Afghanistan

Firsthand accounts from members around the world.
Tilly

Post by Tilly » March 28th, 2005, 12:34 pm

I don't hate him either, but I sure wish he would just go away! What I have a hard time with is that people voted for him - not once, but twice. Glad I am not there! When I see his sarcastic face on TV I go into an instant rage.

No hero here - I keep my back to the wall, my eyes and ears open, and my mind as alert as it can be. I want to enjoy my home in Colorado that should soon be finished.

An unedited snippit:

Coming home from dinner last night, I was startled when I looked up to see a white military man squatting down by the side of the road with a machine gun pointed at me; right down the street from where I am staying. It wasn't really at me, I soon discovered with relief, rather to "protect" some important or scared or both person that was at the Gandemak Lodge across from the lovely Kabul Lodge that boasts "fine dining" in it's light that doesn't work because there is no city electricity. I have been here now for 40 days and 40 nights, and the "fine dining" restaurant has had tomato soup and walnut salad, every day. We send our driver to pick food up for us, because on the rare occasion that they decide to cook for us, it is horrible. Now tell me … (my hotel GM hat appears, of course) one would think that they would understand that they could make a killing off of the 4 of us that have been living here for 2-3 months if they would just feed us. We beg them to feed us, but no.

I had lunch with a woman that is amazing and will be a friend - she, of course, is fucked up too, else why would I like her? Our lunch turned into 3 hours - she is working with women, widows and their kids, in a really miserable part of Kabul - teaching them hydroponics so that they can grow things on rooftops, with very little water and no soil, to sell to buy food and survive. She showed me pictures of a project that just got funded last week by the American Friends Service Committee. The Russian Cultural Center, once a beautiful old building and during the Russian times renovated, is the physical location of the project. Many pictures caught my attention, however, the one of a huge mural with Lenin as the focus was astonishing, for at the base of the mural a woman and her 6 children live in a house made from burlap bags – it was minus 25 C this past winter. The building is bombed out, only a few walls in the 3 story building are still standing, and only pieces of roof remain over certain parts of it. Betsy, my new friend, with $6,000 from AFSC is going to work with the women herself teaching them to gather the trash they need to create these hydroponic gardens on the roofs that still exist; to build the stands on which to place the "gardens"; to grow lettuce, roses and strawberries w/out soil and with little water; how to aureate the water and add the nutrients that are needed to replace the ones found in soil; how to first boil the water, because their well has dead bodies (human, animal, you name it) in it and it is therefore too high in nitrates to grow anything in. Kids are dying; mothers giving birth are dying and giving birth to still born babies because of the contaminated water. Women can't go out in the street, even those that are widowed and parenting children, so the little boys will have to go out to sell the products, but it is so much better than being a street kid or a beggar and they will learn how to do this as well. We talked about how she could get a group of women together to form an informal organization that could then apply to our program for a grant. We'll work on it more when she comes back from leave.

As I was going to have lunch with Betsy today my driver, Rahmat, had to swerve to miss a woman sitting in the middle of the street in her filthy used-to-be-blue burka begging for a few Afs. to feed her kids. It is this, prostitution or starvation. Our lunch cost $54. Somehow I have to find balance. Imagine what that pile of dirty rags in the street could do with $54.00.

After coming back to the Kabul Lodge, a friend called to tell me to look out of my window … there, in street below under the Fine Dining sign, was another white soldier with a machine gun pointing into the street. I grabbed my camera, hid behind the curtain and took a photo through the filthy window and screen of my 5* accommodations.

A dog screams in agony out my guest lodge window under the fine dining sign. I go to the window to see what is happening and to see if I can rescue it, but as I search the street below I can see no sign of the dog. There is an animal shelter here that was started by an American journalist – I will try to find out where it is and who is running it now so that I can contribute to their efforts. If women have it bad, our 4 legged friends have it worse. I understand from an Afghan/American woman who grew up outside of Atlanta that donkeys in the provinces have their noses slit so they can get more oxygen and carry a bigger load. They are also sexually assaulted as a result of the oppressive society. It is only when there is civil society that all sentient beings live in an equitable society with rights and protection. I eagerly await the arrival of my two 4 legged friends from Bulgaria, and am filled with anxiety in light of the conditions here.
Last edited by Tilly on March 29th, 2005, 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » March 28th, 2005, 2:10 pm

tilly,

teaching english as a foreign language to 2 kids today - our text was about what an Afghani father of a family had to do to keep his family in food - sell cooking pots, furniture, clothes, even the beams in his roof, but finally with no food left, he traded his two boys for some food and a little cash.

We were reading this text and doing the usual reading comprehension questions, and after the second time going through it with the second pupil, i was fighting off tears. In the text, the father goes to search for his sons to see how they are and by chance one walks by carrying water and tells him how he works hard, sleeps at night in the mountains with the sheep and how he has to hurry back so he won't get beaten.

Have you seen evidence of slave labour?

judih

Tilly

Post by Tilly » March 28th, 2005, 9:49 pm

Hi Judih ... I have not yet personally seen evidence of slave labor, but I have heard that it exists and would not be surprised at anything. Life here, for the most part, can hardly be called life at all, except that people are breathing.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » March 28th, 2005, 11:09 pm

It is business as usaul here with our two party politics. My dread about politicians that have no imagination.

"they say I was rebel until I reached the age of five
it was then that I got caught up in the strugle to survive
it came to me one rainy August morning like a flash
We might all wake up tomorrow in a pile of smoke and ash..."
Peggy Wilson, last seen getting married on the beach at Morrow bay in 1980.

sorry for the ramble just wanted to say how much I appreciate your work. I am just a flat lander. I never got used to those ten thousand foot Colorado hills.

"You got eyes buddy." The Big Sleep

Very clear writing just flows, a true appearance of things as they are.
Information we don't get on the eyewitness news happy hour.

Tilly

Post by Tilly » March 28th, 2005, 11:26 pm

Hey, I am a mountain mama myself - born and raised in the highlands of Mexico, Guatemala and Peru. Lived on South Padre Island for a while and that was fun, but sure did miss the cool mountain air and the vistas.

Like your ramblings. I am still a rebel, get's me in trouble a lot of the time - but sure keeps life interesting. The struggle to survive is relative to each of our circumstances. A person who has never been hungry cannot understand what it is like to be poor. Someone I know was once complaining about being broke as he got into his BMW and drove away. Hmmmmmm - not a lot to talk about there. I've been hungry, I had to do some creative things to feed my son - but now I am not and I am thankful. Feel somehow guilty in this environment because I have so much.

Later

hester_prynne

Post by hester_prynne » March 29th, 2005, 6:37 pm

Really appreciate your posts Tilly. It amazes me how isolated we all are from each other.

A woman begging in the middle of the road, a 54 dollar lunch........

Same thing going on in America, depends on your circumstances, luck, who you know.

Only, we don't talk much about the poverty in our own country. We're too proud or something to deal with its reality here. It's looked down upon or something.........I dunno. The usual American denial thing I guess.......seems to matter more in other countries than our own! :shock:

An aquaintance of mine is the "director" at a local women's resource center in town. I think she lacks leadership and awareness, not to mention backbone, and i'd love to send her some of your stuff here...unless you object. Might wake her up a little.....

Again, really appreciate these posts of yours you are sharing....
Thanks,
H 8)

Tilly

Post by Tilly » March 29th, 2005, 10:14 pm

Hi Hester - much of what you say is why I don't live in America, the blindness, the isloationism, the denial and the arrogance. Living abroad you get a whole other take on the US and it is not a very pretty picture.

People say I am so brave to live here - go to any ghetto in the US and watch a mother mourn her child who was brutally murdered - that's bravery. Go to any emergency room in American on a holiday or weekend night and see the mangled shot up bodies resulting from alcohol induced violence and negligence - hear their people cry - that's bravery. Here the violence is of a different nature, and if you look at it historically, American induced. Here you need not go to the ghetto or the public hospital to see the violence and inequities - they are everywhere in your face - these people are brave, especially the women, not me. I have a car with a driver, a home and office with high walls with spikes on top and security guards, I am not brave at all. I have so much and they have so little, I am so protected and they are so subjected. Yes, car bombs and guns go off and people get killed - but more people die daily from AIDS and malnourishment in Africa than do here. It is all in what the media tells you - a Social Sciences professor friend teaches a class "the Media IS the Message" - just what is reality, I wonder? :?:

This acquaintance of yours, why is she the Director? Does she not believe in what she is doing? Is it just a job, for the money? Lot's of that going on here, too. I wouldn't mind at all if you share my stuff with her - hopefully it will help her see that she is blessed to be in a position to do something for someone! THAT is why we are on this planet, me thinks.

I love your photo - it tells me so much about who you are, peeking out from behind the veil I see a wonderful soul. Thanks for chatting with me.

hester_prynne

Post by hester_prynne » March 30th, 2005, 5:00 am

Indeed, what is the reality? Now that's my kinda question!
Not something many want to deal with, and understandably, but that doesn't mean not to deal with it. We're festering in our not dealing with reality.....

My aquaintance, is a well meaning person but she's pretty well sold out to the political, and leans in favor of the direction blowing the most money.....it's a prudent security that many companies now resort to. Obviously this limits her abilities to really offer much to a woman in need and or danger, or just wanting more information on self sufficiency. She is largely supported by the United Way.......need I say more? Another corporation that pretends to offer help, but pays it's employees more than it gives to charity and expects favors from that charity. Any causes that are meant to enlighten and free women from the very oppression that women have been raised to accept, are not really very well liked by the big money. :roll:

My hope is that your posts will inspire her to be a little braver and do what she knows she needs to do to really make a difference, find better grant sources, that allow and applaud women getting out from under and onto their own.

You are indeed brave Tilly, and noble as well. You are there, eye-witnessing, bringing us beyond the phony media's eyes and into reality. This is much needed.

We all know what we need to do. I think you are doing it, I think it's a blessing for us that you've found a way to do it.
I'm really lucky to be able to read your reports. I'm excited about passing them on to the resource center.....

see you again soon,
and thanks
H 8)

Tilly

Post by Tilly » April 28th, 2005, 11:19 am

I moved this over here from someplace else on studio 8 trying to keep my stuff together - at this late stage of the game i wonder why i even bother. :roll:

Hello all, a holiday today - the celebration of the Mujahadeen running the Russians out of Afghanistan. All expats have been advised to stay in. Home body that I am, it suits me just fine.
I woke to an eerie silence this morning, the generator (using 100 liters of diesel every day) was still and the sound of silence, broken only occasionally by a bird’s song, was so welcomed.
I do not have the words to describe the oppression that women live under in this country. What is even more amazing to me is that they haven't a clue about a different way, and accept their lot, fight to keep it even. I asked my driver/guard/guide if he would make his wife wear a burqa, he replied "only if she wants to". To think that anyone would ever opt to wear that prison is unbelievable. Forced marriages of teen and pre teenaged girls in the rural areas is common place - if they don't bear, bare (?) sons, they are cast aside for another one. The article I sent along, while a bit extreme, is a true reflection of women's position in society. I feel so honored to have the opportunity to work with them in creating a more just world for their children - also a bit overwhelmed and frightened at the task ahead.
Oppression of other sentient beings, no matter how great or how small, is wrong. Yes, in the west we at least think about it ... who? The few that think? The few that care? Look who is leading our countries, look who is creating the atmosphere of violence through military might – all in the name of God? Look at the person next to you in line (that is if you don’t live in some community selected precisely for its thinking beings, as I do) and tell me if you think s/he thinks (I read this and look above at my wonderment that Afghan women accept their lot … just look at that person next to you in line, not much difference). Look who WE the people voted in and we dare call ourselves better in any way? ... I think not. I also think that thoughts such as those are arrogant and narrow minded; typical of the west and what earns us the ugly westerner label.
One of the objectives of our program is to work with the government of Afghanistan to draft, enact and implement a revised Non Government Organization Law – the one currently in use was enacted by the Taliban. I can imagine how fairly it was enforced as it couldn’t have been much worse than it is now, with the exception that women’s organizations are now allowed to function and girls schools are open again. Society in general, not only women, was oppressed during the Taliban era: music and any form of entertainment was banned and punishment ranged from stoning or amputations to death. The beautiful stadium that was built with foreign aid was used for the executions and all were required to attend and clap at the atrocities. The NGO Law is facing tremendous opposition and while much of it is unfounded, there is a certain element of truth to the government’s accusations. There has been much waste of resources that the government feels should have gone to them, but they fail to mention their own corruption. The government wants all foreign aid to come to the government and not directly to NGOs. When brought to the government’s attention that if the law passes as it is now all foreign aid assistance would dry up, the President replied, “we would be poor but we wouldn’t be corrupt”. President Karzai is also quoted as saying, “the three great evils that have befallen Afghanistan are communism, terrorism and NGOism”. However, we have managed to include many changes in the law and are still optimistic that the final draft will be one that can be interpreted in such a way as to give NGOs the freedom to operate and the government the tools to regulate NGOs in a fair and transparent manner according to international standards. The west is teaching this … fancy that!
That’s all for now … 4 horse drawn carts brought grass in for our garden yesterday and I want to go play in the water. Besides, Baba Ji, our cook just stuck his head in my door and advised that breakfast is served. Land of contrasts – still haven’t found a balance between my wealth and the poverty that surrounds me.
A new found friend invited me to his home last weekend to view the carpets he was selling in order to help an Afghan friend of his repair the roof of his house that was nearly destroyed during the conflict. Beautiful carpets from all over Afghanistan. My friend, David, lives in an old Afghan fort that is up on the hill overlooking the city. It was badly damaged during the fighting and he is slowly reconstructing it. What a great place to hang out …
A woman screaming next door, she is being beaten – I can’t see from here, but everyone is out on their balconies and roof tops trying to get a glimpse of what is going on. My heart is in my stomach – is it mere entertainment to those that seek to see … part of the daily grind of being an Afghan? I cannot go to help for that would only worsen things; all I can do is try to change the way they think, try to get them to follow the peaceful equitable words of Mohammed rather than the misinterpreted version that their mullahs portray as truth.
… 100 year old fort made of dirt and hay with its scattering of chicken droppings, old carved wooden doors, stairs that twist and turn in their uneven climbs, and carpets every where providing soft seats on the polished dirt floors. The turret, where he so graciously feeds his friends, is enclosed by windows and over-looks the former British Counsel with its luscious lawn and the fort’s courtyard where flowers begin their bloom and an organic herb garden is identifiable by the seed packets waving in the breeze. The current rains have cleaned the dust off of plants and trees turning the mountains green with life. We can’t go there, tho’, because of the land mines and terrorists; however the view from the fort is spectacular. The city lights shine up from below and, because of the distance above the city, the generators do not distract from the beauty and peacefulness of the place. Around the courtyard are many vacant rooms; and I cannot but wish that I could take my dogs and move over there and really live in Afghanistan rather than in this sterile staff house that may become my prison. When he learned of my home building in Colorado he led me over to a window and pointed to the snow capped mountains – he said it reminded him so of his home in Boulder; his accent is clearly British.
Have to stop now, my laptop battery is running out of juice.

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » April 28th, 2005, 11:38 pm

Hi Tilly

sorry it took us so long to set this board up. It's been hectic around here. I was just doing a search for all of your threads so I could move them here. But I see you've already moved this one. I don't know whether it was an original topic or if this was a reply before... I'm so confused. :)

Anyway, welcome aboard and we'll all be looking for more of your reports to this board in the future.

If there are any entire threads which you started which you'd like me to move, I can move the threads here to this forum, exactly as they were, dated as they were....

just let me know...

I'll do another search tomorrow. Getting late now.

Thank you for your eye-witness accounts. I couldn't do what you're doing.. that's for sure. I have all the respect in the world....

Tilly

Post by Tilly » May 3rd, 2005, 10:27 pm

Women again being used to make a statement. There is a demonstration tomorrow in front of the presidential palace; unfortunately I will be on my way to Bulgaria and won't be able to go, but we do have a good representation of women who are willing to participate.

t

Tuesday 3rd May, 2005

Three Afghan women killed as warning
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Big News Network.com Tuesday 3rd May, 2005 (UPI)

Afghan officials are investigating the deaths of three women who were raped and strangled, apparently as a warning not to work with aid groups.

The partially clothed bodies of the women were found north of Pol-e-Khomri, the capital of the northern Baghlan province, on the side of a road. Pakistani newspaper The Daily Times reported Monday that a note was attached to their chests warning others not to work with non-governmental aid groups. One of the women was known to work with a Bangladeshi aid group helping Afghan widows.

Dr. Abdul Khalil, a doctor in Pol-e-Khomri, 95 miles north of Kabul, told the BBC tests showed the women had been sexually assaulted.

A group calling itself the Afghan Youths Convention told the BBC it had carried out the killings because the women were having relationships with Americans.

Many aid groups have withdrawn staff from parts of Afghanistan because of threats from the Taliban.

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » May 4th, 2005, 6:46 am

Barbarism.

Will women continue to work to assist others? Anyone could spread a rumour to cause the downfall of women. In such a sexist society, how does a woman have a chance?

Will there be media coverage of the demonstration?

Tilly

Post by Tilly » May 4th, 2005, 8:19 am

Hi Judih - I am asking our media person to attend and hopefully he can generate some press coverage, he has great contacts. We have a gender expert consultant in from the UK and she our Local Gender Advisor are going. Our program people are on the road so they can't go. I am sorry to miss it, but duty calls in Bulgaria.

Women will always continue the battle for survival THAT is the ONLY reason we have any world left at all. Talk about brave, no AK 47 or kalishnikov for them, they come armed with humanity.

Dashing to get my worked done and packed to go to Bulgaria.

You are armed with humanity too. Nice to know you.
t

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » May 4th, 2005, 9:40 am

Tilly flies off to another land to stir up some common sense.

Hope the female power strides on from continent to continent, with magnetic waves

judih

Whitebird Sings

Post by Whitebird Sings » May 4th, 2005, 7:33 pm

Tilly

Thank you for the work that you do.
thank you for your heart --
thank you for your dedication and
thank you for your courage.

I have passed on the newstory to my network -- and put a call out for action.

How else can we help?

On a personal note -- I have spent years -- in Canada -- working to stop violence against women and children in this country... I am at a place of transition, and want to help make changes globally...

Please let me know what I can do personally... My personal email address is: glasgow@distributel.net

Once you email me there, I will provide further details of my background.

Finally, I say this... even though I am regarded in my work life as an intellectual... I am an oddity in that I believe in the power of prayer... and so I pray for the woman whose screams you heard... and for the many more whose voices are no more...

I hope to hear from you soon!

Return to “Eyewitness Reports”