Afghanistan

Firsthand accounts from members around the world.
Tilly

Afghanistan

Post by Tilly » March 24th, 2005, 1:38 pm

Clay's been trying to get me to put something on here - so here it is ... a snapshot of life in Kabul. I'll try to figure out how to insert the photos into the text ... :roll: in the meantime, here is the link until Clay rescues me. http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/tillyreed ... /my_photos

Kabul - Saturday morning, March 19th

Broken toilets, military helmets (photo 1), bombed out buildings and burnt out vehicles line the way of life. Sun shining brightly gives hope that life will soon return to normal: Whatever normal may be to each. Cultures and traditions lost to Russians and insurgents, the smart/rich ones left; religious beliefs and practices sullied by impositions, misinterpretation paving the way for patriarchal obsessions of power over others. What is their insecurity that violence upon other sentient beings is their only means to self? A young man flies a colorful kite from the top of TV Hill (photo 2) that was the downfall of one tribe of man after another; he looks so normal. The kite drifts over the reality of the recent past, and the possibilities of the present. (photo 3) Ask the young man if his wife will wear a burka and cover herself from head to toe with only a coarse mesh to see out of, and he will say yes, undoubtedly. Ask this young man why she should do this, and he will no doubt tell you that it is to protect her. And she, without a choice or knowledge of another way, does as she is told by her husband, her brother, her father, her brother in law and any other man that is even remotely related to her. The daughters, nothing more than their value in Afghanis, or livestock – sell the child into prostitution for what other good is she? The universal blindness of man magnified a thousand percent. And “no”, we hear, “AIDS is not a problem in Afghanistan”.

Photographer in the street with a scribe, red cloth hanging on the wall (photo 4)– down the street the passport office has a line out the door and down Passport Road to the main road … people trying to get out of the country, trying to find a better life. Perhaps their sojourn abroad will open them to a civil society where all have a right to be, to be heard, to have a voice in their own lives and to participate in the decision making process. However, it is all men lined up to have their photo taken, their documents filled out, before joining the line to enter the office for their way out. Very occasionally, a woman in her burka, pulling it close to her face so that she can see, quickly walks by not daring to look anywhere but down; fancy shoes are all that is visible of the woman. (photo 5) Widows with hordes of children, covered in their burkas, beg for an Afghani for food as turbaned men, of great manliness and good looks, clothed in baggy pants and long shirts with fabulous shawls wrapped about them to ward off the morning chill, squat to urinate along the walls.

Rain washes the air clean and green sprouts are seen here and there. Spring is coming - the time of new life. The warmer weather thaws the snow and ice on the high passes through the mountains, (photo 6) giving the Taliban opportunity to re-announce themselves by bombing and killing; all in the name of Allah? Condelezza Rice’s visit prompted the most recent action – just what can I say about that? An email just in advises of “…2.5 million handed to the Minister of Women’s Affairs by the United States Agency for International Development to help raise the profile and impact of the Ministry as a national, principled leader on issues of women and social justice and increase the Ministry's influence on programs that can improve the lives of women. USAID will also assist in developing and coordinating programs for the seventeen Provincial Women's Resource Centers that facilitate outreach into the provinces to improve the lives of women and girls. USAID has provided more than $50 million to support women's issues in Afghanistan since the fall of the Taliban”. “From the American People”, as the USAID logo says (your tax dollars at work). There is tremendous pressure from Capitol Hill to get grants out to women, no matter the sustainability or actual outcome/impact of the project – just get the money out to get the Afghan/American lobbyists off the back of our fine people on the Hill so they will get off the back of USAID/Afghanistan, and we all know which way shit rolls. It’s ok, we will get the money out, and still implement a good program – balance in everything we do. Feed the dragons.

Concertina wire surrounds this building, huge concrete barriers surround that building, and 18’ walls with metal spikes surround another. (photo 7) Next to them the remnants of what was once someone’s home, where children were born and raised for generations now a pile of rubble and trash, with donkeys and orphans eating from the garbage. Afghans from around the world returning, some doing good others further raping and pillaging the country. Companies registering as non-government organizations/non profits, the UN workers and other contractors giving aid workers a bad rap, making us the focus of the government in analyzing the NGO law – because of “the luxurious lifestyles, $50,000+ vehicles, wild parties and orgies” that go on. The Thursday nights of raucous expatriate events at the Elbow Room and other such expat hangouts giving cause/rise to the statements of concern; but is the NGO Law the way to address these issues? (The maid, wrapped in her burka, is in my room now; dusting the furniture is an interesting exercise in futility – both because she cannot see and because the dust is a constant and minutes after any attempt to rid the area of its film it is back.) Expatriate buildings with high walls, cement barriers and armed guards – paying 2 million and more for their expat security guard and service “From the American People” – call attention to themselves – here we are … come and get us! A low profile means of securing our safety seems the wiser choice. Big white Toyota Land Cruisers and other such SUVs ($50,000+ vehicles - saw a Cadillac SUV in the PX parking lot yesterday) go through town and along the highways with their radio antennas whipping in the air again calling out … here we are, come and get us! Balance between necessity, safety and reason.

New Year celebrations are gearing up; March 21st the day to welcome in the new year. It is utterly strange, and pleasant, for the event to not be based around the consumption of alcohol. The euphoria, however, is brought on by other extremes, other passions and obsessions. Women gather, once their men folk leave, shed their chains and talk of a better life for their children, as women do in every corner of the world. Women’s organizations work with the war and abandoned widows and half orphans and orphans cum street kids – teaching them a trade so they can eat and find nourishment other than what they manage to scrounge from the garbage piles. (photo 8) They work packaging and distributing condoms to fight the non-existent AIDS problem. They work with women who are in prison for no other reason than that they angered their husbands or disappointed them in some way – perhaps bearing girl children, or for some reason not being willing to continue being the focus of their violence. The children, through association also guilty and especially so if they are girls, are allowed to be with their mothers in prison during the day, but are put out to fend for themselves in the night – our pets have a luxurious life. And this as the call to prayer sounds out 5 times a day, and the men cleanse their faces, their arm pits, their private parts, their hands and feet in order to be clean enough to pray to Allah, whom they now totally misunderstand, whose words have been distorted far beyond those of the gods of all other organized religions. This is basic in its truest form. Women’s organizations also work to give women a voice, but first have to teach them that they have the right to have one! They have to first assure them that they will be there in their times of need – when they need a place to escape from the violence of their homes, or they need a kind voice and soft touch when they wind up in jail. Where do we start, how far back do we have to go, where is the foundation from which to build? Imposition of our ways is no better than the Russians or the insurgents, or the misinterpretation of the holy book. Throwing money at the problem without first involving those that live it everyday in identifying the problem and involving them in the solution creates more problems than it solves; half baked promises. Building the awareness of the staff so they can carry the message; giving them the skills they need to be the true agents of change; helping them understand that everyone is equal and that differences should be looked upon as opportunities to learn rather than objects or behaviors of scorn and/or prejudice. If they go about the country truly believing that all are equal regardless of their gender, religion, ethnicity, etc. and that every human being has the right to be heard and listened to, then they will indeed be the messengers and agents of change. (photo 9)

I appeared on TV and in the media during a recent International Women’s Day event, which was funded by our program with your tax dollars – thanks! I spoke of women’s voices and their need to be on an equal par with those of males. It was a pleasant surprise to see men in the audience, and to listen to them also speaking of equality and justice for women and between the sexes. A representative from the Presidential palace, resplendent in his turban, spoke of the government’s interest and commitment to civil society which cannot be in effect without the participation of women who make up more than 50% of the population. Beautiful young girls dressed in traditional outfits from across the country recited poetry and sang songs, including “We Shall Overcome” which brought tears to my eyes, tears of humility for their strength in light of their difficult position in society. No digital photos of the event, but a wonderful video and photos that were presented to our staff.

On Chicken Street, the periodic tourist gazes at the carpets, beautiful shawls (photo 10) and lapis jewelry that are on display. Anyone interested? Special deal for you! I will increase the price 50% and donate the proceeds to the Women’s Center; beautiful things and a bargain at that. The Annual Crestone (Colorado) Music Festival will provide the venue for sale of beautiful Afghan things – August 5-7 – the proceeds again going to the Women’s Center. On the next street over, Flower Street, most anything can be found to appease the expat’s hunger for things familiar: peanut butter, Hob Nobs, chili sauces, breads, imported cheeses … much more than I ever found in Bulgaria, but then Afghans have always been traders par excellence and a demand is quickly filled. On other streets beef, mutton and poultry hang in the dust and grime, adding their blood to the violence; bread looking like snow shoes hangs in the next stall. (photo 11) Fresh cilantro makes promises of summer’s offerings of fruit and vegetables. Then there are the 3 PXs that sell lots and lots of alcohol and tobacco to the expat community, along with food stuff (including flour tortillas and salsa), a limited inventory of clothing, military necessities such as compasses, boots, camping equipment and some really cool lightweight but warm and compact military sleeping bags – one of which has my eye.

And this just in: “On 17 Mar a significant clash took place between the FC and tribesmen in Dera Bugti city. The details are uncertain and current reports conflict considerably, at the moment. One report suggests that it was an attempt to assassinate the DCO and local FC commander, and another that the FC were mounting a search operation and were attacked in order to prevent this. Also, reports suggest that FC casualties may have been as high as 5 killed and 20 wounded and tribal casualties as high as 50 killed and 150 wounded. It will probably be some time before the truth is known. What is clear, however, is that tensions remain high in the area and that the capacity for violent action is considerable. Accordingly, Dera Bugti city in particular and Dera Bugti District in general are considered to be at threat level "HIGH" and should be avoided. The surrounding districts of Jafarabad, Nasirabad, Kholu and Sibi remain at threat level "MEDIUM" and additional precautions in those areas remain in order.”

Life on the edge … where I want to be, where little successes are made huge by the overwhelming need.

Peace to all and Happy New Year!

Tilly

Lightning Rod

Post by Lightning Rod » March 24th, 2005, 1:57 pm

Tilly,

It's so good to see you here and to read your dispatch from Afghanistan.

We have known each other for, what? four years? Only through email.

You have shared your adventures with me and I'm sure that the members here at Studio Eight will be fascinated by them, as I have been.

For the benefit of those that don't know you as well as I do, would you please post a little bio?

I'll help you with the images soon.
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » March 24th, 2005, 2:37 pm

fascinating, tilly. How good to hear that you're there observing, picking up facts, voicing your thoughts when possible.

What is your team? Who are you in the picture?

judih

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » March 24th, 2005, 3:13 pm

– just get the money out to get the Afghan/American lobbyists off the back of our fine people on the Hill so they will get off the back of USAID/Afghanistan, and we all know which way shit rolls. It’s ok, we will get the money out, and still implement a good program – balance in everything we do. Feed the dragons
speaking of the fine people on the hill
misinterpretation paving the way for patriarchal obsessions of power over others

That sounds like the fine occupant of the – just get the money out to get the Afghan/American lobbyists off the back of our fine people on the Hill so they will get off the back of USAID/Afghanistan, and we all know which way shit rolls. It’s ok, we will get the money out, and still implement a good program – balance in everything we do. Feed the dragons

speaking of the fine people on the hill
misinterpretation paving the way for patriarchal obsessions of power over others.

That sounds like the fine occupant of the presindential palace

And twenty blocks a way from the palace I bet that not much has changed.
14th and U St NW looked bombed out in the eighties twenty years after St. Martin’s martyrdom. I wonder how it looks now?
“From the American People”
From the women of the world
Women gather, once their men folk leave, shed their chains and talk of a better life for their children, as women do in every corner of the world. Women’s organizations work with the war and abandoned widows and half orphans and orphans cum street kids – teaching them a trade so they can eat and find nourishment other than what they manage to scrounge from the garbage piles. (photo

I appeared on TV and in the media during a recent International Women’s Day event, which was funded by our program with your tax dollars – thanks!
This is great really good copy I been trying to get my IRS paperwork done so complicated for the little money I make. But it makes me feel like I am contributing something too.
I tend to get jingoistic about North American women, I have to remind myself that there are groups all over the world taking up the work.
to pray to Allah, whom they now totally misunderstand, whose words have been distorted far beyond those of the gods of all other organized religions.
Are you sure about that. I would say that G W Bush totally misunderstands his Cro-Magnon religion too.

one of which has my eye
you caught all my eyes with this dispatch
life on the edge
calls for a low profile I think, I don’t need to see the pics, your words a thousand pics
thanks
l palace

And twenty blocks a way from the palace I bet that not much has changed.
14th and U St NW looked bombed out in the eighties twenty years after St. Martin’s martyrdom. I wonder how it looks now?
“From the American People”
From the women of the world
Women gather, once their men folk leave, shed their chains and talk of a better life for their children, as women do in every corner of the world. Women’s organizations work with the war and abandoned widows and half orphans and orphans cum street kids – teaching them a trade so they can eat and find nourishment other than what they manage to scrounge from the garbage piles. (photo
I appeared on TV and in the media during a recent International Women’s Day event, which was funded by our program with your tax dollars – thanks!
This is great really good copy I been trying to get my IRS paperwork done so complicated for the little money I make. But it makes me feel like I am contributing something too.
I tend to get jingoistic about North American women, I have to remind myself that there are groups all over the world taking up the work.
to pray to Allah, whom they now totally misunderstand, whose words have been distorted far beyond those of the gods of all other organized religions.
Are you sure about that. I would say that G W Bush totally misunderstands his Cro-Magnon religion too.
one of which has my eye
you caught all my eyes with this dispatch
life on the edge
calls for a low profile I think your words are worth a thousand pics
thanks

hester_prynne

Post by hester_prynne » March 24th, 2005, 6:09 pm

Hello Tilly and welcome, welcome, welcome. I want to tell you how much reading just this first post of yours has opened my eyes.
I hope there will be more.
I so admire what you are doing, and I am grateful that you are sharing this, more grateful than I can express.

Thank you...
I'm amazed, and stopped in my tracks......
H 8)

Tilly

Post by Tilly » March 24th, 2005, 9:58 pm

Hello all - I am so glad my ramblings were of use and interest. There will be more as time permits and juices flow.

Stilltrukin' take a float for me, will ya? - yes, completely misunderstood. Mohammed, as Jesus and the Buddha and all holy men (I wonder ... were/are there no holy women or has the patriarchal "church" merely illiminated them? But that is for another discussion.), preached a life of love and compassion to all. This is lost in all religions but more so here in Afghanistan where women have no place in society whatsoever except, of course, as the recipients of violence, abuse and injustice - and their girl children, by association, have no better life. Not to say that GW is any better, or rather, would be any better in these conditions. But I live in a fishbowl and cannot freely state my thoughts - at least not and stay here to try to ease the lives of the most marginalized. That in itself is a reflection of the American times.

Yes, a low profile is indeed call for - on all fronts!

Hi Judih - my team is our staff that will hopefully "change their minds" and go about the country expemplifying civil society so that our work can improve the lives of afghans and especially women. I
am the old woman with short hair in the back row :wink: The elders do garnish a bit more respect (even women) so I have finally found good use for growing old.

This is great! Thanks, Clay - thanks, everyone! Nice to have friends to share and chat with.

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » March 25th, 2005, 12:24 am

hey tilly.
good to see there's internet connection! (the goddesses/gods must be on your side). May your staff crank out phenomenally powerful examples. Within Islam, there is a way to justice, but how many will be able to undo centuries of cultural weight in order to find it?

Better send you some good strong vibes - strength for this mission.
And a protective reiki bubble wouldn't hurt.
Be careful - you may be wearing some of the respect vestements awarded to grey haired women (i'm hoping to find someone to offer me a little grey-haired respect), but you're still a human being in a primitive land - all the best to you.

looking forward to more reports.

judih

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » March 25th, 2005, 3:50 pm

Hi Tilly!

Welcome!

What an intriguing and well-written eye-witness report! I admire you so much for what you are doing!

Thanks for the peak into your life and work over there, and for the accompanying photos!

Clay has been telling me a little about you and your trip to Afghanistan and the work you are doing for some time. We're both so happy to see you've posted this here!

We were thinking of a new category for the site - Eyewitness Reports .... I know he mentioned this to you and he told me you were interested and that's very cool! We'll set something up soon and let you know.

In the meantime, we'll all look forward to reading more here in the Discussions forum or the Culture forum, wherever you'd like to post them.

Thanks again for being here, Tilly! It's an honor to finally *meet* you, though only cyberwise.

-doreen

judih - perhaps you'd be interested in this concept, also. Many who post and read here are in the US or Canada and we're all interested in knowing more about what it's like to live on the other side of the world. If you'd like to post stories about living in Israel, the local news you are getting over there, what kibbutz life is like, etc., please let me know and I'll set you up a spot for your Eyewitness Reports, as well.

Tilly

Post by Tilly » March 25th, 2005, 9:25 pm

Hi Doreen - nice to "meet" you, too! The eyewittness reports sound like a good idea - Judih I would like to learn more about Israel.

So glad I finally let Clay talk me into this, and figured out how :oops: to do it!

All peace,

t

knip

Post by knip » March 25th, 2005, 11:11 pm

words of gods written by men, which are then interpreted by men

any wonder why the original intent and meaning might have been lost?

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » March 26th, 2005, 12:24 am

you said it yourself, knip: "interpreted by men".

Wisdom is only as effective as its interpretation.
Get yerself a human being dragged down by the weight of ignorance, and yer not gonna find a lot of wisdom. Wisdom comes from painful self-work and clearing away mind debris. It's not for nothing that people drag themselves across their worst fears in order to attain a little enlightenment. Not a lot of humans can be found doing that kinda thing.

Take a sentence written by an enlightened being and hand it to someone who doesn't have a clue where it came from and just watch how that sentence will be sliced down to its lowest denominator.

j

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » March 26th, 2005, 2:29 am

I relealize you have constraints on what to leave in and what to leave out.
No comparislon between Laura and the women of Afghanistan. American women we dress them in the protection of the constituition not burqas.. Still a long uphill struggle to go.

My criticism of Bush is his shallowness. What Christ he speaks of I do not understand He has no soul. A monstrous lack of imagination.
I don't think Georgie has taken a leap within whatever blah blah jesus he mouths. Take a float? ok if you say so.
"In meiner Seele dunklem Spiegel Sind Bilder nie geseh'ner Meere"
Not to say that GW is any better,
Trakl had too much imagination. For this reason he couldn't stand war, which arises above all from a monstrous lack of imagination. 1 --Franz Kafka
a sophism of madness
But we have our own more recent
who also fatally assumed
that some direct connection
does exist between
language and reality
word and world
which is a laugh
if you ask me
I too have drunk and seen
the spider
Ferlinghetti

mousey1

Post by mousey1 » March 26th, 2005, 2:45 pm

Tilly you have my greatest respect.

Really appreciated your verbal images.

I am pleased to make your cyber-acquaintance and am looking forward to more installments.

Please be ever so mindful and careful. You are living in a powderkeg.
I used to walk with my head in the clouds but I kept getting struck by lightning!
Now my head twitches and I drool alot. Anonymouse

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v475/mousey1/shhhhhh.gif[/img]

Tilly

Post by Tilly » March 26th, 2005, 10:39 pm

Hi Stilltrukin' - Clay told me you live somewhere around San Marcos and the float I was referring to was down the river. I spent a good many years in San Antonio and the Hill Country - floating down those rivers was a favorite past time.

Hi Mousey - nice to make your cyber acquaintance too. Thanks for your care.

All peace,

t

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » March 28th, 2005, 10:56 am

I live a block away from the Taj Mahal located in the New Germany area. Once in a while I get to ride out to New Berlin TX. It floats me good.

Taking a float on G W Bush

“I wanta Jap smack him upside the head”.
The words don’t mean anything
Just an emotional response to lies
I wish him well
Even if he does not know that he is trying to enslave me
I don’t know what I would do with out haiku
I don’t hate the man; I don’t want to hit him.
My anger floating in the trees

Crostics
A thousand tree limbs?
half naked intersections
write words in the sky
...Naked; bare: nudibranch. Latin ndi-, from ndus, naked
Do me a favor
Don’t try to be a hero
Peace

Return to “Eyewitness Reports”