Content of 2 previous forums combined.
Sober Duck

Computer Viruses

Post by Sober Duck » March 19th, 2005, 11:25 pm

Computer Viruses
By
Richard Moylan Jr.
xsoberduckx@aol.com
It’s hard to accept that out in cyber space there are low life people who purposely launch worms and viruses onto the internet. These viruses can disrupt the lives of all computer users, many businesses and the cost of damages can be in the millions. I have a hard time trying to understand the motivation behind such hi-tech crimes. What is being gained? Is there money to be made through extortion? Is there a conspiracy going on? Are the manufactures of virus protection soft ware behind these crimes or is it just a fetish?
Unfortunately with the speed of advancing technology, laws governing such crimes haven’t been considered yet. What do you charge a hacker with, 1.5 million counts of vandalism? The last hacker caught is doing four to five years for his millions of dollars worth of damage. After considering the extent of damage created by deliberate viruses I have concluded that a few years in jail is not enough punishment for the crime. When someone launches a virus and is caught and found guilty I believe a class action law suit should be filed against that person by all infected by that virus. I believe that if law suits are included along with jail time it would be one heck of a deterrent. Most hackers are fairly young, the last one caught, only eighteen. If a class action law suit was won a persons assets would be tied up until the day they die. That thought alone would keep me from launching a virus.

Return to “Interviews & Articles”