Hundred Dollar Hairdo

Publish it here.
Sober Duck

Hundred Dollar Hairdo

Post by Sober Duck » December 18th, 2005, 11:27 am

Hundred Dollar Hairdo

By: Richard Moylan Jr.

I saw a hundred-dollar hair do in the food stamp line. I saw more gold jewelry than Fort Knox can hold. I saw a finger nail show that was beyond belief. Six inch painted nails with hearts, moons and murals. I saw beepers, pagers, and cell phones of all kinds. Why does someone need to carry three pagers? I saw people being dropped off in BMWs and Jaguars, some in taxis and the taxis wait. Am I missing something here?
I hate to admit that I qualify for food stamps and need help but I have worked hard all of my life and have paid my dues. I feel like I may deserve the help I receive. I have a family of five and we scrape the bottom of the barrel daily. Life is not easy.
After standing in the food stamp line sometimes for hours I should feel grateful for what I receive, don’t get me wrong, I am grateful but because I do have a job although I get very little. The time it takes to get food stamps is almost not worth it, but hey, every little bit helps.
While standing in the food stamp line there is always a show. It’s like a soap opera. As a matter of fact that alone keeps me coming back; not the food stamps. I can’t wait to see who’s doing what with whom and how they’re doing it. I can’t wait to hear why someone should not be in the line and how inconvenient it is for them to have to be there.
Sometimes I wonder what would happen if a couple of social workers went under cover and spent a little time in the food stamp line observing what goes on. I think if they did, things might change.
A lot of people would not be able to survive with out food stamps. The food stamp program helps a lot of people in need. I feel if someone can afford some of life’s frills they have no business being in the food stamp line. By the way I cut my own hair.
I would like to point out that my observations are in the larger metropolitan areas
and not necessarily how it is everywhere.

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » January 13th, 2006, 2:20 pm

I had food stamps in 1980 living in the woods outside of Santa Cruz. I had a private mailbox rented cheap at an icecream shop in a small arcade off Pacific Avenue and had this as my residence. My appearance should have been convincing enough that I was in need. Fifty dollars a month and cheap rent, under five bucks a month.

this lasted for about three months. i'd buy an apple at one store,cigarrette rolling tobacco, even panhandled one afternoon then to another store and do the same, save the change then buy
rolling tobacco and a bit of liquor
and cheap coffee in the big can

got most of our food from the dumpster in back of the large stupidmarket, dented cans and sometimes produce, would wash it off in the river and viola a good evening around the campfire enjoying cowboy coffee in a #10 can and rolling cigarrettes.

that was too much
dude, i like your style

later i got a job as a taxi driver there and gave a free cab ride to old tom scribner, the town's claim to fame

[color=darkcyan]i'm on a survival mission
yo ho ho an a bottle of rum om[/color]

Return to “Rejection Slip?”