Sunday Stream (89) ~ Mindflood

Poetic insight & philosophy by Cecil Lee.

Moderator: mtmynd

mtmynd

Sunday Stream (89) ~ Mindflood

Post by mtmynd » August 6th, 2006, 12:10 pm

Mindflood
I came across this passage by Zen Master Fayan regarding sectarianism in a book I have been re-reading, (Zen Essence - the Science of Freedom) :

"Zen is not founded or sustained on the premise that there is a doctrine to be transmitted. It is just a matter of direct guidance to the human mind, perception of its essence, and achievement of awakening, How could there be any sectarian styles to be valued?
There were differences to the modes of teaching set up by later Zen teachers, and there were both tradition and change. The methods employed by a number of famous Zen masters came to be continued as traditions, to the point where their descendants became sectarians and did not get to the original reality. Eventually they made may digressions, contradicting and attacking each other. They do not distinguish the profound from the superficial, and do not know that the Great Way has no sides and the streams of truth have the same flavor."

The word sectarianism is one of the buzzwords ('Sectarian Violence') of the wars going on in the Middle East and this quote certainly pertains , not only to Zen, but all religions. The word 'sectarian' is aptly defined as: "adhering or confined to the dogmatic limits of a sect or denomination; partisan" which occurs in all major (and minor) religions of the world.

Christianity is awash in sectarianism beginning with Catholicism, splintering into innumerable divisions, each one convinced of their interpretation of the Biblical path of Jesus as being the 'One' to be followed for redemption.

Buddhism has its many 'schools of thought' - Theravada, Mahayana, Vajrayana, then these have further off shoots. Islam has it's various branches like Shi'ite, Sunni, Sufi and their off shoots.

Sectarianism is rampant in the world of Religion. So it was like a pinch on the nose when I read that even in Zen there are various 'schools' that have their own idea of how to transmit the Way. It's all collectively stupid. As Zen Master Fayan stated" "They do not distinguish the profound from the superficial, and do not know that the Great Way has no sides and the streams of truth have the same flavor."

In the worlds of religion followers memorize passages, sayings, and quotes using these phrases as attachments to the religion particular to them. In so doing these folks call themselves by these various names, i.e., Catholic, Hindu, Buddhist, Jew (Judeist), Muslim... whatever and wherever they attached to.

It is this very attachment that confuses mankind, bringing partisan beliefs... blinders to the rest of the world. We do not draw upon our inner but rely upon the outer world to (hopefully) find the freedom we so desire. The origins of all the world's religions were begun by the teachings and preachings of only a handful of people that found their own inner peace and freedom within, not another's doctrines, but their own Self. This is something that mankind has been so fearful of knowing - 'Know Thyself'... two words that enabled Krishna, Moses, Jesus, Mohammed (and thousands of others throughout life that we never hear about) to awaken within, the One that unites all existence.

It is this Absolute that is 'the same flavor of truth that streams from within'. Our only true attachment should be to this Oneness within all of us, no matter what word we give it. Reuniting with our true Self is the only way to find the freedom our hearts and minds seek.

It has been said that Freedom is necessary for Love to bloom. We won't find freedom through politics or religion for those are developments after achieving freedom... varying ways to live with what we have acknowledged within our own being. These different streams all carry the same message and eventually reach the same ocean. In nature we don't see different streams fighting each other as they meet, but rather a blending of oneness, both rushing together to the same destination. It is only our mind and it's divisions calling each river a different name, but not realizing all the rivers are made of one water.

The religions of the world can be likened to various rivers, each splendid upon observing their path thru different geographical locations. But when we are thirsty, we can sip from any river and it will satisfy our thirst. No need to refuse the essence because we don't like the name given to river. That is foolishness. But yet our humanity has an insistence upon choosing where they get their thirst quenched believing their river is better for them than another.

The essence of each river equally can drown us if we are not cautious and aware of its clarity, speed and depth. In various times, each river may flood and cause great danger to those too close to it. The same for each religion. What we don't realize is that we are not the river but observors on the banks. We are not the religion but followers of its flow. To believe otherwise will drown the unaware. Seek the essence over the river for the river is but the essence in constant movement, never at rest. Beware of the waters that do not move, do not change, for those stagnant waters will bring dis-ease. The Great Way has no attachments, no sectarianism, no time for the past, but only flows accordingly.

Cecil
06 August 2006

Note on pictures: Phar Lepht (ELP) was hit by heavy rains causing extensive damage to not only our city but many smaller towns in the surrounding areas. This was the heaviest floods in over 100 years. The rains have been around in varying degrees for 10 days as of yesterday, 8/05. Unbelievable given the severe drought we've been experiencing for a long, long time.
Following the Floodwaters from McKelligon Canyon 8.03.06
(in our neighborhood)
From the overflow of the canyon dam... never seen by me!

Same waters running under a road.

The continuation of the waters heading towards a culvert for runoff down the mountain to reek havoc on Hiway 54 before heading to -

Even this dam overflowed bring unneeded waters to the local neighborhood in the low-lying area.

I'm quite convinced because of the floods, this Stream overflowed itself with water references! :lol:
Last edited by mtmynd on August 22nd, 2006, 9:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

mousey1

Post by mousey1 » August 6th, 2006, 1:17 pm

glug glug

sipping from streams and rivers is for pikers

glug glug

glug glug

yes, yes mt

I know what you mean

but sometimes

sometimes

don't you just want to gulp down a good hefty drink

and just for once

feel satisfied

thanks for the stream

I'll try to sip it

delicately

(Awful about the flooding! Frightening streams of change ahead I fear...perhaps dread would be more succinct.)
I used to walk with my head in the clouds but I kept getting struck by lightning!
Now my head twitches and I drool alot. Anonymouse

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v475/mousey1/shhhhhh.gif[/img]

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » August 6th, 2006, 2:12 pm

Yo, mousey-one! Always pleasant to see your smile... it make me smile. :) :) :) (see I told you!)

Sip deliciously from the cup of giving
for the contents may intoxicate you
leaving you adrift upon the waters of life
flowing wherever the Tao may take you.

mnaz

Post by mnaz » August 6th, 2006, 2:55 pm

I like it. Many different paths up the mountain.... many different rivers flow to the sea. And each path becomes the destination, as one proceeds. But no such analogy may illumine so many of the "truest believers" in the one way, if other ways are believed false, God-forbidden, or inadequate. As walls go up and the "unworthy" are partitioned, the analogy is truncated-- sure you could drink from any river, but only one river will quench your thirst and sustain you-- all other rivers flow with "impure" water, which poisons you....

Enjoyed the read, Cecil. I hope Phar Lepht is drying out OK. Maybe you'll get some good wildflower blooms....

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » August 6th, 2006, 3:16 pm

mnaz: "...all other rivers flow with "impure" water, which poisons you...."

Those that are steadfast in that belief will never enter "the Kingdom of Heaven" Christian or otherwise... bless their little pea pickin' hearts! They are so asleep!! :lol:

Hope you're having a fun day. Good day for a birthday.

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » August 6th, 2006, 5:58 pm

thanks for the stream, Cecil!!!
saludos & soon evaporation & sunny days for your zone!

Arcadia

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » August 6th, 2006, 6:39 pm

Those that are steadfast in that belief will never enter "the Kingdom of Heaven" Christian or otherwise... bless their little pea pickin' hearts! They are so asleep!!
Listening to Pema Chodron on Bill Moyer's Faith and Reason show. One thing she said still lingers in my mind. "Every sentient being can be awakened."

I crossed that dam a couple hundred times, just west of El Paso I think. Your picture is the first time I have seen water coming over it.

I was thinking about Nate and the great flood of phar lepht last year. I am happy to hear you suffered no ill from the storms

Saludos on the stream Cecil.

I am trying to excercise some restraint. and resist the urge to ramble all over it. Oh well, I think the damage is done, dang it.

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » August 6th, 2006, 8:14 pm

ola, arcadia! today was warm so I had a chance to cut the grass which was totally wild. light clouds whispering calmness and the humidid is much too high for us desert dwellers, but the temperatures are bearable compared to other parts of our country.

truck - yes, Bill Moyers is one of my favorite tv people and I try to watch his show whenever I know its on. I missed the Pema show but know what she means by saying "Every sentient being can be awakened." The key word there is 'can' which doesn't necessarily translate into 'should', but the possibility of awakening <i>is</i> the province of all of us. Unfortunately, Nature has doled out small doses here and there, just to spread the message I believe, but I hope one day She'll allow everyone to awaken. The world would be much better off for it.

The dam: this one is not west of ELP, but off 54 North after taking the Alamogordo 54 overpass off I-10East. We live somewhat off 54, not terribly far from that dam. That was the first time I had ever seen the dam in operation. When the Corps of Engineers built it, most folks were sceptical of its size and viewed the project as an overkill. How wrong, but glad, we were.

Thanks, truck, for dropping in. I appreciate it, as usual.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » August 6th, 2006, 10:54 pm

I used to run 54 a lot headed up from El Paso to the Texas pan handle. I called it the rattle snake trail. That two lane black top shimmering in the heat and what looked like shadows streaking across the road in front of me. I always wanted to check out the Inn Of The Mountain Gods on the Mescalero Apache reservation around Ruidoso. SooZen had a picture of it on her blog I think.

I don't know why everyone should not be awakened. I got to think about that. Are some people more human than others?

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » August 6th, 2006, 11:38 pm

truck - the Inn of the Mountain Gods is off of 70 west of Ruidoso.... about 30 minutes or so east of Tularosa which you passed thru on 54. I enjoyed a trip on that road up to Dalhart in route to Iowa several years ago. Nice quiet road with some interesting views I thought.
I don't know why everyone should not be awakened. I got to think about that. Are some people more human than others?
Awaken to your inner spirit, your true Self... pretty much what all religions, knowingly or not, are trying to get people to do, altho most teachers and preachers, priests or imans, more than likely are not awake themselves. It poses one of the great dilemmas of Life - how to attain Oneness. Various Eastern religions/philosophies have a more realistic view of this than other areas, most likely because they have been practicing those goals far longer and know more clearly what the goal is, but you have skeptics know matter what.

Some people may <i>appear</i> to be more human than others, but what they have learned is available to all, with few following the call, leaving those relatively few to seem more human. Re: Siddartha, Jesus, even Moses or Mohammed for beginners... of course I'm not including the various peoples within Buddhism or the Zen Masters... the list is long, as is human life upon this planet. These people I speak of could be called 'spiritual giants' as they've influenced large groups of people with their words.

But being 'more human' also takes place among what we can call 'mental giants'... Einstein is the first that comes to mind, but there have been many within that classification. Most of those 'mental giants' have some belief in a greater power within and rely upon that to find their full potential.

And let us not leave out the 'physical giants', not necessarily in heighth, but in muscle power teamed with the knowledge of tapping in to their own 'inner strength'. More human only because they followed their potential.

jota da vida

sunday streaming

Post by jota da vida » August 6th, 2006, 11:39 pm

yo cece, purrfect analogy

we all follow our dreams
the streams follow the sand
until it reaches the river
running past land
to fill the seas

heya. great talking to you again
me still here

and you stilltrucking, take heart
i live on

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » August 7th, 2006, 10:07 am

jota, jota, jota!! :lol: good to see your name. how long's it been?

thx for stopping in and i hope it's only the beginning...

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » August 13th, 2006, 11:54 am

"Language is a bitch with an ice pick"
thank you jota
thank you for a poetic ice pick
to chip the ice from my heart
come on back jota

Return to “Sunday Stream”