geoff trenchard

On with the show, this is it!
Glorious Amok

geoff trenchard

Post by Glorious Amok » July 5th, 2005, 11:59 am

http://www.daniland.com/talent/geoff_tr ... _stare.mp3

http://www.daniland.com/talent/geoff_tr ... _Pulse.mp3

i met this guy once, saw him perform a few times on a quick jaunt thru vancouver, picked up his chapbook and i think it remains my favourite today. turn up the volume, listen to this twice.

"... and i still say that truth is a violent act..."
"YOUR way is your only way." - jack kerouac

YABYUM

Post by YABYUM » July 19th, 2005, 11:43 pm

kari,
this fuckin rocks.
http://frombeerstobabies.blogspot.com/

Michael

Post by Michael » July 23rd, 2005, 4:19 pm

kari, excellent readings.

In “100 Line Stare”, Trenchard talks about night shift workers, which I was for 18 years. I appreciate the satire of “gravitating to other base elements” and ending up at Denny’s.

He reminds me of the Nicholson line in “A Few Good Men”, “You can’t handle the truth” when he states that “Truth is a violent act.” The metaphor is so true. It’s being proven over and over again in the good old USofA. The way Americans are repulsed by truth certainly does give it a violent sort of aura.

His rhyme scheme is great, using what I think are internal rhymes throughout (I haven’t seen the written piece so I really don’t know).

His reading is dramatic with crescendo qualities to the lines that tail off at the end as if they were afterthoughts.

In “Two Pulse, he’s much more monophonic, yet definitely angry. A different presentation altogether which shows a great reading talent.

I love alliteration and “Two Pulse” is an alliteration fest. Nicely done there.

The word play is clever and piercing.

“Almost look like asphalt laid on a bright winter day” is followed by a line which includes “ass holes like me” – but as often a I listened to it, I couldn’t pick up the first part of that line.

Another instance of sharp – truthful – word play is to attribute the cold to “boulevards breathing around bronchial tubes.”

kari, thanks for turning me on to these pieces. Very intense and I’ll look around for more of Trenchard’s stuff, especially his readings.

Glorious Amok

Post by Glorious Amok » July 26th, 2005, 9:22 pm

i have more of his written work here, but i don't know if i should reproduce it, type it out, even if i gave him full credit for the work.

although, i'm really, really tempted to share it because it's just such fucking good work.
"YOUR way is your only way." - jack kerouac

Michael

Post by Michael » July 26th, 2005, 10:31 pm

I hear that!

Return to “Performance Arts”