a letter to my friend

Firsthand accounts from members around the world.
Whitebird Sings

a letter to my friend

Post by Whitebird Sings » May 27th, 2005, 9:12 am

Dear Ash,

I just read a news report of a suicide bombing in Islamabad. I am not sure how close you are to that City, but I am praying for the safety of you and your family and friends.

I am also praying for those who have died and were injured and their families. In the news report I read, there was a young boy being carried from the shrine who had been physically injured... But I also think of the injuries to his soul -- how he would look upon me if he saw my blonde hair and blue eyes -- how this experience and others he has make him believe that the people in the West are monsters.

Ash, it is so important for people like us to change the world through our friendship... through collective action. We must not allow those terrible greedy souls who are in power with their war machines, control us by having us hate each other.

We are all sisters and brothers, and the best way for us to defeat the REAL enemy is for us to love one another despite what they would have us believe about each other.

Blessings Ash,
Namaste and Dohiya (peace)
Your friend,
Janette (Whitebird Sings)

Whitebird Sings

Post by Whitebird Sings » May 27th, 2005, 9:17 am

19 killed in Islamabad shrine bombing
Last Updated Fri, 27 May 2005 08:25:57 EDT
CBC News

ISLAMABAD, PAKISTAN - At least 19 people were killed and dozens injured Friday in a suicide bombing at a Muslim shrine near Islamabad, according to witnesses.

Hundreds of Shia Muslims were gathered at the Bari Imam shrine located on the outskirts of Islamabad and about one kilometre from the official residence of Pakistani Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz.

They were taking part in a five-day religious festival when the blast occurred.

The bomb reportedly exploded inside the shrine, a police officer said.

Following the blast, hundreds of worshippers staged angry protests and clashed with police when officers charged the crowd with batons. Many also chanted, "Down with America!"

The suicide bomber was reportedly dressed as a police officer and walked inside the shrine. One worshipper who was injured in the blast told the Associated Press that police at the shrine tried to stop the man but failed.

The motive for the attack was not known.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/ ... 50527.html

Return to “Eyewitness Reports”