Quotes on Art - thread

Quotes Amok.

Moderator: Glorious Amok

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Quotes on Art - thread

Post by Doreen Peri » February 2nd, 2005, 12:11 am

"Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced."- Leo Tolstoy

"Last year I went fishing with Salvador Dali. He was using a dotted line. He caught every other fish."- Steven Wright

"A fool's brain digests philosophy into folly, science into superstition, and art into pedantry."- George Bernard Shaw

"Art is a form of catharsis"- Dorothy Parker

"Art is either plagiarism or revolution." - Paul Guaguin

"Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one." -Stella Adler

Glorious Amok

Post by Glorious Amok » February 2nd, 2005, 8:29 am

nice, i like the last one a lot. that's the one that speaks to me the most today.

thanks, d!
"YOUR way is your only way." - jack kerouac

Dave The Dov

Post by Dave The Dov » February 2nd, 2005, 2:46 pm

The difference between life and art is art is more bearable - Charles Bukowski
Last edited by Dave The Dov on March 8th, 2009, 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Glorious Amok

Post by Glorious Amok » February 2nd, 2005, 6:40 pm

nice, that's a good one too. art has been more bearable than life for me, many days of late.

thanks dave.

Kreddible Trout

Post by Kreddible Trout » February 2nd, 2005, 10:16 pm

Why Brecht is the most important playwright since Shakespeare:

"Art is not a mirror held up to reality, but a hammer with which to shape it." -Bertolt Brecht, 1898 - 1956
'...and I never buy unbrellas 'cause there's always one around.'
-Tom Waits

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » February 2nd, 2005, 11:36 pm

I love this forum already. ;)

And I love Bertold Brecht .... i was in Three Penny Opera once... great memories from that show... I was in the chorus. No major role, but I danced and sang and played an old hag of a beggerlady.

Here are some more...

"Classic art was the art of necessity: Modern romantic art bears the stamp of caprice and chance." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"We must never forget that art is not a form of propaganda, it is a form of truth." -John Fitzgerald Kennedy

"In art the hand can never execute anything higher than the heart can inspire."- Ralph Waldo Emerson

And this one, I really love! Substitute "nature" for "god" if you want..... it's just so true!

"Art is a collaboration between God and the artist, and the less the artist does the better." - André Gide

bennie

Post by bennie » February 27th, 2005, 10:35 am

Most people ignore most poetry because most poetry ignores most people.
Adrian Mitchell

I've never heard of this poet but what do you make of his comment? I think it's a fair thing to say. But then, it isn't really a poet's job to document most people. or is it?

I document myself through poetry. And, I suppose, by extension, I document the time I live in. But, it's how I see it. So, my poetry is all me me me.

But maybe he means it in the abstract. Maybe he means that the language most poets use is beyond the grasp or interest of most people. I don't think poetry should be a mainstream interest anyway.

Yes, so, I just liked this quote.
well I write music review so I do:
http://www.elevationstation.net

Glorious Amok

Post by Glorious Amok » February 27th, 2005, 12:49 pm

in a blistering, quivering drunk the other night, i found these in a book tossed to the floor of a friend, and scribbled them on the backs of business cards....

"Qualities like quiveriness and vulnerability come to mind. When I think of creativity... creativity requires a sense of smell, a palate to taste the scents that make brilliance. All life feeds upon the random. Creativity is the haute cuisine."

-- Douglas Hopstadter

i like it all up until the last sentence, but i think he's just trying to say that having creative instincts is like having the ability to sort the tastiest out of the bland. quiveriness, though, is the definite height of the phrase.

"Beware of artists, they mix with all classes of society and are therefore most dangerous."

-- Queen Victoria

and i think that one's just interesting because of who said it.

Return to “Inspiration Station”