The tradition of Go

The Philosophy of Art & Aesthetics.

Moderator: e_dog

Traveller13

The tradition of Go

Post by Traveller13 » June 9th, 2005, 3:39 pm

I was inspired to write about this game while reading the chess thread.

Go is a very simple chinese game, that can take a very long time and be very addictive.

By simple I mean that the rules are very simple to learn, and it can seem easy to play at first. But once you go into it your mind makes loops making loops making loops. I played it once and found it brilliant!

For those who don't know what I'm on about, Go requires a square board of lines forming rows&colums, a certain number of black and white pieces, and an oponent.

the one in black starts. one by one, you and your oponent place pieces on the board, on the row/column intersections.

The aim is to make points. You can do this in 2 ways
either by surrounding the oponent's pieces, like this
in which case you take off the board the pieces you have surrounded. They're called "prisonners". If the oponent then puts a piece inside the "eye" you have formed, it is automatically taken away.
The other way to make points is to control as much territory as you can, by making "eyes" that are impossible to take (ie that have at least 2 free spaces in the middle).

It's best to start with miniboards like 9x9 spaces.

to get more familiar with the game there's alxays usgo.org
[i]~"Open your eyes, and open your eyes again"[/i]

e_dog

Post by e_dog » June 10th, 2005, 10:50 am

there was a movie a few years back called, i think, Pi (like the mathematical constant) which was sort of a better but fictional version of a beautiful mind or something similar. a mathematician who thinks that he can find a formula that will decode all the fundamental patterns or structures of the universe or reality. in this movie, if i am not mistaken, two of the characters play the game of Go.
I don't think 'Therefore, I am.' Therefore, I am.

Return to “The Anti-Academy”