Horror in Afghanistan

Firsthand accounts from members around the world.
Lightning Rod

Horror in Afghanistan

Post by Lightning Rod » April 27th, 2005, 12:03 am

Tilly, our correspondent in Afhanistan sent me this email today
I have to share it. For those of you that don't know, Tilly is working with a relief organization in Afghanistan. Here is her note.

-------

It is difficult to think about where to even begin promoting civil society when things such as this, while not common place, continue to occur. She was stoned to death by her husband, her lover received 100 lashes … some how I see absolutely no justice in this. I cannot help but think that violence was an everyday occurrence in the poor woman’s life and that perhaps her lover offered her some semblance of kindness – or maybe that is just what I would like to believe … ?

T

Monday 25th April, 2005

Afghan woman stoned to death

Big News Network.com Monday 25th April, 2005 (UPI)

A woman in Afghanistan was stoned to death after a local court found her guilty of adultery, according to media reports Monday.

It happened last week in the Afghan province of Badakhshan . Death by stoning of women found guilty of adultery was common under the Talibans, but Amina, 29, was the first to be executed since the ouster of the fundamentalist regime.

Shah Jahan Noori, a district police official, said the central government in Kabul was investigating information that a mullah or clergyman had passed the sentence.

The decision was up to the magistrates and not to local dignitaries, he said. Those responsible will be arrested and punished.

The reports said Amina was stoned to death by her husband, while her lover received 100 lashes and was released.
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » April 27th, 2005, 1:14 am

L-rod - regards to tilly - was wondering what's been going on with her lately. It's almost impossible to imagine that reality in Afghanistan is so far from western sense of justice.

It's still going on. How much longer?

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » April 27th, 2005, 9:12 am

Primitive bastards! When are those fux going to wake up and join the Moderns? If it wasn't so goddam violent it would be a comedy. Talk about a Fear Factor! Those fux are instilled in fear... spending more time worrying about WOMAN than getting on with their lives.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » April 27th, 2005, 12:19 pm

When the fuck are the American people going to wake up. Afhanistan is our shame. Unfinished business left undone because we cut and run to Iraq. I am sure it had nothing to do with oil. The enemy of our enemy is our friend. The next person who says that to me is going to get pie right in their face. We did all we could to help the Taliban because they were the enemy of our enemy the USSR. Chickens come home to roost in NYC. Meanwhile Pakistan is our dear friend. Floating those nukes all over the world.

I want to spit

When is the last time you have seen one thing about Afghana-where? in the news.

take care tilly and thank you

hester_prynne

Post by hester_prynne » April 27th, 2005, 5:20 pm

I've been thinking about Tilly too, and hoping to hear more from her, unfortunately it's this.
I could write volumes but I won't. Not because there is no point, but because this story says everything.
I can't help but cry. Tears of sadness, frustration and anger. Modern society or not, women have been facing this kind of violent injustice since the beginning. It's not fixed anywhere, it's just that the injustice in more modern societies is less evident, or extreme, it's more covert.
I would wager this incident is not in the news because even in a modern, "enlightened" society such as America, (ha :roll: ) there is refusal to cop to the accepted and societal degradation and unfair treatment of women, which goes on every minute right here in the USA, and has been going on since like I said, the very beginning.
So, if this story were making headlines, it could bring more awareness of this everpresent injustice towards women, in all of it's varying extremes.
We wouldn't want that now would we?
:roll:
I'll continue on fighting this injustice in the only way that I can, and that is to be fiercely verbal about it. So far the worst injuries I've suffered in my fight against it are a fat lip, a few bruises, and the long term label as a bitch.

What a fucking shame it is.
Thanks for posting LRod, and say hello to Tilly for me...a heartfelt hello....
H 8)

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » April 27th, 2005, 11:22 pm

I understand where you coming from on this, Hes'... and you are correct in saying anti-woman behavor is prevlent in any society - primitive, modern or in between.

my point was that in this particular social strata that i verbally abused, there is an over-abundance of time and resources spent towards the control of women, which we don't see quite so blantantly in more developed societies. those societies lean a bit more to improving the social dilemmas versus ignoring them. It is a long and difficult problem, this man/woman differenciation that is seemingly built in to our psyches. whether many of those problems are simply conditionings that need to be dumped or if these differences are 'natural' is still up for answers... and that is my point - the 'moderns' at least make attempts at understanding the differences. ('moderns' is one shitty word, isn't it?)

enough.

Tilly

Post by Tilly » April 28th, 2005, 2:20 am

Hello all, a holiday today - the celebration of the Mujahadeen running the Russians out of Afghanistan. All expats have been advised to stay in. Home body that I am, it suits me just fine.
I woke to an eerie silence this morning, the generator (using 100 liters of diesel every day) was still and the sound of silence, broken only occasionally by a bird’s song, was so welcomed.
I do not have the words to describe the oppression that women live under in this country. What is even more amazing to me is that they haven't a clue about a different way, and accept their lot, fight to keep it even. I asked my driver/guard/guide if he would make his wife wear a burqa, he replied "only if she wants to". To think that anyone would ever opt to wear that prison is unbelievable. Forced marriages of teen and pre teenaged girls in the rural areas is common place - if they don't bear, bare (?) sons, they are cast aside for another one. The article I sent along, while a bit extreme, is a true reflection of women's position in society. I feel so honored to have the opportunity to work with them in creating a more just world for their children - also a bit overwhelmed and frightened at the task ahead.
Oppression of other sentient beings, no matter how great or how small, is wrong. Yes, in the west we at least think about it ... who? The few that think? The few that care? Look who is leading our countries, look who is creating the atmosphere of violence through military might – all in the name of God? Look at the person next to you in line (that is if you don’t live in some community selected precisely for its thinking beings, as I do) and tell me if you think s/he thinks (I read this and look above at my wonderment that Afghan women accept their lot … just look at that person next to you in line, not much difference). Look who WE the people voted in and we dare call ourselves better in any way? ... I think not. I also think that thoughts such as those are arrogant and narrow minded; typical of the west and what earns us the ugly westerner label.
One of the objectives of our program is to work with the government of Afghanistan to draft, enact and implement a revised Non Government Organization Law – the one currently in use was enacted by the Taliban. I can imagine how fairly it was enforced as it couldn’t have been much worse than it is now, with the exception that women’s organizations are now allowed to function and girls schools are open again. Society in general, not only women, was oppressed during the Taliban era: music and any form of entertainment was banned and punishment ranged from stoning or amputations to death. The beautiful stadium that was built with foreign aid was used for the executions and all were required to attend and clap at the atrocities. The NGO Law is facing tremendous opposition and while much of it is unfounded, there is a certain element of truth to the government’s accusations. There has been much waste of resources that the government feels should have gone to them, but they fail to mention their own corruption. The government wants all foreign aid to come to the government and not directly to NGOs. When brought to the government’s attention that if the law passes as it is now all foreign aid assistance would dry up, the President replied, “we would be poor but we wouldn’t be corrupt”. President Karzai is also quoted as saying, “the three great evils that have befallen Afghanistan are communism, terrorism and NGOism”. However, we have managed to include many changes in the law and are still optimistic that the final draft will be one that can be interpreted in such a way as to give NGOs the freedom to operate and the government the tools to regulate NGOs in a fair and transparent manner according to international standards. The west is teaching this … fancy that!
That’s all for now … 4 horse drawn carts brought grass in for our garden yesterday and I want to go play in the water. Besides, Baba Ji, our cook, just stuck his head in my door and advised that breakfast is served. Land of contrasts – still haven’t found a balance between my wealth and the poverty that surrounds me.

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » April 28th, 2005, 8:28 am

Thx, Tilly, for this well-written report from the front lines. I live on the TX/NM border with Mexico and within eyesight I see the slums of poverty contrasting with that of the U.S.-side. Altho, obviously we have our own levels of poverty it does not compare with dirt floors and shanties pasted together with cardboard and wood scraps - those structures wouldn't pass building codes, for gawds sake! :wink:

But seriously I do believe there is hope on this one blue planet, hope for us all to grow UPwards and not only old, to learn not only of ourselves but to digest the community of man and compare differences and see how we can all further the cause of unity and peace. It is a long, long journey but one that we all need to open our eyes to, to see that we truly are all one, and that our differences are social moreso than individual - Baba Ji, the cook wants peace and hope just as much as any other soul that walks the earth. It is incumbent upon the people, Afghanistanese or otherwise, to keep the flame of hope lit that brings dreams of a future alive for all, regardless of societies, governments or religions.

Thanks again for your dispatch.

Lightning Rod

Post by Lightning Rod » April 28th, 2005, 9:05 am

Tilly,

Thanks as always for your feet-on-the-ground report. It lets us see the picture. My admiration and respect for you and your efforts is boundless. You are living where the rubber meets the (dharma) road. Your articles not only inform us but they help me personally because they let me know that you are safe (relatively speaking) and alive. I send the good blue vibe to you often via short-wave. I know what you do makes a difference. Keep On.

lrod

The Poet's Eye

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » April 28th, 2005, 10:32 am

Tilly, you should be syndicated.
May i pass your articles around? Or should i simply guide everyone here?

Doreen, L-Rod? What's the chance of making a separate forum for just Tilly so that we can keep Afghanistan reports in one visible location?

judih

Lightning Rod

Post by Lightning Rod » April 28th, 2005, 11:15 am

yep, judih
it's on the way

The Poet's Eye

Tilly

Post by Tilly » April 28th, 2005, 11:19 am

Hi - I am going to move to the Afghanistan forum and copy the latest from Kabul report there. I added a bit more to it after breakfast :lol: I am also fixin' to download more photos and I'll try to get them on here somehow.

See you there

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » April 28th, 2005, 11:21 am

our pile of awareness is blooming!

thanks, L-rod, Dor, and Tilly!

judih

Tilly

Post by Tilly » April 28th, 2005, 11:25 am

Hi Judih - please feel free to pass any of what i write on to anyone that cares to read it. I blush as your compliments - I don't believe any of it is mine.

t

Tilly

Post by Tilly » April 28th, 2005, 11:43 am

Hey mtmynd - lucky you ... monkey brain here.

I too believe that there is a way to peace and equality or I wouldn't be doing what I am doing. I by no means meant to make lite of those few thinking beings whose conscious leads them to at least contemplate the horrors of oppression. I only become exasperated at the limited number - 99.99999% of any given community? or thereabouts?

Return to “Eyewitness Reports”