Thomas Jefferson said:

Quotes Amok.

Moderator: Glorious Amok

one of those jerks

Re: Thomas Jefferson said:

Post by one of those jerks » July 4th, 2012, 1:03 pm

I got tired of imagining Jefferson was writing of the future American Empire.
He was writing about slavery. A timely topic since we are being enslaved by the corporate state.

Here is the quote in context.
Part [3]

"[1]The God who gave us life gave us liberty. . . [2]Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction. . . That these liberties are the gift of God? [3] The bible is the cornerstone for American liberty." -Thomas Jefferson

This final phrase is totally imaginary! It does not appear in A Summary View of the Rights of British America, nor in Notes on The State of Virginia. A web search for the quotation shows it only as a part of this invalid quotation. It does not appear anywhere on the University of Virginia site on Jefferson's works. Moreover, the phrase is completely inconsistent with Jefferson's views about the Bible.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now for the second version

And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are of the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that His justice cannot sleep forever. Thomas Jefferson

The above is a valid quotation as shown in the Notes on the State of Virginia extract above. The problem with it is that it is often used to make some sort of point with regards to Jefferson's religious beliefs--usually to claim that Jefferson was a orthodox Christian. Quoters fail to explain that the quotation comes from a section of Notes on The State of Virginia in which Jefferson was discussing slavery in Virginia and has nothing to do with Jefferson's religious beliefs..

Source of Document:

University of Virginia Library Electronic Text Center Notes on The State of Virginia, Thomas Jefferson

She is twice the man I am.

Return to “Inspiration Station”