The Philosophy of Art & Aesthetics.

Moderator: e_dog

e_dog

Sign of the Apocalypse

Post by e_dog » March 26th, 2006, 4:42 pm

Ina-Gadda-Da-Vida, Iron Butterfly
used as theme song in a

Fidelity Mutual Fund commercial.

The Hippies have become Reppies (Retired Professionals).

The Age of Aquarius enters
the Age of Sextogenerians.
I don't think 'Therefore, I am.' Therefore, I am.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » March 27th, 2006, 9:24 am

Apocalypse

Listening to a PBS special about Peter and Paul as I drifted off to sleep the other night, I heard the narrator say that Apocalypse did not mean the end of the world. It only meant the end of evil. Do you think there is a difference? Could the world continue with out evil?

Wacko why has the USA been subject to Great Awakenings long after Europe has moved on.

Encyclopedia
apocalypse (əpŏk'əlĭps) [Gr.,=uncovering], genre represented in early Jewish and in Christian literature in which the secrets of the heavenly world or of the world to come are revealed by angelic mediation within a narrative framework. The genre seems to have arisen in Palestine in the 3d cent. B.C., perhaps as a protest against an oppressive and dominant establishment, either Gentile or apostate Jewish. The writing is characterized by otherworldly journeys, visions, animal imagery derived from the common fund of ancient Middle Eastern mythological imagery, and number symbolism. Apocalyptic eschatology is marked by the conviction that God will intervene decisively in the present evil age and vindicate his suffering elect over their oppressors, raising the dead, consigning the wicked to eternal destruction, and establishing a new creation. In the Bible, apocalyptic elements are present in the books of Ezekiel, Isaiah, Joel, Zechariah, and Daniel. The collection known as the Pseudepigrapha contains a number of early Jewish apocalypses, including 1 Enoch, 4 Ezra, and 2 Baruch. In the New Testament the book of Revelation is often called the Apocalypse.
I got a ladder ready upside my house. I plan to be up on the roof with a fiddle waiting for the flying saucers when they come for the true believers.
God is not mocked except by believers

Traveller13

Post by Traveller13 » March 27th, 2006, 12:50 pm

Have you guys heard of the shift in the Earth's magnetic field?
According to astrologists there will be a period when the North magnetic pole will become South, and the South become North, due to an inversion of the currents in the Earth's core.
Besides all the fun minor implications (all compasses starting to point South, sink-water spiralling down the drain in an anti-clockwise motion instead of a clockwise motion [if you live in the North hemisphere][or is it the other way around?]), there will be an extremely short period (on an astronomical scale, that is a few months) where the Earth will have no magnetic field. If such a thing happens, the only protection we'll have against incoming meteorites will be solar winds.
Of course, it's a rare event on a human scale, as the last one we know about happened 780000 years ago.

As to when that period will be, "we" aren't sure, but "we" think it'll happen during this century. The exact date is hard to determin because this requires very precise measurements.

Which is why some people turned to the Mayan calendar, which is a lot more precise than ours.
Basing themselves on the fact that the ending of a cycle corresponds to a major astronomical event, they discovered that December the 21st of 2012 was an end of a type of cycle in the Mayan calander (I say a type of cycle because there are LOADS of types of cycles in the Mayan calendar), and making a correlation between this and that decided it would either be the beginning of a new world, or the end of this one, or peace on earth, etc. In other words, the Apocalypse. As for if I believe what'll happen, I don't know. If we don't have any comet protection for 3 months, it'll get rid of a lot of things, unless overpolluting the planet catches up with us first.

:evil:
[i]~"Open your eyes, and open your eyes again"[/i]

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » March 27th, 2006, 10:50 pm

I am not worried. I still got years worth of groceries and drinking water and toilet paper in my bomb shelter. It is left over from my Y2K preparations.

Wireman was writing about the pole shift last year but I can't find the post.
Every time I read something like this I hear Doris Day singing Que sera, sera.
But I believe it could happen, it probably has. .

I tell ya traveler, at this point that may be the best exit strategy we have for getting out of Iraq. We will leave the problem to who ever is president in 2012. .

e-dog since I am already so far off topic I might as well go a little farther.

I was googling around for a bit about the the first trillionth of a trillionth of a second after the Universe started and I found this bit which has nothing to do with what you were talking about but I like it.
Magic Statistics
"I accept no responsibility for statistics, which are a form of magic beyond my comprehension." -- Robertson Davies
I believe the only reality in this best of all possible worlds is a statistical one.. I do believe in chance. I do believe that what we call supernatural is a failure of the imagination and our senses. I do believe no matter how large a cyclotron we build, no matter how powerful a laser we create, no matter how elegant we get with our science, there will always be the mystery. I think intelligent design is for wimps.

e_dog

Post by e_dog » March 29th, 2006, 3:51 am

who was it said that
intelligent design is correct provided it is understood that human history proves that the designer is evil, not benevolent

?

could that 've been some studioeighter or other?
I don't think 'Therefore, I am.' Therefore, I am.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » March 29th, 2006, 7:46 am

I betcha it was it was you or perezoso?

“Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it.”

http://rosewaterfoundation.org/viewQuote.aspx

gypsyjoker

Post by gypsyjoker » April 2nd, 2006, 5:25 pm

The Age of Aquarius enters
the Age of Sextogenerians.
I just had a flash, kind of a brainstorm like a ball of electric blue light a gazillion neurons firing at the same time,

I thought you were so much older.

I am doing all I can to maintain. I hear a lot of talk about clarity lately. It kind of reminds me of a Scientologist I used to know. He was having a hard time getting clear.

So is it apocolypical enough if the money is no good. Somebody said something about a gold standard and universal currency, I think every body ought to have a credit card my self. Better than gold, lighter easeir to hide in your underwear. dont leave home without it.

nice string e-dog
Free Rice
Avatar Courtesy of the Baron de Hirsch Fund

'Blessed is he who was not born, Or he, who having been born, has died. But as for us who live, woe unto us, Because we see the afflictions of Zion, And what has befallen Jerusalem." Pseudepigrapha

Return to “The Anti-Academy”