and then there is Iraq

Firsthand accounts from members around the world.
Whitebird Sings

and then there is Iraq

Post by Whitebird Sings » May 26th, 2005, 11:21 am

And we also care deeply about the plight of the peoples of Iraq... ~ WB

Baghdad's Polluted Water Makes Children Sick With Cholera
By Nasir Kadhim and Salam Nasir

BAGHDAD, Iraq, May 25, 2005 (ENS) - Cholera is spreading in Baghdad’s impoverished al-Amil quarter where overcrowding and contaminated water are leading to fears of an epidemic. City officials blame insurgent attacks on infrastructure for the outbreak in southwest Baghdad.

Children have so far been the worse affected, with one doctor at a Baghdad hospital saying he is now seeing young cholera patients on a daily basis.

Nadia Shawkat was in line at the Central Children’s Hospital waiting for a doctor to treat her daughter.

“My only baby girl has cholera, and the reason is water pollution, as the physician confirmed,” she said.

To prevent a further outbreak, Imad Hassoon, a pediatrician at the Central Children’s Hospital, has been advising parents to keep their children off the streets.

But in this poor and crowded area of southwestern Baghdad, children like four year old Allawi continue to play around stagnant pools of dirty water, despite the danger.

“We don’t care about this dirt and water any more because we've got used to it,” he said.

Residents have complained about the health problems, urging city officials to do a better job maintaining water pipelines and sewer systems.

Doctors told Hamza Rasheed that his three year old son got cholera from polluted tap water, but his complaints to the municipality and the Baghdad governorate have been largely ignored.

“The situation has stayed as it was, with an increase in the number of children getting this disease,” Rasheed said.

Ali Salman, al-Qadisiyyah district’s water project manager, blamed insurgent attacks for Baghdad’s dirty water. He said that although large amounts of water are purified every day, the increase in attacks on distribution systems is having “a negative affect on the water quality.”

Truck driver Hatam Dawud used to transport chlorine and other water purification products from Basra to Baghdad, but the recent violence has prevented him from doing his work.

“Because a driver was killed on the road a month ago, now I don’t carry these materials,” he said.

Salman Jabir, an engineer in the water and sewage department of al-Amil, believes that if the security situation improves, so will the water supply.

“I wonder what water and the sewage system have to do with politics, the government and the U.S. forces?” he asked. “Why are the extremists preventing us from reconstructing our country for the sake of our innocent children?”

~ Published in cooperation with the Institute for War and Peace Reporting

http://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/may2005 ... -25-04.asp

Dave The Dov

Post by Dave The Dov » May 26th, 2005, 2:26 pm

Ahh yes good to see that the rebuilding effort is going well over there!!!!
Last edited by Dave The Dov on March 13th, 2009, 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Whitebird Sings

Post by Whitebird Sings » May 26th, 2005, 3:58 pm

Thanks Dave... well put!!!!

Do you know about this site? -->

Voices in the Wildnerness http://vitw.org/

It was founded by Kathy Kelly... Nobel Peace Prize nominee (I list a book she has written under the "book and... stuff list" thread)...

{{{HUGS}}}
WB

Whitebird Sings

Post by Whitebird Sings » May 26th, 2005, 4:02 pm

Courtcase: Summons from US Goverment
Wanted - for crimes of humanity

Voices in the Wilderness is being prosecuted by the US Treasury Department for the crime of exporting medicine to Iraq.

Trial on June 4, 2004 - Read the Press Release (May-28-04)
"Sanctions are not intended to harm the people of Iraq. That is why the sanctions regime has always specifically exempted food and medicine."

(U.S. State Department, March 2000)

"For whatever reason, people want to flout embargoes. The bottom line from our perspective is, for us, we enforce the law - and we will continue to do so aggressively."

Tony Fratto, Director of public affairs, US Treasury Department

The US Justice Department is suing Voices in the Wilderness to try to collect a fine of $20,000 for bringing medicines to the people of Iraq. Over the past eight years, Voices in the Wilderness has organized more than 72 delegations to Iraq made up of teachers, veterans, social workers, artists, health care professionals, trades people and people of faith. Many of these delegates carried symbolic amounts of medicine as an act of civil disobedience against the injustice of the economic sanctions; they then returned to the United States to tell about the brutalizing effects of the sanctions, magnified by the US bombing of the Iraqi civilian infrastructure during last 13 years. Voices in the Wiilderness will nonviolently resist all payments, fines, taxes, and laws that perpetuate war and restrict our rights. We will continue to send medicine and relief to Iraq, as a still devastated infrastructure denies the basic human rights of Iraqis, an infrastructure the US systematically destroyed through sanctions, bombing, and occupation.

Selective Prosecution: 265 years in prison
August 20, 2004 | category: Summons
Doctor May Get Life for Violating Iraq Sanctions

by Madeleine Baran
The NewStandard
August 19, 2004

In the eighteen months since central New York oncologist Rafil Dhafir was arrested and charged with violating the U.S. embargo against Iraq, he has been sitting in a Syracuse jail, ignored by most of the national media, as prosecutors continue to add charges threatening him with a maximum sentence of almost 300 years in prison.

FOR THE REST OF THE STORY AND MORE: http://vitw.org/courtcase/

Whitebird Sings

Post by Whitebird Sings » May 26th, 2005, 4:05 pm

July 11, 2004 | category: Summons
A letter from Tom Cahill to OFAC, July 7, 2004

(SEE: http://vitw.org/courtcase/ )

David H. Harmon
Chief, Enforcement Division
Office of Foreign Assets Control
US Department of the Treasury
1500 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW (Annex)
Washington, DC 20220

July 7, 2004

Dear Mr. Harmon,

This is to inform you I was a peace volunteer in Iraq last year from February 19 to March 30, 2003. I traveled there without a license from your office.

This is not a confession; it is a denouncement of you, your office and the entire United States Government for the following:

(1) The war on Iraq from 1991 to present.

(2) Sanctions against Iraq responsible for the deaths of many tens of thousands of Iraqi children of low income families due to lack of medicine for their illnesses that include those due to radiation from depleted uranium munitions dropped or fired on Iraq from 1991 to the present.

(3) Singling out for punishment Faith J. Fippinger of Sarasota, Florida, from among the dozens of us American peace volunteers in Iraq last year.

(4) The utter hypocrisy of punishing one, elderly and frail, woman peace volunteer and using fear of Iraq to extort money from taxpayers to pay defense contractors such as Halliburton, Bechtel, Kellog, Brown and Root and others that kick-back heavily to the Republican Party. Not one of us peace volunteers profited financially from our stay in Iraq while some U.S. firms are receiving corporate welfare for questionable work in Iraq.

Proof of my time in Iraq is enclosed. So come and get me! But send your enforcers at a civilized time between 9 AM and 8 PM or they just might get a pail of cold water splashed on them. I’m a cranky old man before I fully awake and after my bedtime. Since I live on the edge of wilderness, upon request I’ll send you a map to the barn in which I live.

Most sincerely,

Tom Cahill
PO Box 632
Fort Bragg, CA 95437

Dave The Dov

Post by Dave The Dov » May 26th, 2005, 4:10 pm

I work at a TV station. So I'm seeing stuff like this almost all the time. Yeah my country tis of thee!!!! Give my a break!!!! Yeah we're really helping them along over there!!!! Just another Vietnam for America!!!! It's not about the "Freedom" for that country!!!! It's about something that is hidden but really it's not hidden. It's more like my country choosing to be ignorant and thinking that it should follow the leader blindly where ever he may go!!!!

IT'S NOT A WAR AGAINST TERORRISM!!!! IT'S FOR A WAR OF REVENGE AT REGAINING OUR SELFISH AMERICAN COMPLICACY IN THIS WORLD INSTEAD!!!!
Last edited by Dave The Dov on March 13th, 2009, 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Whitebird Sings

Post by Whitebird Sings » May 26th, 2005, 4:56 pm

Dave... while I'd like to hold my head "way high" and say -- "Not us Canadians... we are peace loving people who work hard for human rights"... my people are too often complicit because they are complacent... too many of us are the "not yet affected" brand -- they don't get the connection between themselves and the rest of the human race!!... let alone say, oh, the environment!!

Re the news we receive in the West... I have a dear friend in Birmingham (a former Univ prof) who tells me of the sorry state of broadcasting that "you all" have to contend with -- I must admit that it's most definitely even more "white-washed" than here!... THANK GOD for the internet and the courage of journalists who report for alternative news sources -- like Kathy Kelly and hundreds more who risk their life and liberty so that we know the truth... in the hope that we will take collective action.

As for Vietnam, I had dinner last night with some colleagues -- university professors -- among them, one currently teaching in Arizona, the other currently teaching at the University where I have been teaching -- but until recently, he was in Minnesota... BOTH talked to me about the re-writing of the Vietnam war... I can't remember now the phrase they used... I will ask again... and come back here -- but it is a gross manipulation of history... all for the sake of the war machine of course!

GOD BLESS AMERICANS like you Dave -- you have a heavy burden to bear as you cry out in what sometimes must seem like the wilderness... (been there!)

Namaste
WB

Dave The Dov

Post by Dave The Dov » May 26th, 2005, 6:21 pm

Gassho to you Whitebird Sings!!!!

Whitebird Sings

Post by Whitebird Sings » May 26th, 2005, 7:02 pm

I receive your gesture with humility Dave.
Thank you for your blessing.

And in turn I say to you,
may you find Anshin because you have found Ritsumei

May your feet always lead you in the direction of your heart.

Dohiya Kind Spirit
Dohiya Kindred Spirit
So it is.
WB

Whitebird Sings

Post by Whitebird Sings » June 9th, 2005, 10:31 am

A civilized nation 'teaches' barbarism to Iraq

>by Ghazwan Al-Mukhtar
June 7, 2005

I do not blame the American people for not knowing what atrocities are being committed in their name. I watch U.S. network news so I know Americans are not told what is really going on in Iraq.

Many historians consider Iraq to be the cradle of civilization. It was in Iraq that writing was invented. It was in Iraq that the great Hammurabi's Code of Laws was first engraved. Iraq was the birthplace of Abraham, father of the Jews and the Arabs.

The territory now called Iraq was the centre of the greatest powers of the day. At other times it was conquered by Alexander the Great, ravaged by the Mongols and dominated by empires based in Persia, Turkey, Britain and now the United States.

One of the first acts of the American occupation authorities in Iraq was the destruction of the tomb of Michael Aflaq, an Arab nationalist philosopher and a founder of the Arab Baath party which ruled Iraq. This savage act was totally unwarranted and unjustified. It reminds us of the barbaric actions of the Mongols centuries ago. Regrettably this 21st century barbarism is practiced in the name of “freedom,” “democracy,” “liberation” and “human rights.” What makes this barbaric action even worse is that it is done by an “elected” government which tells the world that its actions are taken in the name of the American people.

I do not blame the American people for not knowing what atrocities are being committed in their name. I watch U.S. network news so I know Americans are not told what is really going on in Iraq.

During World War I (1914-1919) the British army fought military battles with the Ottoman (Turkish) armies that were stationed in Iraq. Many thousands were killed and buried in Iraq from both sides.

We have British cemeteries in Basra, Kut and in Baghdad where approximately 54,000 Commonwealth troops are buried. We have a cemetery for the Indian soldiers who fought with the British army. We also have the Turkish cemetery in Baghdad.

For over 90 years since the establishment of these cemeteries the Iraqi governments and the Iraqi people respected the sanctity of these graves. In those 90 years, Baghdad expanded so much that these cemeteries became prime property and were obstructing the full development of badly needed projects. Despite this, the government of Iraq respected its humanitarian obligation to protect these cemeteries.

In fact, in April 2002, a year before the attack on Iraq, the Iraqi government approved the restoration of the Australian cemetery despite all the problems of the first Gulf War and the 12 years of sanctions.

Peter Francis, of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission, said: “The (Iraqis) said that the government of Iraq attached great importance to the longstanding War Graves Agreements between it and the commission and that it was ready to provide whatever assistance the commission required to carry out its work in Iraq.”

Our 7000 years of history and civilization have taught us to respect the sanctity of death and a respect to the graves of dead people irrespective of whether they are natives, occupiers or enemy soldiers. These values are shared with other civilized people around the world.

Jon Lee Anderson wrote in the New Yorker about a visit he had to the British cemetery in Baghdad days before the American invasion. His last paragraph was, “As we were walking out of the cemetery, we passed an obelisk with the inscription 'Here are the honoured Turkish soldiers who fell for their country in the Great War, 1914-1918.' When I pointed this out to Khalid, he seemed confused, and I explained that the obelisk had been erected by the British to honour their enemies. He smirked. 'So, the British have honour!' he said, and he walked away, then turned back. 'Maybe they will do the same for us, after they have killed us. Thank you very much.'”

I hate to disappoint my friend Khalid. The American army did not respect nor honour the Iraqi soldiers who died fighting for their country. They let them rot in the streets. The Americans did not allow the Red Cross to enter Fallujah for days after their “liberation” of the city. Dead people were left to rot in the ruins of their houses without burying them or moving them to a mortuary.

The American administrator for Iraq, L. Paul Bremer elected to “teach” the Iraqis his set of values. He justified leveling “the tomb to earth” by his desire to “eradicate the Baath party.” His barbaric action and “cowboy” mentality is so strange to the civilized world and would not even be accepted in his own “wild wild west.” It is by any standard and for any reason a barbaric act.

Ghazwan Al-Mukhtar is a medical engineer living in occupied Baghdad. You can comment on this column by visiting his blogspot on DemocracyRising.US.

Whitebird Sings

Post by Whitebird Sings » June 9th, 2005, 10:54 am

USA WAR RESISTERS NEED CANADIAN SUPPORT

from: http://www.oneworld.ca/external/?url=ht ... _apr05.htm

Imagine a slight pretty young woman pointing a machine gun at terrified women and children, lying on their stomachs on the floor. A scene from a Hollywood movie about druggies and gangsters? NO!

This is the real world of Iraq. The young woman looks into the eyes of her captives and sees their fear and hatred. She begins to realize that these are the people she was told she came to help. When the Colorado National Guard recruiters came to her school, 8 years ago, they persuaded Kelly Dougherty (in photo) that she could serve her country in domestic disasters like floods and earthquakes. In a recent speech in Victoria, Kelly, now 26 years old, says these recruiters are very persuasive and persistent – particularly in schools in low income and poor areas of the USA. The National Guard offers a chance for paid higher education to these kids who otherwise might not afford to go to university. Kelly served in Bosnia in the military police; she was a medic when she was in the USA. In 2003 she was sent to Iraq – again to be in the military police for 10 months.

When it was a quiet day at her post in Nasariya, near Baghdad, the commander would say, “I guess it’s time to raid some houses”. So off the armed police would go and storm into some family’s home. Without Arabic translators, the police just gestured and yelled in English: Women and children onto the floor. Men were arrested and taken to detention. Kelly was told they would be spoken to in Arabic there, and would have a chance to explain themselves. She learned that did not happen; the detention prisons just keep filling up. She says that torture is not confined to one prison or one time; it is universal in USA military jails in Iraq.

The other job the military police did was guard transport vehicles that were stopped or broken down. These were all owned by the Halliburton Co. (VP Dick Cheney’s outfit) and they carried medical supplies, fuel, equipment, and food from Basra. They often killed people and animals. Kelly recalled seeing a flattened goat herd, a child, run over with his goats on the road, wondering again why was she there? The police had to protect the trucks from Iraqis who gathered around to see if they could get something. After a few hours, the police were often ordered to blow up and burn the loaded vehicles rather than let “the Iraqi looters” benefit.

Kelly came home sick of the war and left the military. She said she was opposed to the war before she went to Iraq, but thought that they would do some good for the people after the war. She believes now that this war of occupation is violent and perpetuates violence. She said the USA must withdraw its military. Leaving Iraq to the Iraqis would be less violent and is also the right thing to do. Kelly also knows the war is based on lies; it was always intended to serve corporate oil interests.

She says, “I believe that no true democracy or freedom can occur in Iraq as long as the US military is occupying the country." She also states that the war is bleeding people and communities in the USA as public services are cut to support the war of that debt-ridden nation to the south. She is not alone in her beliefs; Kelly says most soldiers stationed in Iraq want to leave, knowing they have no right or purpose to be there.

USA does not treat its veterans well either, she says. Returned soldiers who are sick or suffering from radiation illness from the hundreds of tons of ‘depleted uranium’ used in Iraq are not helped and their sickness is often not recognized. After her discharge, Kelly helped found the Iraqi Veterans Against the War, all of whose members are veterans who have served in the US military since 9/11 and oppose the US war in Iraq.

Since her discharge Kelly has joined the growing number of veterans who speak out against the war. She also speaks in high schools to counter the recruitment tactics of the military, telling her personal real-life stories of the war in Iraq. She and many activists mourn the victims of Bush administration policies: Iraqi casualties, U.S. soldiers in Iraq, people targeted by the “war on terrorism,” as well as those whom the economy has left unemployed, uninsured, and worse-off than four years before.

During her service in Iraq, Kelly Dougherty saw the United States “treat Iraqis like trespassers in their own country.” She accuses the Bush administration of “perverting people’s sense of patriotism for their own greedy means.”

While she was in Victoria and Vancouver, Kelly called on Canadians whom she respects for staying out of the war (not that we stopped selling arms or uranium to the USA to use in Iraq) and asked us to support USA war resisters. Her call is joined by that of Tom Hayden, a political activist for decades and 18-year member of the California Assembly and Senate.

Hayden was recently in Canada, also, meeting with activists and politicians in Ottawa. He says, “Thousands of troops are refusing to fight Bush's war in Iraq. These are young people who volunteered to defend their country thinking it was under attack, but now they realize this war is not about defending America -- it is about fulfilling the unbridled ambition of the Bush administration”.

He was accompanied to Canada by Celeste Zappala. A year ago, Celeste's son, Sherwood Baker, was killed in action in Baghdad. Sherwood is one of more than 1,500 soldiers who have died fighting in the Bush administration's illegal invasion of Iraq and defending its illegal occupation.

Hayden called on Canadians, “Together, Celeste and I are going to ask for Canadians' help in ending this madness in Iraq. During America's darkest moments, Canada has provided a sanctuary for young men and women who refuse to fight Washington's wars. It is becoming clear that Canada is once again needed to play that role. I think the Bush administration cares very little about these soldiers' lives. Ill-prepared and under-equipped, soldiers in Iraq are left to scavenge through garbage for scraps of bullet-proof armour plating to protect their trucks from attacks. When they have finished their tour, the military can arbitrarily extend it for a second and even third tour of duty. This places untold hardship on soldiers, their spouses and their families. As a result, 6,000 soldiers have deserted the U.S. military.”

He told Canadians that, “The Bush administration is forcing public schools to hand over their lists of students' names and phone numbers to military recruiters. In some cases, high school students have been offered $5,000 to quite literally sign their lives away to military recruiters. Perhaps because of the pressure, or a guilty conscience, 37 recruiters have deserted the military too.”

The desperate USA Empire is also scouring its vassal states for troops. Richard Hill writes in the May, 2005 issue of New Internationalist that the single largest ethnic group in the USA military are Mexicans and Mexican descendents. There are also Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Central Americans and Ecuadorians. Many join because they are promised green cards and a possibility of USA citizenship and other benefits. One-third of USA troops in Iraq are non-citizens.

A friend in Uganda wrote in a recent letter that many young graduates have just left for Iraq to fight along side the USA army for money and that someone (a Ugandan) with connections with some people in the UK and the US last month was convincing these jobless Ugandans that there are opportunities for them to earn a living by fighting in IRAQ. He was interviewed on BBC and he said that Iraq is not as bad as it sounds and that the death figures for civilians and those in the forces are not as big as reported in the press! She concluded by saying: It is really sad that we are resorting to kill others to earn a living!

Green Left Weekly, June 1, 2005 of Australia reports that: Throughout May, 10,000 Ugandans will be recruited to work as “security personnel” in Iraq, and US military bases worldwide. The recruitment effort is spearheaded by World Wide Special Operations, who work with multinationals and governments to provide mercenaries where needed. Sources told the Kampala Monitor that the recruitment exercise had been approved by the US State Department, which has close ties to the Ugandan government. The local law firm doing the recruiting for WWSO has emphasised that the youths will not be in “combat” roles but “guard” duties, and some secretarial work. Local MP Aggrey Awori described the exercise as “tragic”, asking: “How do you provide only guard services in a country like Iraq? These people will shoot back when shot at.” Iraq has an unemployment rate of 75%.

USA war resisters want us to appeal to Prime Minister Paul Martin, urging him to allow U.S. soldiers to enter Canada if they request permission to do so. A large group of USA public figures including activists, academics, media people, and religious leaders, have signed a letter appealing to the people and politicians of Canada to offer sanctuary to USA resisters facing threats and prosecution, as we did during the Vietnam War. Hayden says they hope for a similar solidarity once again. See: www.ceasefire.ca for details.

What many of us know in our minds was brought home to our hearts by the personal evidence of this remarkable young woman, Kelly Dougherty. Her story should be heard by every person, anywhere, who still thinks that war in Iraq is about democracy and anti-terrorism.

Canada benefits from the wars of the USA. A first step to ending this immorality would be to welcome war resisters to Canada and to support their work to end this terrible tyranny and destruction of a society, its people, its environment and its independence. The eyes of those women and children lying on the floor are also on us.

[no author cited -- see link at the beginning of the post]

Whitebird Sings

Post by Whitebird Sings » June 13th, 2005, 8:56 am

Journalist freed five months after kidnapping

Last Updated Sun, 12 Jun 2005 16:42:05 EDT
CBC News

A French journalist and her Iraqi assistant have been released after being held hostage for five months.

Florence Aubenas, a reporter for the daily Libération, and her interpreter and guide, Hussein Hanoun, are in good health, France's foreign minister said.

Aubenas, 44, arrived at an airstrip west of Paris Sunday aboard a plane chartered by the French government.

President Jacques Chirac greeted Aubenas with a kiss on the cheek after she landed in Villacoublay.

She hugged her family then told reporters that she had been tied up and blindfolded in a cellar for months.

The journalist, who appeared relaxed and made jokes, said her captors had untied her recently and let her watch French television networks. She said she was very moved to see that a ticker on the news program was still counting off her days of captivity – then at 140.

"You're so happy to see that, when you're all crouched over on the ground," she said. "That's why it was so important to me to thank absolutely everybody here."
[You see how important it is... that they know they we continue to remember them -- as they are held -- WE MUST CONTINUE TO PRAY FOR ALL OTHERS... to keep each other informed of what we know... ]

In Baghdad, more than 60 friends and relatives gathered to hug and kiss Hanoun, throwing a huge feast in his honour.

The two went missing after leaving their Baghdad hotel on the morning of Jan. 5.

There had been little word of their fate, just a video of the journalist released in March by the group claiming to hold the pair. Looking distraught, Aubenas pleaded for help. [I did not know about these two... ]

Before Aubenas landed, French Ambassador Bernard Bajolet described her as "thinner but surprisingly vivacious and smiling."
"She got through this ordeal with exceptional courage," he said.

About 150 foreigners have been kidnapped in Iraq, but many more Iraqis have been held captive.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/ ... 50612.html

We continue to pray for the peoples of Iraq and those who stand with them... dohiya.
WB

Return to “Eyewitness Reports”