Euphemism in Real Time

The Philosophy of Art & Aesthetics.

Moderator: e_dog

e_dog

Euphemism in Real Time

Post by e_dog » April 25th, 2006, 5:20 pm

have any of you noticed the disturbing tendency of the titles of the headlines on mainstream websites containing news sections to switch from one viewing to the next? same story, softer title.

for example, an hour or so ago, we were told, on a website (let's call it "Shotmail") that 'Bush eases environmental rules on gasoline'. Now, the headline is 'Bush seeks to relieve oil pressure.'

altho it sure is erie and disturbing to see, perhaps its good to see the censorship process at work. but how exactly does it work?
I don't think 'Therefore, I am.' Therefore, I am.

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » April 26th, 2006, 9:52 pm

not idea about the "evolution" of headlines in websites in your country. You noticed same story, softer title: the title's power as censorship instrument?. Yeah, titles are supposed to anticipate the contenido of an article. But are you sure the stories are always the same and only the titles change?.

pagina12's titles made me laugh or think in the early nineties. Now it seems the newspaper is with the government. Today's front title is easy and a bit stupid, but there are others that seems to say everything and really say nothing:

http://www.pagina12.com.ar/diario/principal/index.html

Politic humor in titles sounds semi/dead and old here ( at least now) but they keep insisting.

e_dog

Post by e_dog » April 29th, 2006, 4:09 pm

never read the stories.

the headlines are all that matter.

Return to “The Anti-Academy”