Facebook Users Beware:

How to, where to, links, etc. A reference library.
stilltrucking

Facebook Users Beware:

Post by stilltrucking » November 22nd, 2009, 10:21 am

* Facebook Users Beware: New Worm on the Loose

A new variation on an old worm is crawling its way into Facebook.
Attackers have released an updated, more intelligent version of
the notorious Koobface virus, and anyone could become its next
victim. Here's how it works, and how to keep yourself safe.
http://lm.pcworld.com/t/753633/6427230/28919/0/

- JR Raphael, PC World
Facebook Protection

So, what can you do to keep yourself safe from this Koob-faced villain? The steps are nothing you haven't heard before: Keep your antivirus software up to date, and use some common sense.

Antivirus software will alert you if you click onto a site that's known to host malware -- and that's exactly where these Koobface links want to take you. The easiest way to stay safe, then, is just to be cautious in choosing what you click.

If you see a link that looks questionable, even if it's from someone whose name you know, don't follow it. And if you find yourself on a Web page that's asking you to download a software update, don't do it. Instead, close the window and go directly to the software vendor's own Web page to see if the update is the real deal.

Otherwise, you might end up with Koob smeared all over your face--and, suffice it to say, that's one fate you'd be better off avoiding.

JR Raphael is the co-founder of geek-humor site eSarcasm. You can keep up with him on Twitter: @jr_raphael.

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » November 22nd, 2009, 11:41 am

Geez.... thanks for the warning, Jack. Here's more from the article. I'm fascinated with how they do shit like this. What I really want to know is... WHY?
Here's how Trend Micro says it's happening: Botnets are registering new Facebook accounts and confirming them via accompanying Gmail addresses, all without any human interaction. The zombie accounts are then joining Facebook groups, adding friends, and posting dangerous links onto those people's walls.

"This new component behaves like a regular Internet user that starts to connect with friends in Facebook," explains Jonell Baltazar, an advanced threats researcher with Trend Micro. "The details provided about the account are complete such as a photo, birth date, favorite music, and favorite books."

The system is even advanced enough to monitor maximum friend levels allowed by Facebook, Baltazar says, to avoid drawing any attention to the ill-intended account.
Last time there was a malware attack on FB, several of my friends names were posting links they didn't really post.... hacked by the bot who was posting as them. The links led to exactly where this article says they'd lead.

Some people are really stupid, I guess. I'd see these links and I knew what it was and I'd post a reply so all their friends would see it, "Friend's Name didn't really post this link. This is a bot. Do NOT click on the link. It will download dangerous software to your computer. To learn more, click here." And then I'd post a link to the story about it (similar to the article you just posted). "Friend's Name, please delete this post from your Wall so nobody can click the link."

Despite my diligent efforts, one young lady posted after my warning that she had clicked the link and was worried about her computer. "You clicked it even though I posted that it would download dangerous software to your computer?" I asked. She never answered. Not too bright.

Another person on my friend's list continued to post on her page without deleting the bogus, dangerous post. "Did you see my message below? You have a post on your page which needs to be removed because someone may click that link!"

She never replied to me. She just continued posting. And she never deleted the hack post with the link in it.

They're either stupid ..... or I am for trying.

(sorry, sunday morning ramble... lol ;))

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » November 25th, 2009, 6:16 pm

The internet is getting "weirder than string cheese".

A while back I clicked on an article on the NY Times website and got this message.

News at avast
Clearly Malicious
Malware is getting more malicious, with a new round of bogus advertisements attempting to defraud or infect hitting well-known web sites like the New York Times.
Avast recognized the new threat from the beginning, according to the NYTimes “Gadgetwise” blog. Bogus ads on the NYTimes were flagged by avast running on the journalist’s own computer.
The newest attacks show how the battleground for computer security has shifted from email to the internet, with around 80 percent of all new infections now originating via the internet.
To remain protected, pay attention to avast warnings. If avast blocks access to your favorite sites, trust us - there is a reason.
http://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/200 ... pop-up-ad/
If you can't trust the new york times who can you trust? :wink: .

Speaking of weird error messages:

Return to “Postips & e-sources”