Peace Is Possible

On with the show, this is it!
Michael

Peace Is Possible

Post by Michael » July 16th, 2006, 3:20 am

I hardly post or read here or at any board for that matter. Priorities change.

However, I belong to a local group called The Mound Diablo Peace Center. One of the leaders of MtDPC includes the phrase “Peace Is Possible” in her signature, much the way I include “To friendship” in mine.

In the late sixties and early seventies, there were a good number of mantras that existed for the peace movement of the time. I decided that “Peace Is Possible” might be a good candidate for today’s anti-militarism movements.

My intention was to have a bunch of people singing the song without organizing it. I wanted it to sound a bit like “Give Peace A Chance”. But, alas, “Give Peace A Chance” is “Give Peace A Chance”. The adlib flavor might have helped to sell it, but it wasn’t the only quality. I realize that ripping that song off is very difficult and should not be attempted.

That doesn’t/didn’t preclude writing a song entitled “Peace Is Possible” and hoping that it may become today’s mantra. It’s a long shot, I understand that.

I think it’s important that this song is/was written. Here are a few reasons why I believe it’s imperative that I get it right.

• 1. It is, indeed, a mantra that should be embraced. The answer to today’s militarism should be “it’s not necessary”.

2. It’s a mantra that can be embraced by true conservatives. I’m not talking about The Regime that is at the head of this government at the present time. The Regime does not exhibit progressive nor conservative ideas and ideals. It is nothing more or less than our very own politburo.

The difference between good, patriotic conservatives and progressives can be found on the domestic front. It deals with taxation and the utilization of taxes. Witness Congressman Ron Paul (R-TX).

The Libertarian Party should be the party of good, patriotic conservatives.

However, the conservative masses identify with The Regime because they’ve been fooled into believing that The Regime is the normal run of the mill conservative “administration”. It’s not!

Consequently, they’ve fallen into using phrases, and we’ve all heard them, such as, “The only thing that those Muslims understand is violence. We need to show them that violence will only beget violence.”

This mantra says that’s a false statement and one that’s nothing more than a self-fulfilling prophecy.

3. I’ve taken the signature and explained “when” peace will be possible or, to put it another way, what are some of the things that can help make peace possible.

4. I’m 56 years old and I’ve been writing songs for 41 years. I believe some are very good. I also believe some could be considered “dogs”. However, the song that I write explaining that peace is possible and when it will be possible has to be a song that falls into the “very good” category. We don’t have as much support on the campuses as we had during Vietnam. My cynical mind tells me that the lack of conscription plays a big part in that fact. It’s a no win situation.

As Neil Young said, and I paraphrase, we need music, poetry and, of course, commentary to put a fire under today's nonviolent, antiwar movement.

5. We also need unity. The Democratic Party doesn’t offer us unity. A mantra could possibly create an umbrella under which all people who want the violence in Iraq and Afghanistan to stop and who want to see projects that revolve around the perpetuation of violence cease can gather.

6. I didn’t wait to gather people to help with “Peace Is Possible”. It’s all me, from top to bottom and side to side. What I’ve done is to add harmony to differentiate the different mes. In fact, along with the three part harmony throughout the entire song, there is three part, in the round harmony at the end, making it six part harmony. Nothing ad libbed there.
As I mentioned above, I’m not a regular visitor anymore, but I wanted to share this with those who care to read it/listen to it. I really hope that you like “Peace Is Possible” .

However, it’s got to be done right and heard by as many people as possible. After all, it is a reminder of reality.

<center>Audio</center>

Peace is possible!
Peace is possible!
Peace is possible!
Peace is possible!

Peace is possible!
Peace is possible!
Peace is possible!
Peace is possible!

When leadership is transparent.
When leadership tells the truth.
When leadership says what it means
and we all know what’s going on.

Peace is possible!
Peace is possible!
Peace is possible!
Peace is possible!

When nations help each other,
give what they can, accept what they need.
When the world belongs to the world.
When we accept instead of take.

Peace is possible!
Peace is possible!
Peace is possible!
Peace is possible!

When all cultures are accepted
for what they want to be.
When we shake a hand and not a fist.
When we all talk on the same level.

Peace is possible!
Peace is possible!
Peace is possible!
Peace is possible!

When we bury the hatchet.
When we bury the rifle!
When we lose the planes and bombs
and nuclear warfare is forever banned!

Peace is possible!
Peace is possible!
Peace is possible!
Peace is possible!

Spoken between “two people” at the end (no, I’m not schizophrenic):

#1 “You got peace? Where is it?”

#2 “Right here. Look inside.”

#1 “What are you gonna do? What are you gonna do with your peace? What are you gonna do with peace?”

#2 “What do you mean what am I gonna do with peace? I’m gonna celebrate peace, that’s what we’re gonna do with peace. It’s the only thing to do. We’re gonna celebrate life, a peaceful life for everybody.”

Peace is possible!
Peace is possible!
Peace is possible!
Peace is possible!

To friendship,
Michael

“Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives” – John Lennon

The Mind Of Michael
Speak Your Mind And Read Mine
“Flameland”

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » August 23rd, 2006, 9:55 am

diggin on it
wanna send it out all around
very well done!
[color=darkcyan]i'm on a survival mission
yo ho ho an a bottle of rum om[/color]

firsty

Post by firsty » August 23rd, 2006, 10:53 am

you should check out barry's song at peacehat.net.
and knowing i'm so eager to fight cant make letting me in any easier.

[url=http://stealthiswiki.nine9pages.com]Steal This Book Vol 2[/url]

[url=http://www.dreamhost.com/r.cgi?26032]Get some hosting![/url]

Michael

Post by Michael » August 23rd, 2006, 1:04 pm

Jim, firsty, I'm sending this from one of those hotel room TV connections, so it's taken an hour to type this much - a slight embellishment.

jim, please do spread it around. That's what our messages are for, right? All I ask that you give credit by including copyright 2006 by Michael Bonanno. But, please by all means, spread it around!

firsty, thanks for listening. I think I'll wait until I can sit at a real computer before I try listening to Barry's song.

Thanks, again, for listening, Jim and firsty.

To friendship,
Michael

Return to “Performance Arts”