Unscientific Survey of Literary and Other Cultural Tastes

The Philosophy of Art & Aesthetics.

Moderator: e_dog

e_dog

Unscientific Survey of Literary and Other Cultural Tastes

Post by e_dog » February 7th, 2005, 12:38 am

INSTRUCTIONS: All can answer as many or none of these silly questions, with more or less simple or detailed explanations of reasons or without providing reasons is acceptable. Subjectivists replace the term "better" below with "favorite" etc.

1. Better poet: Dylan Thomas or Bob Dylan?

2. Better ancient Chinese sage: Confucious or Lao-Tzu?

3a. Contains more wisdom: The Art of War or the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance?

3b. Better Che: Guerrila Warfare or Motorcycle Diaries?

4. Better modernist series: In Search of Lost Time (Proust) or the Duluoz Legend (Kerouac)?

5. Emily Dickinson v. Walt Whitman?

6. Christ v. Nietzsche?

7. Adam Smith or Karl Marx?

8. Impressionism or Expressionism?

9. Is it better to lie or to steal?

10. Inspired poetry: drunk or sober?

perezoso

Post by perezoso » February 7th, 2005, 6:05 pm

1. Better poet: Dylan Thomas or Bob Dylan?

Dylan Thomas

2. Better ancient Chinese sage: Confucious or Lao-Tzu?

Lao-tzu.

3a. Contains more wisdom: The Art of War or the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance?

Art of war

3b. Better Che: Guerrila Warfare or Motorcycle Diaries?

Che Guerrero. Made communism sexy and appealing to millions.

4. Better modernist series: In Search of Lost Time (Proust) or the Duluoz Legend (Kerouac)?

Kerouac. After a 100 or so pages of "In Remembrance of Things Past," was overcome with nausea.

5. Emily Dickinson v. Walt Whitman?

Tough one. 20% of Walt is great.

6. Christ v. Nietzsche?

Gotta go with the Kraut there (Nietzsche).

7. Adam Smith or Karl Marx?

Tough. Smith was more left than many realize--the "invisble hand" was to be corrected with help from the govt. when things got too bad for poor and good for rich . But Marx, with many reservations.

8. Impressionism or Expressionism?

Expressionism. Cut-off ears over waterlilies any day.

9. Is it better to lie or to steal?

Steal, then lie.

10. Inspired poetry: drunk or sober?

neither

mousey1

Post by mousey1 » February 7th, 2005, 6:42 pm

I can't play!!!!!!!

I DON'T KNOW WHO HALF THESE FUCKERS ARE!!!!!!!!!!!

:roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry! Sometimes the :twisted: makes me do it!

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » February 7th, 2005, 6:54 pm

LOL!!!!!!!

hehe

hester_prynne

Post by hester_prynne » February 7th, 2005, 8:08 pm

Okay, I'll take your quiz, but I might do some write in answers.

1 Bob Dylan or Dylan Thomas
Bob Dylan

2. Confucius or Lao-Tzu
Confucius

3. Art of War or Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
Art of War

b. ?

4. Better modernist series
Kerouac

5. Walt Whitman......of course!

6. Christ v. Nietzsche
Nietzsche

7. Adam Smith or Karl Marx
Harpo Marx

8. Impressionism or Expressionism
Expressionism

9. Better to lie or steal?
Steal

10. Drunk or sober
sober mostly, cannibussed, sometimes, drunk, NEVER!

do I get a prize now?
8)

e_dog

Post by e_dog » February 7th, 2005, 8:35 pm

hester:

prizes t be awarded later after more entries rec'd.

so far you and perezoso are tied.
I don't think 'Therefore, I am.' Therefore, I am.

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » February 7th, 2005, 10:47 pm

OK, here goes......so like I really wanna participate in this contest but I'm like listening to Bob Dylan and he keeps singing the answers are blowin' in the wind, but they're like not comin' to me, y'know? So I'm trying to not go gentle into this night but I'm tellin' ya, I'm lautzu at quizzes like this and I'm getting a little confucious in my head! Who was it that said, "All the world's a sage?" Hmmm.... Wasn't it Che Rivera who rode his Harley into Cuba and took the place over? Then he went to Bolivia to teach a course in motorcycle mechanics and wrote in his diary about it and they published the darn thing? No, wait! That's not right! See? I told you. I'm so confuscious, I might be confusciousing you, now! Does this mean I'm going to dulouz this darn contest? Dammit!

And I was always so proust of myself before when I thought I knew stuff but now, well, ya might as well just kero wack me in the noggin, 'cause this is a dickinson of a test! Christ! I thought it was really nietzsche and all that you posted it here and I figured I could walt right in and use my clever whit, man, but NO!

I'm a ditz, dammit! Wasn't it Karl who had that game show where the little birdie came down when you said the magic word and they gave the contestants a hundred bucks or something? No wait, that was the other Marx brother, what's his name?

But I do know this. Adam had a lotta balls. Or two anyway, or else the whole thing wouldn't have gotten started to begin with and I think it was his brother John Smith who discovered the urim and the thummum, some rocks that he could peer into to see the future or something. Please don't quote me on that. I'm no witness for jehovah or anything! I'm only trying to make a good impressionism on you and expressionism myself well so I can take part in this unscientific survey of the illiterate like me.

But I just want to tell you in advance, and prior to and before you grade me on this that at first, I was thinking it would be better to lie and pretend I knew the answers but then I thought I'd steal perezoso's answers or hester's answers or both and combine them somehow but I didn't do any of the above. I just got drunk and then sober again and I was inspired to write all of this instead. What did you expect? My cultural taste is all in my mouth, probably, anyway. And I have a lot of lost time on my hands. :roll: :twisted: :P :shock: :D :) :lol: :shock:

e_dog

Post by e_dog » February 8th, 2005, 2:52 am

doreen is currently in the lead!

(how did the survey turn into a race: poll fever?)

Zlatko Waterman

Post by Zlatko Waterman » February 8th, 2005, 10:38 am

A first-rate impersonation of one of my favorite entertainers, "Elvira, Mistress of the Dark" . . . ( Cassandra Peterson):

http://www.elvira.com/

--Z

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » February 8th, 2005, 12:17 pm

hahahahahaha! moi? in the lead? That's like way confusiousing to me! I thought I did a laotzu job! *wink* Hey, e-dog, thanks for lettin' me have some pun wit ya! ;)

------------
Zlatko- all I know of Elvira is she introduces horror flix on TV, scantilly clad with a bad do ;) She does comedy routines, too? Uses malapropisms? hmmmm.... Guess I missed 'em! I never thought of her as an entertainer, only a TV image. I never watched her routine (if she has one, which I'm assuming she does by your post.) Now I want to! hahahaha.

Archie Bunker had some lines which were some of the best malapropisms I've ever heard. There were some great writers on that show! Mrs. Malaprop would have been proud!

http://www.fun-with-words.com/mala_malapropisms.html

oh and Bush always gets me laughin' with his!
"We cannot let terrorists and rogue nations hold this nation hostile or hold our allies hostile." - George W. Bush

mousey1

Post by mousey1 » February 8th, 2005, 12:55 pm

:D Krikey Dreen, pretty dern clever writin'. 'Course you're in the lead....sad thing is you're disqualified, board owner and all, wouldn't be "proper cricket", ya know. 8)

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » February 8th, 2005, 1:13 pm

Here it goes...

1- Both

2- Lao-Tzu

3a- I didn´t read them

3b- Che

4- I didn´t read them

5- I read more Walt than Emily so the answer will have to wait

6- Christ

7- Karl Marx

8- Expressionism

9- It depends

10- Both

e_dog

Post by e_dog » February 8th, 2005, 8:17 pm

doreen's lead has sunsequently been dimished for illegal use of repeat puns -- by include "confusciosing" and "laotzu" in her original responses and then again in her comments acknowledge her then-lead. this results in an undisclosed indefinite point reduction, sorry!

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » February 8th, 2005, 9:38 pm

Awww shucks! And I was trying to malapropriately answer your generalosity with the exact same plagues on words as I did formally, 'cause I was drinking, er thinking, that it would get me renditional points! Cursives! Furled again!

*sigh* But that's OK. As mousey1 said, maybe I'm misquantified anyway 'cause I own the bored.

It was fun praying, anyway! Just wandering, am I still in the punning?

Just goes to show ya, it's not a good idea to deplete yourself. It's no good to say the same thing over and over, either. Not a wise idea to replete, expressively if you've got nothing worth saying.

:? 8) :) :D :wink:

e_dog

Post by e_dog » February 12th, 2005, 2:13 am

and the winner is:

Hester !!

as doreen was disqualified for over-punning and perezoso is regrettably no longer around to claim his share of the prize.

Arcadia receives Honorable Mention!

the prize which Hester wins is an invitation to deliver the first ever Surveyorship Esteemed Lecture an essay or prosem of any length, on any topic of your choosing, to be posted on the Anti-Academy forum. of course anyone can post on the forum, but none can rightfully claim to be doing so under the banner of this prestigious honor. We all await your lecture with the utmost anticipation, Hester.

Congratulations.

Return to “The Anti-Academy”