growing anti-American sentiment -- written by a Canadian

Firsthand accounts from members around the world.
Whitebird Sings

growing anti-American sentiment -- written by a Canadian

Post by Whitebird Sings » May 14th, 2005, 11:00 am

For months I have been reading about the growing "anti-American sentiment".

This morning I awoke to news story after news story of reactions around the world to the burning of the Koran at Guantanamo.

I am sickened and deplore what is happening in Iraq and Afghanistan in the name of "pre-emptive self-defense" as Colin Powell told the UN in February. I am sickened and deplore reports that people suspected of being terrorists are deported to countries like Egypt (often not their home country) where they are tortured... I could go on and on and on... I could go on and on...

Having said this, I do NOT and neither do most Canadians have anti-American sentiment... those who think and feel as I do, have anti-Bush administration sentiment!

We separate the people from the politics. We separate the people from the corpocracy that feeds and drives the wars that are waged on this planet...

When the towers were hit on 9/11... I felt no different than if they were on Canadian soil... I called my children immediately and we wept in horror... I stood with my staff and watched the newsreports that morning in the board room, and we held each other and wept... It was the same for most Canadians.

In the hours, days and weeks following many of us responded in any way we could... some driving to New York and working at ground zero... others of us organizing at this end -- sending whatever was needed -- including money -- to help those we consider our brothers and sisters... (in some cases they were).

These actions reflect how we feel about the American people... THAT is our sentiment...

When the report came through about Marla being killed... my friends and I talked about how SHE epitomized the Americans we know and love... friends, family and colleagues... people that do not savour war and torture...

I believe Marla represented the heart of the American people -- as she worked on the ground and gave her life for the people of Iraq and Afghanistan... the heart of the Canadian people beats the same way.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0, ... 29,00.html

http://www.civicworldwide.org/index.html

I am Canadian... and I wanted you to know.

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » May 14th, 2005, 11:14 am

Nice read, Whitebird... I trust most of us feel the same about U.S. (our) current administration... at least 50% anyway.

It hasn't been implemented, and probably never will, but there is another way of fighting terrorism (with terrorism breeding even more terrorism), and the U.S. has (had?) abundant resources to do the alternative - 'fight' with a peaceful heart and not a re-vengeful mind, something I cannot see Bush ever doing.

Thumbs up to your country for not participating in the revenge!

Cecil

Whitebird Sings

Post by Whitebird Sings » May 14th, 2005, 5:25 pm

HIGH 5 Cecil!!!

...who knows, some day we may find ourselves marching side by side... ;)

{{{{hugs}}}}

WB

Return to “Eyewitness Reports”