Civilization Has Killed Civility

Commentary by Michael Bonanno.

Moderator: Michael

Michael

Civilization Has Killed Civility

Post by Michael » September 18th, 2005, 7:58 pm

The U. S. is ill.

Never before in its history has America been so polarized with the possible exception of the Civil War era.

“One nation under…indivisible”.

That statement, or partial statement, depending upon how one looks at it, is one example of the American divide.

The divide has never been clearer and more shamelessly partisan than it is in Americans’ reaction to the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

This nation, for the most part, consists of two ideological groups, each believing that those in positions of responsibility whom they support can unconditionally do no wrong while those in positions of responsibility supported by the other group can unconditionally do no right.

I’m a progressive. I’m not an apologist for any political party or social movement. As such, I read and listen to what as many people as possible have to write and say.

While I’ve read and/or heard enough evidence to convince me that state and local officials are responsible for the bungled response to Katrina, I’ve also read and/or heard enough evidence to convince me that the federal government bears most if not all of the responsibility.

I’ve read enough evidence gained from impartial investigations to help me to make up my mind who was responsible for 9/11/01 and whether or not the invasion of Iraq was necessary. I believe that those who differ with me have either not read the evidence that I’ve read or won’t read such evidence because of ideology.

There have not been any non partisan investigations into the response to Katrina’s aftermath. Consequently, people who are making definitive statements of blame are doing so based upon media that is skewed one way or another.

When hundreds or thousands of American lives have been lost, it is precisely the time to “point fingers”.

If one’s house is burning and arson is suspected, while firefighters and volunteers work to save lives and property, would it not be the time for others to search for and capture the arsonists? Would it not be the time to “point fingers” or would the owner of the home be satisfied with the explanation that “there will be plenty of time to play ‘the blame game’ later”?

When crimes are committed on a national level, there undoubtedly should be those who help the victims. However, independent parties should simultaneously begin investigating before evidence is lost.

We all should be ashamed of how we treat one another, not as members of any religious sect or as non believing humanists, not as Republicans or Democrats, not even as Americans. We should be ashamed of how we treat one another as human beings.

It’s obvious to me that civilization is responsible for the death of civility.

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » September 19th, 2005, 5:05 pm

Well, Michael, not much here I would disagree with... matter of fact there's nothing here I would disagree with. You pretty well nailed it, IMHO.

I've given thought to the idea that the POTUS should be one without a political affiliation, i.e. Rep/Dem... that should be reserved for the House and Senate. Ideally the POTUS would take the best of both parties thereby uniting the country's polarity. But alas, it is only an ideal. Our country's political system is a win or lose situation regardless of which party is in control. That division is stronger than I have ever been witness to... as you understand.

Another approach would be to elect wisdom over business savvy, but I don't see enough of that to go around D.C., and that's basically our country's problem right now - money over morality.

Michael

Post by Michael » September 19th, 2005, 10:06 pm

mtmynd, it doesn’t appear to me that you really have an mtmynd. Your suggestions are worthy, indeed.

I’ve been trying to start a fire behind a possible Barbara Boxer presidential candidacy. She, like Kucinich, dares to play “out of bounds”. Granted, when the Democrats select a candidate for president, she falls back on party loyalty, just as Kucinich did.

The painful truth is that Kerry represented so much of what Kucinich abhorred. Yet, when push came to shove, the man who would have pulled the rug from under the Department of Defense and turned off the war machine was backing John “I can kill in a more organized fashion than you can” Kerry.

Sadly, if one takes a look at who Democrats, as of today, at least, favor as their presidential candidate for 2008, it’s obvious that those polled don’t understand that Clinton will merely perpetuate the indifferent, disingenuous, unresponsive government style of both wings of The Corporacracy. The polls show that it’s already a non contest.

Her husband, maybe the best Republican president to serve in my life time, is already campaigning for her.

I’m going to look on line to see if there’s already a Boxer for president site and, if there is, I’m going to join that movement. If there isn’t, I’m going to do whatever I can through this column, my blog, my web site, letters to the editor, email groups or any other venue to start a serious effort to pressure Senator Boxer into throwing her hat into the 2008 ring.

It’s unfortunate that this is the way politics is played in the US. We shouldn’t even be allowed to poll people about the 2008 elections. Certainly, politicians who are supposed to have primary responsibilities to the job they presently hold shouldn’t be campaigning, directly or indirectly, for the 2008 elections. In fact they shouldn’t be campaigning for the 2006 elections.

This kind of campaign methodology just serves to intensify the divide. One can bring up a mistake made by The Regime and, in response, one will get “Oh, yeah, well Clinton couldn’t have done any better.”

Then they’ll go on to speak about how Clinton lied to the nation.

It’s amazing that people are so presumptuous as to think that a person criticizing Bush wants to add the Clinton legacy to the debate. That offense is what is used as a defense all too often.

The real problem isn’t who’s going to run in 2006 or 2008. The real problem is the obsessive political process in the US. It doesn’t begin and it doesn’t end.

I’ve written about it before and I’ll do it again. We don’t need professional politicians to lead us. Professional politicians are either always running for office or trying to create a nifty legacy.

We need honest people who, for a brief time, must, by necessity, engage in politics in order to reach positions of leadership. We need to change the way we choose our leaders! We need to move away from our obsession of who’s ahead in the game and who’s behind at every given moment of every single day of every single month of every single year.

Each of the two groups is all too ready to blame the other when something goes wrong. I mean immediately!

Don’t get me wrong. I think members of The Regime should not only be impeached, but should be jailed for they’ve done so far. However, unlike, say, Randi Rhodes of Air America, I don’t believe that Democrats=Good and Republicans=Bad.

Of course, it works the other way as well. It’s beyond my comprehension that people still support “Bush” (READ: The Regime) in his insistence upon perpetuating the blood bath in Iraq.

I’ll be posting another column very soon that deals with that crime.

It’s political ideology. Red state/blue state. Conservative/liberal. Good/evil.

It’s time for those human beings who inhabit what is called The United States of America to take one issue at a time, look at it logically and make a decision about it no matter what politician or political party supports or opposes it.

Thinking is definitely a spectator sport in the US.

To friendship,
Michael

It's obvious to me that civilization is responsible for the death of civility.

The Mind Of Michael

Speak Your Mind And Read Mine

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » September 19th, 2005, 10:36 pm

Thx, Michael. So many like us that are frustrated and confused as to how in the world anyone in their right mind could support Bush & Co.. It is another puzzle in the vast puzzle that simply has no answer as far as I can see. O, I can offer suggestions and alternatives, but in reality I am a nobody without any creditials to support anything I have to offer... and I think many are in that same predicament - words, words but little to validate them. At least that is how the voter sees it.

It has also occured to me that Dubya is doing everything in his power to prove that he is not the failure that he has proven to be in his short history. This I see as a dangerous combination: one failure prone human now running the country... more than likely to prove to his 'papa' and 'mama' that he really is a worthwhile human being. The polls prove differently, but thru his Rove he persists in maintaining a semblance of compassion and understanding... a duality which is far removed from someone that is born in a 'golden family', regardless of their questionable history. What has happened since his lies of Iraq, the Katrina Katastrophe, the way he responded... all point to a terribly out-of-touch President, and certainly something he never wanted to happen. Just the thought of Katrina would have made him return to drink... and there may be reason to believe that he has!

I feel (or perhaps hope to feel) that the reign of Neo-Conservatism has reached its limits with the people. The next hurdle the people have to face up to is how to provide for these thousands of 'evacuees'. Let's face it - the evacuee problem is just beginning. Giving them relief and homes thruout the country will wain... there will be a gigantic domino effect from Katrina's aftermath that most in government don't want to even think about it. The economy is going to hell and there will be a vocal group that will cry for a change in the way our government doles out the money. There will have to be a radical shift in economic equality or the country will continue to spiral downwards. Given the rant of the Neo-Cons and their litter of followers this will be a difficult problem to surmount, much less accept. I see it as a possible plus for the vast majority of Americans, myself... dispite the obstacles that lie ahead.

Have you had the opportunity to read any speeches or reports on Venezuela's Hugo Chavez? An incredibly strong voice that speaks for the poor of which there are literally billions out there. If you have a notion 'google' the man. No wonder this country's idiot of religious pretension called for the man to be assasinated! Pat Robertson is one horrible individual, as you are aware, I'm sure.

Good Luck on getting support for just one decent human being that takes seriously our country, our Constitution and Bill of Rights. Thomas Jefferson & Company would revolt against this present day government in a heartbeat... that I am sure.

Peace,

Cecil

mnaz

Post by mnaz » September 20th, 2005, 12:56 pm

The Neo-conservative movement seems to have lost its steam in the perpetual quagmire of Iraq. For now. But don't forget that this movement runs largely on smoke and mirrors.... "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain"....

The entire enterprise is a doctrine of overt, unilateral aggression, often counter-intuitive, enabled and fueled by unquestioning allegiance to patriotic symbols, and the extreme measures that we are told will "protect" those symbols in the name of our "national interests"-- these "interests" dictated by the timely corporate concerns of the moment.

It is unquestioning allegiance which enables the whole sordid process. Wrap the next corporate erection in the flag and "freedom", and many of us will probably fall for it again. Grease the skids with skillful, manipulative rhetoric of fear, and/or good and evil, and its almost a done deal.

I typically do not get much involved in politics. That whole fake soap opera disgusts me. Our highest leaders are generally mega-wealthy, and they have essentially have been purchased by mega-wealthy campaign contributors. And they spend just as much time attacking the other "side" as they do actually "governing". The bought-and-paid-for/professional politicians come very close to rendering our "democracy" as laughable.

[rant over]

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » September 22nd, 2005, 4:56 pm

Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.
Douglas Adams

Return to “Open Mike Soundoff”