Hunting Down Two Authors

Discuss books & films.
bohonato

Hunting Down Two Authors

Post by bohonato » July 26th, 2005, 1:15 pm

So Sunday night I'm at the local Borders (Barnes and Noble closes at eight), and I purchased Desolation Angles and The Armies of the Night. However, that is not important.

The woman at the cashier asked if I have read Charles Bukowski or some other guy. I've never heard of either. Bukowski wrote a book called "Women", and I've found some stuff by him.

I'm attempting to find this other guy. I though she said "Jim Carol", but I can't find anything on that name. I believe he writes about drug culture, or at least has one book on it. I'm not entirely sure about the name, as I first thought that Bukowski was Wakowski.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has heard anything about these characters, or has read any of their work.

Glorious Amok

Post by Glorious Amok » July 26th, 2005, 1:47 pm

Bukowski's poetry is as raw as a thawed out chicken carcass, never air-brushed, always handled bare-handed and marinating in red wine.

the other character of whom you speak, i don't know, it wouldn't be William Burroughs, would it? i mean, all the beats touch on drug culture, but he was likely the dark prince of that genre.
"YOUR way is your only way." - jack kerouac

bohonato

Post by bohonato » July 26th, 2005, 2:03 pm

I suppose she could of said William Burroughs; his name does sound slightly like "Jim Carol". Curse my ears!

Dave The Dov

Post by Dave The Dov » July 26th, 2005, 2:31 pm

If you want to know about Jim Carroll. Here is an excellent website that great info on him. http://www.catholicboy.com/catholicboy. ... /index.asp After that go out and buy his book "The Basketball Dairies" and read it. You'll be blown away by his writing. He is apart of the post Beat Generation. He was also influanced by William S. Burroughs and was good friends with Allen Ginsberg. He's also put out an album called "Catholic Boy" back in the early eighties. You should check that out as well. As for Bukowski check out his poetry as well as his novels!!!!
Last edited by Dave The Dov on March 15th, 2009, 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

bohonato

Post by bohonato » July 26th, 2005, 2:57 pm

YES!
That's the cat! I remember the woman mentioning The Basketball Diaries. Thanks for the URL, and the info.

Dave The Dov

Post by Dave The Dov » July 26th, 2005, 3:02 pm

No problem!!!! :D

Return to “Literature & Film”