Quotes Amok.

Moderator: Glorious Amok

Non Sum

Thomas Jefferson said:

Post by Non Sum » December 24th, 2009, 7:23 pm

"I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just."

one of those jerks

Post by one of those jerks » December 24th, 2009, 8:59 pm

I suppose everyone has their head up their ass onetime or another, even T.J. Yes god used to be just but that was back in the 18th century.

Hey don't mind me I am one of those jerks wit da metaphysical homelessness blues . N.S. (no shitz)

Oh yes I believe in G d. Or something like IT. I believe in the tender indifference of Camus' night sky filled with stars.

please pardon the ramble. I guess T.J. was referring to slavery.
She is twice the man I am.

Non Sum

Post by Non Sum » December 25th, 2009, 9:17 pm

one of those jerks wrote:I suppose everyone has their head up their ass onetime or another, even T.J. Yes god used to be just but that was back in the 18th century."
NS: I suspect TJ (a deist at most) was making a rhetorical point about his nation's culpability, rather than saying anything theological.
please pardon the ramble. Hey don't mind me I am one of those jerks wit da metaphysical homelessness blues . N.S. (no shitz)
NS: Nothing to "pardon" or "mind," OOTJ. I'm pleased that you cared to share your thought with TJ and me. I see by your link that, for you, it is God who is to be seen as 'culpable' in the eyes of the blind goddess, Justice. I can't say that I put much belief in either the god or the goddess. To make one the accused, and the other judge, seems like an exercise in children's make-believe. The same sort of victim thinking that invites the atrocities of eager victimizers; making both culpable.
Oh yes I believe in G d. Or something like IT. I believe in the tender indifference of Camus' night sky filled with stars.
NS: How can you be sure that the "tenderness" attributed to the sequined darkness isn't of our own making?
I guess T.J. was referring to slavery.
NS: Likely so, but I much prefer to imagine he caught a glimpse of his nation's future for this quote's inspiration.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » December 26th, 2009, 9:55 am

Cecil wrote
"Woe be unto those who seek the Kingdom of God within the words of others for the Kingdom resides in each and everyone of us and it is incumbent upon us to seek the Kingdom within ourselves."- Astral Hobo

http://www.studioeight.tv/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=17850
I got no words of my own. The 'tender indifference of the universe' is Camus.

How did T.J. come to think god is just. We are made in god's image oh yes, but some of us are four fitths of a god.

I been trying to read the book of Job for years.
Now there was a righteous dude.
Dared to go one on one with God.
I think I know how the story ends
Job gets more cattle and children and a new wife.
His old wife was still dead unfortuneately
I see those orthodox Jews ranting about biblical land
and I understand.
you got to fear god more than anything.
We don't need no stinking vampires
we got god
The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary; men alone are quite capable of every wickedness. Joseph Conrad
Oh well pardon the ramble
and please pardon the pardon
I don't know nothing except what I read in the newspapers. Will Rogers

Non Sum

Post by Non Sum » December 26th, 2009, 10:47 am

StillTrucking: I got no words of my own. The 'tender indifference of the universe' is Camus.

NS: Why quote what you intend to duck, Truck?

ST: How did T.J. come to think god is just.

NS: I seriously doubt TJ thought there was a 'god,' let alone a just one. He was merely employing a literary device in order to underline what he took to be a national injustice, and its inevitable (karmic) 'come around.'

ST: We are made in god's image oh yes, but some of us are four fiths of a god.

NS: How many fifths must one consume in order to complete an apotheosis?

ST: Oh well pardon the ramble
and please pardon the pardon

Louis MacNeice: "The sunlight on the garden
Hardens and grows cold,
We cannot cage the minute
Within its nets of gold,
When all is told
We cannot beg for pardon."

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » December 26th, 2009, 11:44 am

words about words about words about words
if I never learned a word
I could not lie

Pardon me I am a strange loop
some lucky few of us are born without language.
I wonder if they ever get lonely
there is more s to this than your words can say N.S.
more than I can say
I quote Camus because it pleases me
Pardon my vanity
I sat in a room full of black men who rolled their eyes while the boss was singing the praises of our great white fathers who founded this nation.
In 1776 I sat in a passover service in Charleston S.C. while my ancestors sang about being freed from their bondage in Egypt land while the meal was served by our slaves.
We were never much on irony.
I have read that Jesus had a fine sense of irony
maybe there is hope for me yet.
You know more of T.J. than I do
But I like what he did with the New Testament. If I ever get around to reading that book it will be his version.
The Jefferson BibleJefferson's Life and Morals of Jesus: a compilation of the teachings of Jesus extracted textually from the Gospels.
www.angelfire.com/co/JeffersonBible/ - Cached - Similar
"Where can I find a man who forgets about words and have a word with him?"
May I ask?

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » December 26th, 2009, 12:03 pm

Yes in the begining was the word and the word was recursive.

I am a strange loop
I will never finish that book
the math is too far from me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Am_a_Strange_Loop

His sister born without language. Interesting
When I was twelve, a deep shadow fell over our family. My parents as well as my seven year old sister Laura and I , faced the harsh reality that the youngest child in our family, Molly then only three years old, had something terribly wrong with her. No one knew what it was, but Molly wasn't able to understand langure or to speak (nor to this day, and we never did find out why) She moved through the world with ease, even with charm and grace, but she used no words at all. It was so sad.

For years our parents explored every avenue imaginable including the possibility of some kind of brain surgery, and as their quest for a cure or at least some kind of explanation grew ever more desperate, my own anguished thinking about molly's plight and the idea of people opening up my tiny sister's head and peering in at the msterious stuff that filled it (an avenue never explored in the end) gave me the impetus to read a couple of lay-level books about the human brain. Doing so had a huge impact on my life since it forced me to consider for the first time the physical basis of consciousness and being — or of having — an "I" which I found disorienting, dizzying and profundly eerie.

one of those jerks

Post by one of those jerks » December 26th, 2009, 5:39 pm

the sequined darkness
a pretty phrase but not the image I had in mind.
"our eyes register the light of dead stars" The Last of The Just

You ask me why as if I am rational as if I have reasons for what I write. It does not seem logical to you I suppos When I write it is mostly simple and sincere and spontaneous. But still plenty of hissing sarcasm. Sometimes — too many times — I have a sarcastic agenday. ( I just figured out how to type a dash now if I could just figure out when to use them).

Sometimes it hisses
when I let my ticket be punched.

A just god
just wars
that will do it everytime.

And talk of a golden age
of america
and Wilsonian Democracy will do it too

and Biblical land will do it too.
if I let it
If I want it too

pardon the pardons
like a nervous tick
my sister is always apologizing for nothing.
it is a richard farina song I think
"been down so long..."

the jerk is thinking of The Human Use of Human Beings. I have heard old Norbert is hip again.

language communication and jam.

I used to worship at the feet of old glory
Thomas Jefferson a hero of mine
But he is still a man of his times. I don't know what you are seeing or think that he saw in the future. Was he really that prescient?
I think Nietzsche saw the future, maybe that is what broke his mind, not syphilis.

I have decided to be an ethical Eschatologist. It is my latest fad. I gave up on being a phenomenologist too many new words to learn. Same thing with Buddhism, I just pick it up from my zen friends as I go.

Non Sum

Post by Non Sum » December 27th, 2009, 10:07 am

ST: I am a strange loop
Hofstadter: "GEB is a very personal attempt to say how it is that animate beings can come out of inanimate matter. What is a self, and how can a self come out of stuff that is as selfless as a stone or a puddle?"[1

NS: His puzzlement is derived from his poor assumptions. First, there is nothing "inanimate." Second, the Self does not "come out of stuff," but rather, the appearance of stuff comes out of Self. You'd think someone as physics savey as H. would know full well that a "stone, or puddle" is composed of energy and particles that never hold still.

ST: When I write it is mostly simple and sincere and spontaneous.

NS: "Simple and sincere," is easy to like. "Spontaneous," is often another word for 'lazy.'

ST: Thomas Jefferson a hero of mine
But he is still a man of his times. I don't know what you are seeing or think that he saw in the future. Was he really that prescient?

NS: If it is said that the rock band, 'TJ & the Founders,' saw the potential greatness of America, few would question it as anything more than obvious. The inevitable corruption that power & greatness engenders, is but one small step for mankind to accomplish, or to forsee. What student of history cannot predict that sort of thing like some Delphic oracle?

ST: "our eyes register the light of dead stars" The Last of The Just

NS: "Eyes" that trade the perceived sequined shimmer for scientific conception are "deader" than their stars. 'The moon is for lovers, not astronauts armed with golf clubs.' (NS)

Non Sum

Post by Non Sum » December 27th, 2009, 10:11 am

Cecil wrote
Quote:
"Woe be unto those who seek the Kingdom of God within the words of others for the Kingdom resides in each and everyone of us and it is incumbent upon us to seek the Kingdom within ourselves."- Astral Hobo

NS: Should we take Astral Hobo's 'word' for this?

one of those jerks

Post by one of those jerks » December 27th, 2009, 4:10 pm

I came here looking for a fight
I sometimes imagine a test tube of chemicals
that responds to words
It might turn yellow if you said jazz
or blue if you said b.b. king
or it might start to boil
if you said god is just

I always take Cecil at his word :)

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » December 27th, 2009, 8:39 pm

spontaneous just another word for lazy!

Well how do I like them cupcakes?

The new guy's got my number.

Maybe so N.S. but it is fun.

And I will never have the problems of a mid list author.
http://www.studioeight.tv/phpbb/viewtop ... ist+author

Non Sum

Post by Non Sum » December 27th, 2009, 10:37 pm

ST: I came here looking for a fight

NS: Sorry to have disappointed.

ST: or it might start to boil
if you said god is just

NS: 'Love of god,' 'anger at god,' two sides of the same false coin. Fathers and sons take turns letting each other down, but that's just the nature of the relationship. Only Oedipus took a positive step in seeking a resolution to this cycle of angry love.

ST: I always take Cecil at his word

NS: You take his word, but dodge his advice.

ST: spontaneous just another word for lazy!
Well how do I like them cupcakes?
The new guy's got my number.

NS: You missed the modifier "'is often' another word for lazy." Far be it for me to make assumptions about your 'spontaneous' usage. You certainly do not appear a 'lazy' poster. I'll leave it for you to decide, as I (Non Sum) am not good with "getting numbers."
Adieu

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » December 28th, 2009, 7:02 am

I reject the notion of god as father utterly
anthromorphic bullshit
we have come a long way since the year zero
everything is dualitiy I hear
but not god
there is no male and female in god
I won't go there
oh no you have not disapointed me
not at all
thank you
Cecil gave me advice?

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » January 21st, 2010, 1:13 pm

I felt inspired to station this 'cecilism' here.

I hope you two don't mind. If you do, I wonder why there hasn't been any further discourse since 12.28.09, a long-winded day for discoursing both thoughtfully and spontaneously from what I surmise.

<center>_________

Inspiration
promises nothing
but only gives of itself -
a personal invitation
to embark upon
a journey
_________<center>

Return to “Inspiration Station”