Sunday Stream (119) ~ Gone with the Music

Poetic insight & philosophy by Cecil Lee.

Moderator: mtmynd

mtmynd

Sunday Stream (119) ~ Gone with the Music

Post by mtmynd » March 25th, 2007, 11:50 am

[Entertaining my ears this morn with the sounds of DeVotchka, I began a Stream when I recalled something in the past... not overly distant.. another Stream from the year 2004 re-tuned it for today...]

Gone with the Music
Music (mew-zik): a) the sounds of a contented cat [mews] b)what a cool cat listens to. c)what some cats know how to play.

Music... the inspirator (someone, something or some place that delivers inspiration). What flavor of sound will match your present frame of mind? Maybe you have no preferences... just some music... any music to get the proverbial ball rolling...

Music helps to focus and we all need to focus (often). It's enough to focus on our everyday existence - jobs, bills, relationships. The outside world is focused upon survival, an important task indeed.

Focus on the music... your pick. Go ahead and play that one... yeah, that one will do... you're not familiar with that music..? It's okay... relax... hear that music..? It's a little different... okay, okay, it's more than a little different... it's not anything you've heard before, but it's good... really. Just relax and hear what these musicians are doing... open up and listen - the composition, the blend of sounds from the instruments... the voice - hear that? Soothing.... and that horn... I don't know what that is called... it's from the middle east or from India... someplace 'over there'... and those drums - the rhythms, like an excited heart pounding in joy.

Now... listen.... listen to the music. Go beyond the hearing, you can hear it now... ((now listen))... the total piece, put together by music makers... musicians playing together for the joy of playing. Producing a mood within you... within us... the tune begins and the tune ends... but the focus, the oneness of the piece, painting pictures, massaging the ears, the eye sees the beauty, the body feels the dance...

Music igniting movement... no longer hearing the music, no longer listening... our movements join the music in an abandonment... a union of music and dance becoming one...

We're safe within the music, the music holds us, dances with us. We feel free. The music, the dance... a joyful surrender of ego into the ocean of sound embracing us...

Then the musicians change. Playing a more thoughtful sound from deep within... the dance becomes slower, each bend of the arm, the slow spin of the body... burrowing deeper and deeper within... full trust in the song... uniting with the environment that has been created upon the stage of the performance.

We humans have devised many ways to focus... some call it just getting high, but that's not fair, is it? Some people attempt getting high, but fail miserably - bip! they stumble and loose all focus... spinning in a swirl of confusion... the confusion of choices. They cannot pick from the overabundance in their mind. Struggling to hold on to one, their mind sees another then another, swinging attention from this thing to that thing, not knowing which is the one to bring a stop from all this nonsense. Confusion... like a tornado hitting the mind and jumbling up it strict, logical organization... stuff and things flying all around between the ears.

Confusion needs calm to dispel it's energy. Calm brings focus... a clarity to our thoughts.

Inhale deeply, approach the keyboard with a mission - write what's in your head, boy! Alright, alright... I'm typing now.. using a sieve to catch thoughts. The music is distracting me from what I'm writing... I keep wanting to go with the seductive flow, luring me to change course... but I see no words to use... a mood is swinging over me... i type s-l-o-w-e-r and I am being swept a w a y into the musical journey... yes, it is working.... i can't do both - type and flow, not here, not now.. maybe after the experience is over, then I can relive the experience... put it to words.... sounds....
((ommmmmm...))
The journey is all there is... no destination. We are already here, now. The journey : it is slow... it is smooth... no longer mind ... surrendering... at ease... no longer any thing... adrift in the no thing... gone to where the music went after it was heard.

the inspirator promises nothing
but only gives of itself -
an invitation
to embark upon
a journey

Cecil
25 March 007
SHADOW PINE
(Ponderosa Pine)

Back Road to Cloudcroft, New Mexico
(altitude: 8600+ feet)
[Photo taken 3/20/07. late a.m.]

Artguy

Post by Artguy » March 25th, 2007, 2:07 pm

get on that rollercoster bop ya man once yer on ya can't get off....

"Charlie Parker looked like Buddha..."

mnaz

Post by mnaz » March 26th, 2007, 2:23 am

Music has been a "portal" for me at times. It has literally taken me away from this sphere for unknown quantities of frozen time... funny thing.

I'm almost afraid to try and make music, to study it too closely, lest I lose that "portal" and the whole vibration becomes de-mystified. I feel the same way about my mythic desert reaches sometimes... Perhaps I shouldn't study the rocks and ridges too closely...

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » March 26th, 2007, 9:13 am

go with it, artguy... like a painting. :wink:

mnaz - may i suggest you don't study the music but rather let the music study you... much like the rocks and ridges - your presence is shared with these things, ya know? :)

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » March 26th, 2007, 1:12 pm

"gone to where the music went after it was heard", wow!! that´s very zen and it also remainds me to:

"the wind bloweth where it listeth and thou
hearest the sound thereof but canst not tell
whence it cometh and whither it goeth"

yeah, music is great! and the ponderosa...!!! Was it also a rancho´s name in an old early seventies serie?? El Gran Chaparral?... Bonanza?... Valle de pasiones maybe??

thanks for the beautiful stream, Cecil!!!
saludos,

Arcadia

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » March 26th, 2007, 6:59 pm

gracias, arcadia! the ponderosa... yes, i remember bonanza... surprised you got that show down in argentina! and that you too remember! mundito :)

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » March 27th, 2007, 5:10 pm

yes... increíble pero real!!! meanwhile there were shots everywhere outside, we spent the afternoons at home seeing old far-southwestern made in USA series. Mundito, sí!

Michael

Post by Michael » March 31st, 2007, 8:50 pm

Nice, cecil.

And there’s music to write and there’s music to sing.
And there’s music to feel and there’s music to ring.
And there’s music to touch every existing thing.
And there’s music for music and music I bring.

To friendship,
Michael

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » April 12th, 2007, 11:49 pm

Thx, Michael.. I appreciate that.

Return to “Sunday Stream”