My first spied qassam

Firsthand accounts from members around the world.
judih
Site Admin

My first spied qassam

Post by judih » November 20th, 2006, 12:11 am

It was an eyewitness first. Walking to school yesterday (Sunday) morning, and I passed the fields watching the workers planting, or weeding or removing stones (not sure - cause I thought machines do most of that kind of thing), and suddenly I heard a Boom. There'd been no pre-whistle or any form of warning whatsoever - just a Boom. It's a dull thud without echo that constitutes the qassam sound and it was that.

A few minutes later, I saw grey smoke flowing upwards from the direction of the public school. The direction was clear but whether or not it was from the school or in a further place was impossible to tell until I continued about 7 minutes along the trail. (My daughter goes to that public school, so the 7 minutes were filled with imagined smells of dread).

When the school came into sight, I was quite happy to see it unsmoking and fully there. A minute later, I asked the guard who stands at the gate entrance checking out the school buses before they enter the High School territory. He said that the quassam landed somewhere between the public school and the local Community Center (the same one that hosted the Poetry Evening last Thursday).

He looked a little bemused: "First it's Sderot, and now it's Eshkol," he commented with a what-can-you-do half smile on his face. I reported back to G, on the kibbutz, that our daughter was safe.

Later on, I took a walk over to the area to see if I could find remnants of what I'd heard. No luck. The news broadcasted that it landed in an open field, no damage.

To my students, that morning, I told them that in the event of a next time, if there was any warning, we were to hit the floor, or take cover under desks, or at least go out into the protected hallway (One corridor has been reinforced with metal plating and if a person stays below the windows, there's a good chance for protection).

So that's the story. Our school is no longer out of reach. Hmmm, one tends to say. And staying alert has never been more important.

I couldn't find a map in English but this one shows where we are. The dark yellow area on the coast is the Gaza Strip. The lighter yellow to the east is our area (kibbutzim and our Municipality and Schools) and the white area was at one time considered 'safe' which is no longer is, but it seems that it's still the safest.

panta rhei

Post by panta rhei » November 21st, 2006, 9:09 am

this is not funny. it's much too real.
it's too much potentiality turned too concrete.
it's the usual fear come way too close to let it buzz in its normal background way of basic chords anymore.

the underlying bottom shade of the tune has been increased to highpitched tones of a more specific sound.

what else can you do but swallow that lump and clear your throat and sing out loud in a spontaneously, desperately invented second voice, hoping to strike the right note?

oh my.
hugs to you, dearest j.

be safe, all safe.

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » November 21st, 2006, 12:25 pm

thanks, a. i intend to stay safe and a little more meditation in the morning helps to allay fears. Worry doesn't add to alertness. Fear doesn't help. Staying relatively balanced is about the best i can hope for. i'm a terrible coward - so if things get ridiculous, i'll be outa here.

j

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » December 11th, 2007, 8:47 am

so the missile, or mortar came from gaza?
how often does this happen?

i wuld be more worried about the kids of course

is hamas helping with the internal security to slow down the numbers of incidents?

do the economic sanctions really help in this matter, or are the difficult times within gaza contributing to the level of frustration and striking out?

i have been mortared myself and pestled
nothing one can do
except wait
and duck

was there any retributive action taken?
is there any specific knowledge about where the missile/rocket/mortar came from and from what group?

as you know the more radical islamicists in algeria are bombing their own people

maybe it was not from hamas per se
and if so, are they helping to find out who was responsible?

if so, this would be a positive signal
Last edited by jimboloco on December 11th, 2007, 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
[color=darkcyan]i'm on a survival mission
yo ho ho an a bottle of rum om[/color]

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » December 11th, 2007, 8:51 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qassam_rocket

interesting

i had hoped that this was lessening
there has to be a way thru this impasse
it is certainly a striking out
a frustration that has no relevant prospect of accomplishing anything positive.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/796250/ro ... m_rockets/

video clip instructional

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » December 12th, 2007, 10:54 am

Well jim why do you think there are those ads in the miami papers for cheap land in the occupied territories?

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » December 12th, 2007, 12:41 pm

Hamas does not recognize Israel. They are not interested in stopping qassam attacks.
Yes, jim, the qassams are shot from Gaza.
Periodically, the Egyptians discover tunnels to Gaza for the smuggling of arms.
Yet, do not for a moment forget that peace is very much on our minds.
There is a huge underlying population that is working towards peace.
Yet the younger generation doesn't know much except continual stress. Kids in Sderot and neighbouring Netivot are functioning under continual stress since 2001.

Of course, there are ups and downs in the intensity of qassam attacks. Sometimes it's several attacks in a few hours. Sometimes it's quiet for a few days.

We're also aware that these qassams are being technologically improved constantly. Sometimes they hit areas previously considered beyond range. Since I am eyewitnessing here or reporting things that teachers in my school have experienced at home (they live near Sderot), I can't go into technical details.

Here, on the kibbutz, we're more prone to receive gunfire. Our fields are right beside the strip.

Strange that you've bumped this thread, jim. It's the final day of Chanukah vacation. A teachers' strike, going on for 52 days, is hopefully coming to an end. Here, at our school, and the schools in Sderot and Netivot, there has been no strike, since it was considered safer for kids to be in school than wander their town streets.

About the Teachers' Strike

Along with all the inherent tensions of continual attack, teachers have had to shoulder a lot of the resulting traumas at school. At the same time, budget cuts in education have meant that our classes are getting larger making everything worse. Kids are learning less, showing less ability to concentrate, and the ones who always found studies hard are finding it that much harder to sit down and work.

Our salaries, always ludicrously low, are being eroded by cost of living increases. The gov't saw a need for reform and their solution was to come up with a plan entailing longer teaching hours for less hourly pay.

Teachers are serious about giving education the backing it needs - smaller classes, more teaching hours, more reasonable salaries. The resulting strike has put a lot of issues to the fore. Hopefully there'll be an agreement.

But for us here in the area surrounding Gaza, tomorrow's back to school after a week off for Chanukah. We now have more reinforced structures for emergency bomb alerts. The shelter beside the English Centre was, unfortunately, hauled away to another area of school, so we'll have no choice but to duck beneath tables.

Still, with all this, my job is fairly simple - to teach, encourage open minds, talk about peace, need to co-exist, need to think creatively. Simple, right?
But then again, nothing's easy in this world of aggravated human idiocy, but we still carry on.

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » December 13th, 2007, 9:16 am

It's a mystical time of year.
At least for some.
strange, how Islam has it's days of Ramadan ending with a feast, and then another festive day on December 20th,
and Judiasm has the Chanukah in the first half of December and the days of Advent in Christianity are following us as well.

Sweet Judih brown eyes, believe that you are right when you say that there is an undercurrent of peace that flows between all these peoples living in this area.
In answer to Texas trucker, an associate of Kinky Friedman, or at least a neighbor, my impression is that it is necessary to set limits. The Israelis need to set limits about what they are willing to tolerate in terms of violent abuse from the Palestinians and Hezbollah, but also they need to set limits on their expansion of territories and their unmitigated explosions into frustrated violence. Yesh Gvul is an Israeli military veterans organisation that is allied with my Veterans for Peace. My own history of serving in Vietnam and then refusing to fly KC-135's due to my protest of the ongoing air war makes me a refusenik, a brother of these Israeli military veterans.

However, I am not exactly a pacifist. I would have bombed hell out of germany in WW dos, and expect that you, Kinky's compadre, would have been in the trenches sniping just like you do here, not entirely unwelcome, either. Now that we are not burdened with the passion of extreme mass violence, it should be easier to affirm a conciliatory tone in discussing this area with an extroadinary opportunity to learn anew.

To make changes, it is necessary to unlearn old things in order to assimilate new horizons.

I do find it unbelievable that there were ever Israeli settlements inside Gaza, a densely populated strip of land, when outside this enclave there is an expanse of territory that would accomodate these Israeli people, as has been done.

I know that some argue tha the Israeli settlers in the West Bank are actually contributing to mainland Israeli security, but I disagree. I believe that these settlements have to be discontinued, the networks of roads and guard points that check the daily flow of Palestinians has to be stopped.
Border security should be impassable surrounding a coalesced israel proper and limits set, without and within.

As fas as Jerusalem goes, it is an opportunity for integration, and this can happen with designed security. There is no excuse for a permeable border anywhere around Israel.

Gaza should have free access to Egypt.
The tunnels are merely an alternative roadway. Egypt should be charged with a proper border maintenance, and as I understand it, these tunnells are also used for black market trading, and living supplies. Maybe the pressure to dig tunnells would be lessened without an aconomic boycott.

and while these things may not happen immediatly, they should be expressed as measureable goals.
Conflict resolution includes deescalation, and this includes communication with those who hate you.

This is the hardest thing to do.

as far as the rockets go, yes, the technology will continue to improve.
Three things that the Israelis can do: first, evolve internal defense techniques. There should be satellite technology turned on 24/7 that can detect the heat from a rocket launched from Gaza. There should be in place an early warning radar that will detect incoming missiles in advance of 20 seconds, as the flight path should take at least a couple of minutes. A stronger will to survive these rockets needs to be developed by Israeli children, including frequent drills, readily accessable bunkers. simply being frazzled and distracted by these irritants is not a good enough standard. Inotherwords, your school kids need to both have compassin for themselves, their neighbors, the prospect of peace, as well as a strong inner vigor to carry on.

Second, what are we talking about? oy vey, i yam such a schlep·ping
schlemiel, vat is number 2, i had it,?
vait, i'll be baack.
Last edited by jimboloco on December 13th, 2007, 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » December 13th, 2007, 9:43 am

As far as receiving gunfire from the Gaza strip whilst working in fields, well, that is a problem of proximity. You have a million souls locked inside an urban strip while other souls farm lands in close proximity. You get what you pay for. There is no way to stop this small arms fire, Retribution will not work. You all should create a buffer zone or have your farmers wear body armor. Again, more on internal security.

Externally, numero dos, there has got to be a bridging process, even in the face of resistance. This can be done with third parties, intermediaries. Support should be given to genuine charities to uplift the vision of Palestinians, including schools there, and economic well-being. That this is a pecreived risk by some is an obstruction of course, but the greater good of palestinian economic well-being has got to offer a greater prospect for peace, not for war. The Gaza needs to be able to expand and this is obviously easiest into Sinai.

I have been googling, your kibbutz is not in my google earth however i was able to look into sderot, as well as scan the area on Israel and Gaza.
Impressive is what I see inside israel. The designesd settlement patterns, the large cultivated fields, very modern and strong. In Gaza, the patterns of settlement are more like Americas, along roadways, as urban sprawl, and large congested urban areas, with the farming plots much smaller and less impressive.

I looked down onto the bombed out and unrepaired runway of the Palestinian airport.

Egypt along Gaza appears also to have the same lack of strong cultivation or settlement development.

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » December 13th, 2007, 10:54 am

all in all i am google eyed

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » December 13th, 2007, 10:54 am

all in all i am google eyed :shock:
such a beautious region
israel is magnificent
Last edited by jimboloco on January 15th, 2008, 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » December 13th, 2007, 12:35 pm

What you are proposing about getting Gaza going - education, factories, highways is exactly what G, my partner, has been saying since '67. There never should have been Jewish settlements built. The problem was the gov't at the time wanted expansion, thinking in time it could be used as tradeback for peace. Yeah, sure. That was a myth propagated and people moved there, those who believed in co-existence, those who believed in some ancient right, those who just wanted a nice house at an attractive price.

Oy, i say. What a huge mess, what a horrible 30 years passed.
And when the settlers moved out, some of us hoped that at least the Gazans would live in the houses, enjoy the gardens, the infrastructure, but no. Most of it was bulldozed, bombed.

Gazans get back and forth to Egypt with border checks. The underground tunnels are indeed there for smuggling.

As for "satellite technology". We've had it. We're given 15 second alerts in case of qassams. Unfortunately, when we've had these alerts, the result has just been more panic. At home, we have no safe shelter. Three of our Children's Houses (daycare structures) have been provided with 'secure' roofs but after 4 p.m., they're closed, and most attacks seem to occur either early morning or at the time when kids are busing to schools. So, that's not much help.

Once at home, my daughter and I hid under the 88 keys of our upright piano - since that was the best bet. There are frequent drills, our schools have accessible bunkers. These drills are truly drills for our school, but for the schools in Sderot, there are enough actual attacks for drills to be superfluous.

We're not talking about being 'frazzled and distracted' - we're talking about post-traumatic stress syndrome. In Sderot, everyone knows someone who's been affected.

I'm looking at your quote below as i say these things.
Our kids have to develop a huge compassionate non-ego sense of humanity. How? How, indeed. I know that it takes education from pre-birth to hope to raise such a being. How do I begin with my students?
This is the million dollar question.

It starts with the parents, and there are so many from so many different backgrounds. We do what we can in schools, but kids come to school as almost complete units of prejudice or fear or insecurity or confidence or magnamity (is that a word?)

How to crack open such kids and render them pliable, able to see with new more open eyes?

And, now, dear Jim, capitalism raises its ugly head. The idealism of communal living, making daily life more social through cooperation, is slowly grinding to a halt. Kids are growing up with a sense of 'what's in it for me' - something that was never the first consideration of a kibbutznik.

I guess i'm lucky that i still see some of the old ideals in the teachers i work with, the school i'm associated with, cause the trends are rapidly painting everything in measurable paychecks and hourly computations.

I plough the soils everyday (soils = teaching to think, wonder, ask), hoping that once a seed is planted there'll be enough fertilizer to get it sprouting before some enemy shows up to chomp it up.

Enough for now. I could use a good google.

Three things that the Israelis can do: first, evolve internal defense techniques. There should be satellite technology turned on 24/7 that can detect the heat from a rocket launched from Gaza. There should be in place an early warning radar that will detect incoming missiles in advance of 20 seconds, as the flight path should take at least a couple of minutes. A stronger will to survive these rockets needs to be developed by Israeli children, including frequent drills, readily accessable bunkers. simply being frazzled and distracted by these irritants is not a good enough standard. Inotherwords, your school kids need to both have compassin for themselves, their neighbors, the prospect of peace, as well as a strong inner vigor to carry on.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » December 13th, 2007, 2:45 pm

"Live a little buy some lands in the occupied territories"
That is something you said to me along time ago jim and I was kind of puzzled by the remark. What did you mean by the remark, why did you say that to me? Maybe you could tell me sometime.

I don't want no truck with Kinky Freidman, I lost my sense of humor after the last election here in texas.

On the subject of the kibbutzim I have read that they are being privatized.
http://www.pbs.org/heavenonearth/interviews_gavron.html

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » December 14th, 2007, 12:06 am

some are being privatized (separate income, separate payment of medical plans, education, etc). Some are not.
Right now, our kibbutz is considering a change in direction.

I think a good change would be realizing that a kibbutz, by definition, is cooperative and those who want privatization could find a nice place in a city or town. Another good change would be people looking at the good that a kibbutz offers, realizing that it is worth preserving, and that preservation is possible if each member puts in an honest day's work and then comes home to enjoy family life and pastoral settings.

We'll see.

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » December 23rd, 2007, 11:26 pm

i guess my comment about buying a settlement property was a joke, not a good one

but I appreciate the background on the settlement situation
and I have actually considered that myself, if they could have become islands of goodwill,
I do see Israel a little better now, from the Google earth, the layout is awesome, the photographs show me an incredible architecture, and the enormous potential of a prosperous and thriving culture.
It would be wonderful if somehow Israel could bestow this potential upon its neighbors.

The animosity is wearing down this fervor for a homeland, what it is supposed to do. There has got to be a resilience based upon a faith that this experiment actually has something to offer not only for Israel proper, but also for its neighbors. This has got to be the vision, beyond surviving in a hostile region.

At any rate, I am glad we have you here in this cyberclub, and hope to dialogue with you more, some constructive sharing without blame, calling limits as I do with America, not condemning the nation, but hoping to fulfill some better potential.

Stay well and keep the hope alive,
peace, Jim
ps you would laugh if i tried to sing
so nobody ain't lost any sense of humor
besides it was kinky who said the ten commandments should be called
th ten suggestions
makes sense to me
where it the burning bush when we need it?
Blake, William (1757-1827)
Moses and the burning bush. Watercolour. London, England, early 19th century. Inv.:AL9285.
Photo Credit : Victoria & Albert Museum, London / Art Resource, NY

Return to “Eyewitness Reports”