On The Road

Discuss books & films.
Atit

On The Road

Post by Atit » August 11th, 2005, 8:25 pm

there's talk of On The Road finnaly being shot...wish i could work on it. http://breakingnews.iol.ie/entertainmen ... =y5y7z5x48

e_dog

Post by e_dog » August 12th, 2005, 11:02 pm

i will boycott.

this film shouldnt be made. it is crass adaptation, like the Ten Commandments movie. some works are sacred and should not be corrupted by some directors vision no matter who's in charge.
I don't think 'Therefore, I am.' Therefore, I am.

Atit

Post by Atit » August 12th, 2005, 11:15 pm

my facination with this is that back when i was first reading kerouac...you know that incredible excitment when you've found "your thing" for the first time....boy that sounds dirty, didn't intend for that...you know the first time you find what latter becomes one of your loves...in the midst of that, when i first read on the road, i started 1. writting my own story 2. reading a shitload more 3. writting the screen adaptation of On The Road...i'm hoping that this movie encourages those who haven't read kerouac to do so. the thing i loved so much about the story in the first place was that its so different from convincional values about money and staying in one place...the book makes people want to do and be what they always wanted to be but never could...hey no one ever said i was the most articulate in the world...but maybe the movie will have a similar effect...if not then big deal...what you have to do is be able to seperate the works...thats all.

e_dog

Post by e_dog » August 14th, 2005, 4:03 pm

love that word "convincional"!

anyway, you say all you gota do is separate the works, adaption from novel, but that's darn hard to do, indeed impossible for those who see the film version first, then read the book.

one will have a hard time keeping Emma Thompson and Kate Winslett out of their imagination when reading Sense n Sensibility, which would truer to the 'original' text of Jane Austen if unmediated by the movie.

true, there would not have been a Jane Austen revival if not foir the films (maybe) but is the increased readership of Kerouac from the film really worth the corruption, or even needed? I for one will cringe when the first edition of OTR with a movie inspired cover emerges on the marketplace , you know the kind of re-issue that replaces the previous (perhaps, various) covers with one that is drawn from the film, like a movie poster. if they put an actors mug on the cover of OTR, i will howl.

or something.
I don't think 'Therefore, I am.' Therefore, I am.

K&D

Post by K&D » August 14th, 2005, 4:38 pm

you should record the howl...i'd like to hear it. i don't know maybe your right...actually you probably are, but i love kerouac and i love film, maybe both isn't such a great idea but i can't help getting excited...maybe people will know why i love him...people aren't much readers these days and they look at me like i'm crazy, the way i rant about kerouac, ginsber and ferllinghetti and esp. walt whitman.
Blah!

Return to “Literature & Film”