WALMART!

Firsthand accounts from members around the world.
Whitebird Sings

WALMART!

Post by Whitebird Sings » May 14th, 2005, 10:36 am

WALMART... a name that makes me shudder and bile rise up into my throat!

...in both the U.S. and Canada this company is known for it's poverty level wages...

There is news report after news report -- even in the mainstream media -- describing the working conditions...

WHERE IS THE PUBLIC OUTRAGE????

Meanwhile, Alice Walton (as in WalMart) buys a painting for $35 million dollars!!!!...

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/14/arts/ ... ?th&emc=th

It's reminiscent of the days of lairds* and their poor...

But then -- Sharon Stone just named her child "Laird" didn't she... perhaps to remind us...

[*laird is an old Scottish term meaning: owner of the land and master of all the people/animals who lived on it]

Whitebird Sings

Post by Whitebird Sings » May 27th, 2005, 12:00 am

The evidence continues to mount against Wal-Mart in both Canada and the U.S. -- they pay poverty level wages... and who is it that they mainly employ? -- WOMEN!!

Wal-Mart is the largest private sector employer of women in the United States -- with over 700,000 female employees

...OUTRAGE... DO I HEAR OUTRAGE???

We all need to think long and hard about the incredible cost of shopping at WalMart -- We all need to consider the human cost to people in Canada, the US and in the countries where they import their products from...

There are reports that WalMart accounts for 10% of all products shipped out of China!... consider what the employees in these factories are paid... and who they are! ...and how they are treated!

"WalMart is not just the world's largest retailer. It's the world's largest company--bigger than ExxonMobil, General Motors, and General Electric. The scale can be hard to absorb. Wal-Mart sold $244.5 billion worth of goods last year." *

The author of this article goes on to write: [Walmart] is, in fact, so big and so furtively powerful as to have become an entirely different order of corporate being." What do you think he means by that?

Does it scare you? It should!

Can we do something about it... OF COURSE WE CAN!!

As a start -- DON'T SHOP THERE... just DON'T!!!!!!!!!! ...and tell people you don't shop there... and tell them why!

*(http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/77/walmart.html)

Whitebird Sings

Post by Whitebird Sings » June 4th, 2005, 8:56 pm

June 3, 2005

Wal-Mart's New Realm: Reality TV
By STUART ELLIOTT

Wal-Mart, seeking additional ways to burnish its tarnished image, is turning to a new realm: reality TV.

For the first time, Wal-Mart Stores is becoming a major sponsor of a reality television show, by signing a branded-entertainment agreement with ABC for "The Scholar," a summer series that begins a six-week run on Monday night. Wal-Mart will be woven into the plots of episodes of the show, which is centered on a competition among 10 high school seniors from across the country for a grand prize of a full college scholarship, valued at $250,000, covering tuition and expenses.

[for the rest of the article see: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/03/busin ... nted=print ]

So... let's see Walmart is going to hand out scholarships... and then what... and then we will all believe they are a great company after all!! ...(excuse me while I leave the room to VOMIT!)

HOW ABOUT THEY HAND OUT SCHOLARSHIPS... BUILD SCHOOLS... AND PAY SOMETHING MORE THAN POVERTY LEVEL WAGES!!!... with the BILLIONS upon BILLIONS they make in profits that is only the beginning of what they could do!!

OUTRAGE... DO I HEAR OUTRAGE??????

Dave The Dov

Post by Dave The Dov » June 5th, 2005, 6:26 am

Where is David to slay this corporate Goliath????
Last edited by Dave The Dov on March 13th, 2009, 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Whitebird Sings

Post by Whitebird Sings » June 5th, 2005, 9:33 am

...each one of us is David.

standing with an army
it is up to the one
to step out
take what I have
in my hands
and with courage
and a stout heart
toss it at the enemy
for all others to see