the solid self ignorance.....and negation of the pliable non self...........

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » October 3rd, 2004, 1:47 pm

Judih... your first line, "The semitic religions were based a long time ago on the belief that men (males) are basically rotten and need a firm hand (iron fist) to keep them in line," made me smile. Man knows himself and therefore extends that knowing onto other men, at least in regards to women. Like animals in the wilds, it is the male with the strongest genes, the strongest body, that conquers the weakest and is the 'accepted one' by the female in order to reproduce the next strongest to be.

But in humanity, the choice of the women's selection has become blurred, as we are diverse and very individualistic because of our minds and it's longings.. it's desires are multiplistic depending upon our moods and needs. The measurement of which male is the strongest gene bearer is based upon looks or wealth or power - measurement that can only be attained by the limits of satisfaction of the mate... which are numerous given the shear numbers of people throughout the world.

Globally we are shifting from tribal, cultural ways... an evolutionary stepping stone aided by our inventions and technologies. The human world increases in numbers, but yet decreases in size due to these steps we are taking.

It is certainly questionable whether those that follow the "new ways of the world" are more adaptable than those that remain in the "less advanced world", but nonetheless, it is occurring and the promises that it brings seems to point to a more diverse and colorful future in which more and more people share in a common ground which must, by necessity, put away many of the outdated ways of the past in order to make room for the "new."

As life is in a constant flux of change, so must our humanity. A stubborn and rigid adherence to the past can only bring strife. Our humanity is evolving, given the newness of our species in contrast to other species that we share the planet with. We have yet to reach our full collective potential, but have no other choice but to go forward. "Don't look back." as Mr. Zimmerman simply put it.

Thank you for your reply, my friend,

Cecil

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » October 3rd, 2004, 2:02 pm

L'Rod, thank you for your reply, mister! :wink: It is indeed my honor to share space on this board with you, enLightning Rod. Your writings are but a reflection of one that I would love to commune with face-to-face, and surely will one day.

Kurt - I finally can see the man... I enjoyed my 'gallery visit' with you on S/8 today. You look not quite like the man I envisoned, but I was not disappointed. You have wisdom and gentility written all over your face, and that made me comfortable. :D I agree with your "negation of the pliable non self...", for we must be pliable as our imaginations to sculpt our being into "the image of god"... wholly attuned.

Thank you both for your replies on this first of hopefully more rants, ramblings and ruminations of Sunday Streams.

cecil

mnaz

Post by mnaz » October 3rd, 2004, 5:27 pm

Enjoyed this, m.t.....

Spiritual evolution is the connection made with the divine within;
realized individually, relative to the whole...

"eternity is a dimension of the here and now", as the late Joseph
Campbell said.

Thanks for the read, Cecil. It's good to have you back!

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » October 3rd, 2004, 10:30 pm

beautiful cactus, cecil!!
(I missed your sunday streams).
see you,

Arcadia

anniefay

Post by anniefay » October 4th, 2004, 6:11 pm

I spent 16 years of my life living among those who held to Islam. I learned a great deal about them and even more about myself during this time.

I was not practicing my faith then (being greatly angered with God and trying to take it out on Him by being distant), but I still knew the things I had been taught from my childhood so knew my knowledge of God to be far superior to that of my new Arabic friends. In time I came to appreciate the deep faith they held in Allah (their name for God) and realized their faith was beautiful and genuine.

I was touched by the uniqueness of their culture, and thought we could learn a great deal from them. (Unfortunately it appears today that most are eager to condemn them for their differences instead of wanting to understand their culture.) Early on I was shown, with awe on my part, the deep feelings of respect and affection these men had for their wives and daughters.

Islamic men feel their greatest treasure is their wife. Her beauty is for their eyes alone, not to be displayed before the world. They do not parade nor treat their women as trophies to boost their egos. They respect their women. They do not respect women who flaunt their bodies and conduct themselves inappropriately. Me, I have a hard time finding anything wrong with this attitude.

Their culture asks the women to refrain from public displays of their charms. Because the females honor God, their husband/father and themselves they comply with this requirement of their culture. The amount a woman covers is determined by the culture of a particular geographic location. Some show almost nothing and appear like walking black mounds, others wear western attire and simply cover their hair. In some countries(USA for instance) the Islamic women choose to cover their heads. Recently in France the women were persecuted because their government wanted to place a ban on the wearing of head coverings. Did this news story sound like these women/girls were being forced to do something they found hateful?

When I visit my Arabic friends, out of respect for them, I always dress modestly. I would not want them to be embarrassed by me. It is an easy thing to comply with someone else's culture... It is not always easy to understand it, but one will never understand what they are unwilling to comply with and make an attempt to accept. One will never bridge the chasm between two cultures by vehemntly condemning the other for its differences.

oh, yeah...Arcadia's right, nice cactus.[/i]

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » October 4th, 2004, 9:51 pm

Arcadia - It's nice to be back and to see you still around! That old barrel cactus started out as a single headed cactus but one time, years ago, some damage happened to it and first one new head appeared, then another and another until it stabilzed with a total of 8 heads! It has been doing well in it 12-14 inch pot for many years now... and I still haven't given it a name! :wink:

Thank you for your reply, Annie. It is always good to see you around all these different boards we have going now, and I always have to stop and see what is up with you.

I followed your train of thought on this reply without a hitch. The Stream was hopefully written in such a manner that I tried not to offend but only try to understand, and maybe share my insights on the Middle Eastern Islam culture. I must say that it is rather strict, in comparison to our Western ways, but it is also very different from not only the West, but the Orient and many other places.

In today’s climate, at least in the countries other than the Mid East, the women are fighting for the freedoms on many levels... equal pay, equality in the workplace, breaking the 'glass ceiling', many choosing work over motherhood or being a 'soccer mom', etc, etc... These challenges to what used to be are coming at us quick and furiously, and in so doing the call for women to have a choice in their lives is spreading throughout the world... except, apparently, in the Middle East. Which is not to say the preferred way of dress for the practioners of Islam is restricted to the Mid East, but that too has spread. Even here in Phar Lepht I have seen many times women dressed in the "Islam-style", although not ala Taliban, of course.

A good friend of mine reminded me that the women Mennonites that live in Mexico adhere to an extremely modest dress code - bonnets, a scarf across their shoulders, long dresses to at least their ankles, socks over the feet... all of this with the simplest of materials, almost matching in style to their "sisterhood."

The time this whole rant first came on for me was when I was watching the Olympics this year. There was a brief comment about an Iranian woman who won the female sharpshooter Gold for her country (I believe that was the category...), and how she adhered to her customary dress code... only hands and face visible.

If you followed the Olympics, you certainly know of the track and field events along with the swimming competitions, volleyball, basketball and even softball events that the majority of the world initially participated in. It was readily apparent that the women of the Mid East were not there in this field of women worldwide competing with each other to bring home a medal to their country. Not one of those women were any less for dressing in accordance with the chosen sport - swim suits for swimmers, shorts and sleeveless shirts for basketball and softball, etc, etc...

On one hand, you described the Islamic men's high regard for their wives, but yet, one can readily see reports of, at least in Islamic countries, rape and abuse of the women. I have read reports of Islamic women that were raped and then abandoned by their families - fathers and mothers, brothers and sisters, husbands and friends, simply because they were forcibly raped. The stories and videos that came out of Afghanistan, where the fundamentalist Islamic men obviously allowed no freedoms to the women, I found particularly abhorrent. If the truth were known, the basic Islamic family is under complete domination by the father, then sons... the women are of no great importance other than for reproduction.

It is certainly a 180 degree difference in opinion, 'westernized' women and the women of the Orient, and India, as to what an Islamic man says versus the reality of how his wife lives in comparison to these mentioned countries. The domination of women in any country, by not allowing the woman to vote, choose her path in life, to carry a child, or a multitude of other issues that are 'on the board' in other countries, does not seem to be a choice amongst the Islamic controlled countries.

It is not whether an Islamic woman chooses the extreme dress of her belief, but the question is "Are the women free to choose this particular lifestyle?" lies at the heart of it all.

As I stated in the original Stream, the concept of all women to be free is the biggest of issues for the future. If women worldwide were able to exercise a right to vote, and to vote freely without another’s pressure, I believe the world and all its petty wars would slowly cease.

Women, as I'm sure you know, inherently have a great deal of power. In capitalist societies, it is the woman that controls the purse-strings, it is the woman that can "tame the beast of masculinity". And conversely, this is also inherently known by men. But due to the physical strength differences between the two sexes, man dominates woman... but the domination if one of falseness. They traditionally overpower women only in the physical strength department, which lessens the impact of what a woman wants, needs, or desires.

Bottom line - men are threatened by woman's power. Men that feel threatened by women, control women. Men are threatened enough by other men - the workplace, advancements, the military chain of command, gangs and teams, etc., etc., and when you add the threat of woman to that list, well, is it any wonder why there is so much war and violence in our world? Why there is so much inequality and injustice in the world?

I say that if mankind does not attempt to grow, not only old, but UP, and that means both men and women, and if women do not take hold of their own power, the world will continue on its bloody path of senseless greed and violent behavior.

[enough]

Thank you, Ms. Annie, for you reply and your inspiration. I do appreciate it.

Cecil

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » October 4th, 2004, 11:22 pm

Cecil -

you are a visionary, a discoverer, and a questioner... you lay it out on the table like you see it for everyone to see and i admire you for every word you write

yes, we are divine creatures and yes, we need to grow and yes, it's not always easy to understand other cultures than our own and yes, insights like yours should be explored and discussed...

thanks for this Stream, Cecil.... i look forward to more...

i am only one of many who follow your work and i'm so very pleased to see you here putting them in one place to be read by all

all of the posts on this thread were great! each one of them...

i love your streams!

i can't touch all the issues you covered in this post right now because it's late and you made me think so i have to think for now...

fine work and i love the cactus, too!

:D

e_dog

Post by e_dog » October 5th, 2004, 2:10 pm

a question:

what is the scale of that cactus pic?
I don't think 'Therefore, I am.' Therefore, I am.

Return to “Sunday Stream”