Question about Nietzsche

The Philosophy of Art & Aesthetics.

Moderator: e_dog

stilltrucking

Question about Nietzsche

Post by stilltrucking » February 5th, 2006, 4:32 am

The eternal return. For a while I thought it was about reincarnation. But now I know that is not it. Somehow I am thinking about a bit from the Hebrew bible. Something about a dog returning to its vomit.

Not asking you to do my homework but I would appreciate hearing what you think. Just off the top of your head. A spontaneous ramble. I got a lot on my mind these days. . Hard to focus.

I don't know why you think it is your fault. We are all just lazy.

Since perezoso is gone this board has languished. I miss the dude.

e_dog

Post by e_dog » February 6th, 2006, 1:02 am

there are two ways, at least, to envision the idea of eternal return in the Nietzschean philosophy.

1) the metaphysical version -- that he universe actually does involve a perhaps endless? series of repeating the process, that there is like a loop or repeating pattern of events such that everything literally happens over and over the same, tho there would be no way to know this but N. apparently thought it could be demonsytrated.

2) the 'ethical' version -- from Gay Science, i believe, that one can determine if they are living a good life, or have a strong heroic character, etc. if the following holds -- that you look at the prospect of having to have your life repeated endlessly, such as as a result of living in the universe described above in thesis [1], as an agreeable possibility. this can be a thought experiment that regards the metaphysical eternal return as a mere hypothesis or a fiction rather than the truth regarding 'reality.' dig?
I don't think 'Therefore, I am.' Therefore, I am.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » February 6th, 2006, 3:28 pm

His work suggests that the old pagan (and Nietzschean) doctrine of eternal recurrence will be proven when lasers can be built that are sufficiently powerful to study photons. According to the Big Bang theory, photons must be stable, while in Dr Hughes’ theory they are as unstable as anything else in the universe.
http://www.geocities.com/osred/cosmology.htm

Interesting article, but I have not checked out the guys’ bona fides.

I appreciate the answer Herr Professor. I got to think about it.

I thought eternal recurrence and the will to power were somehow related.

Until then the ignominious death had seemed to him the chief argument against the Messianic claim of which the new doctrine spoke: but what if it were necessary to get rid of the law?
The tremendous consequences of this idea, of this solution of the riddle, spin before his eyes; at one stroke he becomes the happiest man; the destiny of the Jews--no, of all men--seems to him to be tied to this idea, to this second of its sudden illumination; he has the thought of thoughts, the key of keys, the light of lights; it is around him that all history must revolve henceforth. For he is from now on the teacher of the annihilation of the law...
This is the first Christian, the inventor of Christianity. Until then there were only a few Jewish sectarians.
http://www.pitt.edu/~wbcurry/nietzsche.html From Daybreak s.68

Working on my homework assignment. I appreciate the work. If I don't stay busy these days I will go nuts.
A Jew without Jews, without Judaism, without Zionism, without Jewish ness, without a temple or an army or even a pistol, a Jew clearly without a home, just the object itself, like a glass or an apple.
Philip Roth

e_dog

Post by e_dog » February 7th, 2006, 10:50 am

who's being referred to as the subject of that quote from Daybreak, as the first Christian?

and what is the context of the Roth line?

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » February 7th, 2006, 1:08 pm

I wish I had been on that road to Damascus that day; I would have cut him off at the pass. He is referring to St. Paul.

The Roth quote is off one of those quotation sites, BrainyQuote. I think. I will see if I can find out more about it.

Thinking about Z post
http://www.studioeight.tv/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=6202
Martin Niemoller's famous quotation:

There is a more than pedantic point to insisting that the Niemoeller quotation be truthfully used, if at all. Through the texts corrupted to promote special interests, literally millions of school children and also adults are being taught lies about the Holocaust. The damage is not as serious, perhaps, as the steady infiltration of "Holocaust revision" (i.e., denial). But it does help to create an atmosphere of playing fast and loose with the facts through intellectually dishonest and self-serving manipulation of the text.
http://www.history.ucsb.edu/faculty/marcuse/niem.htm
I wonder if he is any kin to the author of One Dimensional Man.

Man that quotation is popping up all over the place today. I just saw one that said “First they came for the cartoonists...”

I have a healthy respect for scholarship.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » October 4th, 2006, 3:37 am

You asked me:
and what is the context of the Roth line?
And I answered:
The Roth quote is off one of those quotation sites, BrainyQuote. I think. I will see if I can find out more about it.
I found this--- which is maybe where the quote is from. But I don’t have access to this journal. If I ever make a million bucks I am going to spend it on subscriptions.

Derek Parker Royal - Postmodern Jewish Identity in Philip Roth's ...
Not only does Roth explore the place of the American Jew as it relates to his ... "A Jew without Jews, without Judaism, without Zionism, without Jewishness, ...muse.jhu.edu/journals/modern_fiction_studies/v048/48.2royal.html - Similar pages
I been thinking about time a lot lately, the differences between the Greeks and the Jews. Found an interesting article but I don't have access to that journal either. I wish I had a connection to someone who worked in a large university library.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » October 4th, 2006, 3:54 am

DECIDING TO DO THE IMPOSSIBLE

By WILLIAM H. GASS; WILLIAM H. GASS IS THE DAVID MAY PROFESSOR OF HUMANITIES AT WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY IN ST. LOUIS. HIS MOST RECENT BOOK IS ''HABITATIONS OF THE WORD.''
Published: January 4, 1987

Paste:

Each often painful encounter with these examples of Jewish love and Jewish hate has cleansed Nathan Zuckerman, who has sought the solution to his nature through book after book, of one more trapping of his type, until he finally sees himself as ''a Jew without Jews, without Judaism, without Zionism, without Jewishness, without a temple or an army or even a pistol, a Jew clearly without a home, just the object itself, like a glass or an apple.'' Except for the phallic scar, the venereal voodoo he desires to have performed upon his son - a futile mark of difference, it would seem to me, since circumcision is now more fashionable among the gentiles than pierced ears. A LITTLE past its middle, in a brilliant postmodern maneuver, the book becomes posthumous, and begins reading itself both front and rear, before and after, like a swing.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.h ... gewanted=4

Return to “The Anti-Academy”