The Philosophy of Art & Aesthetics.

Moderator: e_dog

e_dog

The (Political) Art of the Future

Post by e_dog » November 15th, 2005, 11:58 pm

http://www.lacan.com/frameXXIII7.htm

Alain Badiou's Fifteen Theses on Contemporary Art

selected excerpts:

5. Every art develops from an impure form, and the progressive purification of this impurity shapes the history both of a particular artistic truth and of its exhaustion.

12. Non-imperial art must be as rigorous as a mathematical demonstration, as surprising as an ambush in the night, and as elevated as a star.

14. Since it is sure of its ability to control the entire domain of the visible and the audible via the laws governing commercial circulation and democratic communication, Empire no longer censures anything. All art, and all thought, is ruined when we accept this permission to consume, to communicate and to enjoy. We should become the pitiless censors of ourselves.

15. It is better to do nothing than to contribute to the invention of formal ways of rendering visible that which Empire already recognizes as existent.
I don't think 'Therefore, I am.' Therefore, I am.

tinkerjack

Post by tinkerjack » November 16th, 2005, 4:11 pm

15. It is better to do nothing than to contribute to the invention of formal ways of rendering visible that which Empire already recognizes as existent.
Marcuse also dedicated much of his work to aesthetics and his final book, The Aesthetic Dimension (1979), briefly summarizes his defense of the emancipatory potential of aesthetic form in so-called "high culture." Marcuse thought that the best of the bourgeois tradition of art contained powerful indictments of bourgeois society and emancipatory visions of a better society. Thus, he attempted to defend the importance of great art for the projection of emancipation and argued that cultural revolution was an indispensable part of revolutionary politics.
http://www.uta.edu/english/dab/illumina ... ell12.html
David Brinkley (probably before your time) called him a
Nincompoop.
I thought he was pretty interesting myself.
12. Non-imperial art must be as rigorous as a mathematical demonstration, as surprising as an ambush in the night, and as elevated as a star.
8)
free rice

I used to be smart

e_dog

Post by e_dog » November 16th, 2005, 11:19 pm

who's D. Brinkley?

Marcuse was a genius, tho not quite as great as a few other Frankfurt Schoolers like Adorno. did you know that he Marcuse worked for the precursor to the CIA during WWII?
I don't think 'Therefore, I am.' Therefore, I am.

tinkerjack

Post by tinkerjack » November 18th, 2005, 10:34 am

Huntley Brinkley Report. Nightly news show from the 50's and 60's.

http://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/B/htm ... leydav.htm

You know I am in way over my head on any discussion of philosophy and art. That Weimar decadent art from the 20's haunts me.
free rice

I used to be smart

Return to “The Anti-Academy”