The "Improvers" of Mankind

The Philosophy of Art & Aesthetics.

Moderator: e_dog

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » July 30th, 2006, 11:21 am

My demand upon the philosopher is known, that he take his stand beyond good and evil and leave the illusion of moral judgment beneath himself. This demand follows from an insight which I was the first to formulate: that there are altogether no moral facts. Moral judgments agree with religious ones in believing in realities which are no realities. Morality is merely an interpretation of certain phenomena - more precisely, a misinterpretation. Moral judgments, like religious ones, belong to a stage of ignorance at which the very concept of the real and the distinction between what is real and imaginary, are still lacking; thus "truth," at this stage, designates all sorts of things which we today call "imaginings." Moral judgments are therefore never to be taken literally so understood, they always contain mere absurdity. Semiotically, however, they remain invaluable: they reveal, at least for those who know, the most valuable realities of cultures and inwardnesses which did not know enough to "understand" themselves. Morality is mere sign language, mere symptomatology: one must know what it is all about to be able to profit from it.
http://history.hanover.edu/courses/exce ... 1niet.html

Artguy

Post by Artguy » July 30th, 2006, 7:59 pm

ST...I have to refer you to this manifesto objecting to the oppression of Church against the people of the state. It was known as Le Refus Global...and was written by a Quebec artist as a manifesto for an artist movement of the 40's here in Canada known as the Automatistes.......
In it they object to the moral power of the church over state...and decry that creative liberation will break the religous chains imposed by the church over the people of Quebec....what ensued was known here as the quiet revoultion ....that is to say the churches became very quiet (empty)....and a new social vision was activated...
This is a link to (a translated version) of Le Refus Global

http://www.mta.ca/faculty/arts/canadian ... lobal.html

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » July 30th, 2006, 8:38 pm

I been reading it Kurt from the link on the Pablo visual thread.

This part here reminded me of the Jews for some reason.
A little people, grown from a Jansenist colony, isolated and cowed; and defenceless against the horde of clerics of France and Navarre -- out to perpetuate in this fear-ridden place (fear-as-the-beginning-of-wisdom!) the prestige and advantages of a Catholicism despised in Europe. Heirs of a mechanical papacy, invulnerable to redress, great masters of obscurantism, their institutes of learning still hold sway through an exploiting use of memory, static reason, and paralysing intention.
Also have been following up on
prajna paramita
If you open your mouth you are already wrong, if you give rise to a single thought you are in error.
A red bird, a green snake, and a black pig.
I see where I am not. I see where I am. But no idea who is doing the seeing. No language to describe it. I am still an ignorant child. So many websites devoted to Nietzsche and Buddhism. He is like an old testament prophet to me. I stayed semi-sane for years with Christ in one ear and Nietzsche in the other. NOthing to attain, but I feel more like a Buddha these days.

I am surrounded by angry and suffering family members. It is my calling to do what I can for them.

Artguy

Post by Artguy » July 30th, 2006, 9:18 pm

Then you are Boddhisattva..................

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » July 30th, 2006, 9:47 pm

I was going to delete that ramble. Thanks for the reply. I hope so kurt, if she can sense the change in me it will help her and her husband. They are so out of control, she loves to get angry. Such a poweful feeling to be angry.

e_dog

Post by e_dog » July 31st, 2006, 10:16 am

I see where I am not. I see where I am. But no idea who is doing the seeing. No language to describe it. I am still an ignorant child. So many websites devoted to Nietzsche and Buddhism. He is like an old testament prophet to me. I stayed semi-sane for years with Christ in one ear and Nietzsche in the other. NOthing to attain, but I feel more like a Buddha these days. -- stilltruckin'

that's beautiful comment there. Christ and Antichrist, the truth somewhere in between (Buddha's middle way?).

N. always said he admired the Old T. in comparison w/ the New T.

that first quote on morality is incredibly dense in insight and problems. is not the neocons. strategic vision of geopolitical dominance n control, disruption, warfair, etc. not a position that takes itself (to be) 'beyond good n evil."

what if the joining of morality to religion were an unnecessary mistake? what if (Nietzsche) the Madman has misperceived the role of religious thought, or its potential, and (Niet., again) the Antichrist an even worse misinterpretation?

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » July 31st, 2006, 3:39 pm

I got a real problem with N.
Summer of 1972
Ergot sandwiches and The Birth of Tragedy and The Genealogy of Morals
Words turning into thick black worms, text morphing to Hebrew alphabet
Slowly crawling off the page and falling to the floor. But I read on.

I am no Nietzsche scholar
Walter Kaufmann is my main man on N
I have The Faith Of A/n Heretic.
But those two books etched on my brain
Nietzsche got the Jews right I think
A priestly people full of resentment.
I think he was speaking of Paul

I never understood Nietzsche's comments on Socrates.

I like the full title
The Birth Of Tragedy From The Spirit of Music

e_dog

Post by e_dog » July 31st, 2006, 10:21 pm

No going beyond good n evil.

BUSH=EVIL

that equation is the truth and if Nietzsche makes such statements impoossible, then fuck Nietzsche.

Cf. Rage Against da Machine: Evil Empire.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » August 1st, 2006, 3:53 am

Bush = human
a disease called man
cf. Life Against Death N. O Brown.

Return to “The Anti-Academy”