After Israel has left Gaza - (yikes)

Firsthand accounts from members around the world.
judih
Site Admin

After Israel has left Gaza - (yikes)

Post by judih » September 15th, 2005, 11:45 pm

As you may know, Israeli residents and troops left the Gaza settlements last week.

Now, what will happen as Gazans utilize that strip of land?
Well, aside from establishing neighbourhoods and tourist communities, there's a small problem in the works:

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/625808.html

Gaza sewage could cripple desalination facility

By Ze'ev Schiff, Haaretz Correspondent

If the Palestinians go ahead with building a sewage pipe from the Gaza Strip to the sea, this could cripple the new desalination plant near Ashekelon.

The plant, planned to desalinate 100 million cubic meters of water annually, is due to be inaugurated at the end of the month.

A Water Commission report warns that "if the Ashkelon desalination plant is crippled due to the sewage flowing from the Gaza Strip into the sea, the outcome would be intolerable for Israel's water sector. Any attempt to lay a pipeline to drain sewage into the sea must be physically stopped." The report says that in addition to the damage caused by putting the plant out of business, the sewage would pollute Israel's beaches.

(Not a pretty thought.)

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » September 15th, 2005, 11:49 pm

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/625525.html

Palestinians: Hundreds cross breached Gaza-Egypt border

By Aluf Benn and Amos Harel, Haaretz Correspondents, and Reuters

Palestinians punched a new hole in a border wall between Gaza and Egypt on Thursday and hundreds of civilians streamed across, defying efforts by officials to plug gaps in the frontier, witnesses said.

Palestinian police stood by as about 50 gunmen from Hamas and the Palestinian Resistance Committees rammed a dump truck into the cement wall, knocking down several large slabs.

The incident came hours after the Palestinian Authority pledged to take steps to shut the Gaza frontier, breached after Israel handed over its former Jewish settlements in southern Gaza to the Palestinians on Monday.

(judih notes: but it's not just sheep)

Struggling to impose order after the Israeli withdrawal, the Palestinian Authority acknowledged some light arms had been smuggled into Gaza and said the border would be shut on Friday.

Israeli media reports said the army may move troops to buffer the long-quiet border with Egypt, alarmed that Palestinian militants might find it easier to bring in weapons without an Israeli military presence on the border.

Israel "cannot accept a continued situation where the border will be entirely porous. What is happening in Gaza in recent days is complete anarchy," Foreign Minister Silvan Shalom told Army Radio.

Senior Israel Defense Forces officials said Thursday night that the Egyptian police force deployed along the Philadelphi route at Rafah are reducing the illegal flow of people and goods across the Gaza strip border with Egypt.

Egyptian Foreign Minister Ahmed Aboul Gheit told Haaretz on Thursday evening that Egypt has now closed its border with the Gaza Strip, ending almost four days of free passage in both directions.

Speaking on the sidelines of the United Nations summit in New York, Gheit added that he was convinced that the patrols at the border would operate properly from now on.

On Thursday, 23 Palestinians who crossed from Gaza into Sinai and then into southern Israel were arrested.

(judih offers this without comment - repercussions are painfully close)

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » September 17th, 2005, 2:05 am

The green houses left behind were looted and destroyed. Such a pity.

I remember when I worked as a chemist, the joke was we were working on a cheap synthetic substitute for water. Dire predictions of what will happen when the oil runs out. Hardly anybody mentions water. Plenty of water but we keep pissing in the stream. We have the best government money can buy over here. The Chemical Manufactures Association a powerful lobby. Not much news about atrazine and deformed frogs anymore. Our water here a cocktail of toxic chemicals. Meanwhile in the beautiful city of Washington, with wide stately boulevards and Marble buildings, kids in poor neighborhoods get their water from lead pipes. Oh well.

Man I keep hoping things will work out. But so much double talk, Arab diplomat on radio asked if he condems terrorism, "Absolutely" he says but then he adds, "However"

I can not understand what was so important about Sharon having to visit the Temple Mount a few years ago. They say that is what set off this latest round of violence. But I don't remember that the violence has ever stopped. We got so many wacko preachers over here rationalizing their hatred as support for Israel. I finally stoped watching because I got so upset. The latest joke about Pat Robertson and Chavez is, WWJW. Who would Jesus Wack?

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » September 17th, 2005, 2:18 am

Photo Gallery of army's exit

Just because:

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/623944.html

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » September 20th, 2005, 2:49 pm

http://www.ussliberty.org/g/libertyd13a.jpg
Chorus:
I used to sleep at the foot of old glory
And awake in the dawn’s early light
But much to my surprise
When I opened my eyes
I was a victim of the great compromise
---john prine

Flags kind of depress me these days no matter what is on them. Reminds me of the Mel Brooks/Carl Reiner album
Carl Reiner and Mel Brooks
The 2000 Year Old Man in the Year 2000 (Rhino)

Brooks told us history's first national anthem ("Let 'em all go to hell/ Except Cave 76")http://citypaper.net/articles/112097/dq9.shtml
Your Flag Decal Won't Get You Into Heaven Anymore
© John Prine

While digesting Reader's Digest
In the back of a dirty book store,
A plastic flag, with gum on the back,
Fell out on the floor.
Well, I picked it up and I ran outside
Slapped it on my window shield,
And if I could see old Betsy Ross
I'd tell her how good I feel.

Chorus:
But your flag decal won't get you
Into Heaven any more.
They're already overcrowded
From your dirty little war.
Now Jesus don't like killin'
No matter what the reason's for,
And your flag decal won't get you
Into Heaven any more.

Well, I went to the bank this morning
And the cashier he said to me,
"If you join the Christmas club
We'll give you ten of them flags for free."
Well, I didn't mess around a bit
I took him up on what he said.
And I stuck them stickers all over my car
And one on my wife's forehead.

Repeat Chorus:

Well, I got my window shield so filled
With flags I couldn't see.
So, I ran the car upside a curb
And right into a tree.
By the time they got a doctor down
I was already dead.
And I'll never understand why the man
Standing in the Pearly Gates said...

"But your flag decal won't get you
Into Heaven any more.
We're already overcrowded
From your dirty little war.
Now Jesus don't like killin'
No matter what the reason's for,
And your flag decal won't get you
Into Heaven any more."

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » September 20th, 2005, 9:27 pm

whimsicaldeb

Post by whimsicaldeb » September 24th, 2005, 2:16 pm

Judih ... fyi ...
Just received and was reading the current issue of Smithsonian (October 2005) and in their article "The Dying of the Dead Sea" they go into some detail about the issues - the raw sewage, water treatment, desalination, and water usage problems. The article is long but well worth reading. I’m just sorry you don’t get to see the photos that go with the article. I bet you are familiar with the Kibbutzs (plural spelling?) that are mentioned throughout. As an environmentalist ... I say best of luck to all involved! -- Deb

http://www.smithsonianmag.si.edu/smiths ... adsea.html

The Dying of the Dead Sea

Israelis, Palestinians and Jordanians are joining forces to try and save the evaporating salt lake, a looming catastrophe, before it’s too late - By Joshua Hammer

The ancient salt sea is the site of a looming environmental catastrophe

On a sweltering August afternoon, Israeli environmental activist Gidon Bromberg stops abruptly beside a gaping crater, more than 60 feet deep. "Better not walk any farther," he warns. "The ground could swallow us whole."

Up and down the Dead Sea, on the Jordanian and Israeli coasts, the shoreline is pockmarked by these sinkholes. The Dead Sea is shrinking, and as it recedes, the fresh water aquifers along the perimeter of the lake are receding with it. Salt deposits beneath the surface of the shoreline are collapsing without warning.

Bromberg directs Friends of the Earth Middle East, the most active of several environmental groups working to galvanize concern for the dying sea. With a staff of Israelis, Palestinians and Jordanians, the environmentalists want to pressure the region's governments to reform what they call "shortsighted" water policies they say have been sucking dry the Dead Sea—and the rivers, particularly the Jordan, and streams that feed it—for decades.

Some progress, Bromberg says, has been made. "We've gone from a point, five years ago, where nobody except environmentalists cared about the fate of the Dead Sea, to a point where all three governments recognize they have to rehabilitate it." Yet a huge obstacle remains: "When it comes to stopping the diversion of all the water of the Jordan River, there has been zero progress."

---end article excerpt (above link)
Continues in PDF format

http://www.smithsonianmag.si.edu/smiths ... eadsea.pdf

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » September 24th, 2005, 3:11 pm

yes - the national water pipeline ciphons water from the Jordan river to the rest of the country. Without that water supply, there is no water. So the Dead Sea has been robbed for all these years.

What's the solution? ship the hurricane floods from New Orleans to the Dead Sea. Or a tsunami in the Mediterranean would flood the desert (including my kibbutz) and fill up the Dead Sea. Just two options off the top of my head.

What will happen?
who knows.

thanks, deb for bringing up this issue.

The Dead Sea is a fantastic natural wonder. May some way be found to refill it.

j

whimsicaldeb

Post by whimsicaldeb » September 24th, 2005, 3:19 pm

Ohhhhhhhhhhh.....

J ~ your posting time!
Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:11 am

Ummmmmmmmmmmm!!!
:D

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » September 24th, 2005, 10:21 pm

yes, it's been happening a lot but not 11:11.
For me, it's been a lot of 7:07, 10:10.

Woke up at 2:30 a.m. last night from the sound of a bomb blast. There've been qassam rockets flying from Gaza into Israel and it was happening all day Saturday. Our son was 20 feet from one that landed in another kibbutz.

When they hit land, there's a huge boom, but damage is nil unless they're spot on target. Luckily for our son, the bomb landed about a foot from someone's house (a friend of mine) and buried itself into the ground. Some shrapnel flicked into a wall, with almost no damage.

35 Qassam rockets fell into Israel yesterday and here's the response of our neighbouring municipality.

Sderot municipality to shut down schools after Qassam attacks

By Nir Hasson, Haaretz Correspondent, Haaretz Service and The Associated Press

The Sderot municipality and the Sha'ar Hanegev regional council announced Saturday night its plans to suspend school on Sunday due to the deteriorating security situation. In addition, the city-run market will not be operating in its regular capacity.

In an official statement, the municipality said the closures are the result of the security assessments that were passed onto Sderot mayor Eli Moyal during a meeting with heads of the defense establishment. Municipality heads will reconvene on Sunday to decide on further steps.

Three Qassam rockets landed in Sderot on Saturday afternoon, injuring four people.

The casualties in the Qassam attack on Sderot were civil guard volunteers who were hurt by shrapnel, Israel Radio reported. One of them was moderately wounded, the others lightly. They were taken for treatment to Barzilai Medical Center in Ashkelon.

One Qassam fell next to a sports hall in the center of town. Others fell on a school, a factory and a residential building, none of which caused any injuries.

On Friday, Palestinians fired three Qassam rockets at Sderot. They landed in an open field and caused no injuries.

Hamas vows revenge after IAF raid
Hamas vowed revenge for a deadly Israel Air Force strike Saturday that killed four of its members, calling on its people to strike Israel "in every spot of our occupied land."

The group's military wing issued a statement declaring a state of alert in the West Bank and Gaza and urging its members to "take extreme caution and security measures."

The statement called on all "cells to respond to the crimes of the enemy and hit them in every spot of our occupied land ... to avenge the blood of our martyrs and teach [Israel] a lesson."

The Syria-based Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine's General Command also said said Saturday that its truce with Israel was over following the air strike.

The group denounced the missile attack as a "treacherous crime" that would not go unpunished.

"The truce is null and void," the group said in a statement, and called on Palestinians to continue their resistance and uprising.

Another Damascus-based group, the Democratic Front for the Liberation of Palestine, denounced Israel's missile strike as a "massacre" aimed at sabotaging internal Palestinian cohesion.

Palestinian Prime Minister Ahmed Qureia called on the international community, the Quartet and the U.S. to stop Israel Defense Forces activity in the Gaza Strip. He told reporters in Ramallah that the IAF attacks are very dangerous, and that Israel is continuing to encircle the Gaza Strip by massing large forces on its border.

Nabil Sha'ath, the deputy Palestinian prime minister, denounced the air strike as "an act of criminal aggression" and said it threatened to derail an already fragile cease-fire.

The IAF strike followed a meeting earlier Saturday between Defense Minister Shaul Mofaz, IDF Chief of Staff Lieutenant General Dan Halutz and Shin Bet chief Yuval Diskin regarding a broader arsenal of responses, during which it was decided to continue air strikes on Hamas and Islamic Jihad targets, focusing on the Qassam launching network.

Mofaz said that there must be a "crushing" Israeli response to the rocket attacks and ordered increased arrest operations against Hamas and Jihad militants in the West Bank.

The IDF said it "will continue to act with determination in order to defend the citizens of the state of Israel" and called on the Palestinian security forces to prevent further attacks from Gaza

link: http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/628599.html

Dave The Dov

Post by Dave The Dov » September 25th, 2005, 8:38 am

To quote the late Yitzak Rabin. "Enough"
Last edited by Dave The Dov on March 15th, 2009, 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

whimsicaldeb

Post by whimsicaldeb » September 25th, 2005, 11:02 am

May you all stay safe.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » September 25th, 2005, 11:10 am

Terror in the Name of God: Why Religious Militants Kill
Israel’s Next War

"I had been convinced for some time that Rabin's death was coming, that it had to come," Lerner continues. "I understand what motivated Yigal Amir [Rabin's murderer]. I am convinced that he felt that Yitzhak Rabin was putting the survival of the Jewish people in danger by his policies. There was no other way of removing Rabin from the gun he was pointing at the Jewish people. I'm ninety-nine percent positive that that's what he thought. Honestly, I can't argue with it."
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline ... ameof.html

I heard an Arab diplomat asked whether he condemded terrorist attatcks on innocent civilians. His answer was, "Absolutely. However...."

Sadat was murdred, Rabin was murdered

Blessed are the Peacemakers. image Who am I?
http://www.salsa.net/peace/faces/

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » September 26th, 2005, 10:46 pm

What's keeping me up at nights (or what's new on the home front)

Link: Ha'aretz, 5:47 a.m. Israel time
http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/629662.html

Last update - 05:18 27/09/2005

IAF helicopters fire missiles at three targets in the Gaza Strip

By Amos Harel, Haaretz Correspondent and News Agencies

Israel Air Force helicopters fired missiles at a series of targets throughout the Gaza Strip early Tuesday, causing some damage but no injuries, officials said.

The army said it attacked three access routes in northern Gaza used by Palestinian militants to fire rockets into Israel. Palestinian officials said one missile destroyed a bridge near the town of Beit Hanoun.

In Khan Yunis in the southern Gaza Strip, IAF helicopters fired two missiles.

Palestinian security officials said an office belonging to the ruling Fatah movement and a money-changing store were hit. The army said the money changer was a front for the Hamas militant group. Israel arrested the store's owner, Osama Bashiti, in July as he returned to Gaza from the United Arab Emirates, accusing him of funneling hundreds of thousands of dollars to a Hamas leader in Gaza.

Before dawn on Tuesday, two mortar shells fell in the south of the country. This incident also ended without casualties.

U.S. backs Israel as IDF continues Gaza air strikes
The United States on Monday backed Israel's military offensive against Hamas in Gaza, even though a Hamas leader has pledged to halt rocket attacks on Israel.

Clearly disbelieving the promise and denouncing Hamas as a terrorist group, U.S. State Department spokesman Sean McCormack said Hamas launched attacks on Israel after Hamas issued the statement.

"We understand the situation in which Israel finds itself," McCormack said. "And we fully understand Israel's right to defend itself."

On Monday, the IAF continued with the strikes in the Gaza Strip it started following the Qassam rocket barrage on Sderot on Saturday.

Also on Monday, Palestinians fired two Qassam rockets that landed in empty areas near Sderot and a mortar shell that landed in Moshav Netiv Ha'asara north of the Gaza Strip. There were no casualties.

Tens of thousands of mourners attended a mass funeral held by Islamic Jihad in Rafah on Monday for Mohammed Abdel Latif al-Sheikh Khalil, a senior officer of the organization who was slain by Israel in a targeting killing in Gaza on Sunday.

Islamic Jihad leaders threatened to avenge his death and blasted Hamas for undertaking to stop launching Qassam rockets at Israel. Apparently Hamas has kept its word and Islamic Jihad was behind Monday's shelling of the western Negev.

The popular resistance committees, a local Fatah branch that Khalil was also associated with, claimed responsibility for firing the mortar shell. Israel has not decided to halt the offensive in the Gaza Strip, despite Hamas' declaration to desist from launching rockets at Sderot.

Security sources said Israel intends to "take advantage of the momentum" and continue attacking Hamas. They did not rule out continuing the targeted killings. They said that if the fire from the Gaza Strip ceased, Israel would eventually stop its strikes.

The decision to continue the attacks was intended to make it clear to the terrorist organizations that Israel would respond harshly to fire on Sderot. The sources said Israel intended to set new rules for the post-disengagement era and prevent the armed organizations from shelling Israeli communities near the border every time there is tension with Israel.

Monday's aerial strikes were aimed at several targets, including Qassam launchers and roads in the launchz ones in the northern Gaza Strip. The air force also struck at munitions warehouses, mortar and Qassam workshops and offices belonging to Hamas, Fatah and the Popular Front.

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » September 26th, 2005, 10:53 pm

Map of the area.

If you can see Be'er Sheva on the right, and look left to the town of Ofaqim, keep looking left along the road and you'll see Nir Oz, just right of the Gaza strip.
Straight towards the sea is the Gazan town of Khan Yunis.

That's my area. My school is beside the kibbutz called Magen.

http://blog.lib.umn.edu/archives/mill19 ... _negev.jpg

Return to “Eyewitness Reports”