Everyman - Philip Roth

Discuss books & films.
Arcadia

Everyman - Philip Roth

Post by Arcadia » October 14th, 2007, 7:50 pm

the title here is Elegía (?) (the sobre-interpretation tendency of some of the translators to spanish never stops to amaze me...!!). The book came in an unexpected way: the kid I´m helping with literary studies one time a week asked me to borrow him Rulfo´s El llano en llamas. I have a beautiful edition in Archivos collection, so I said to him in a mixed funny-serious way it´s ok, but be careful with the book, si?. The next class he came with this book, it seems to borrow something to me too... and he said it was my father´s day present for this year, maybe you also like to read it... and I said well, I´ll be careful with this book too... and because I´m terrible curious and I like unexpected books I´m about to finish it.

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » October 18th, 2007, 2:43 pm

still trucking likes philip roth
he used to read him while bearing down on the pedal driving the long downhill slopes at breakneck speed
i saw him one time at a truckstop in montana in the middle of the night
he and phil were shooting the breeze at the counter.
i was heading west to nevada with a drunk miner.

actually jack tiles posted some writing by phil roth about a new york family at a memorial service
how the deceased man's life had untangled
estrangement from his brother

i did stop at a truck stop in montana more than once
but i only remember the last two times
when i stopped with the drunk miner, it was long ago, 1973, at a small western town in the afternoon, heading to nevada to work in a copper mine
the last time i stopped in montana, it was late in the evening after dark, at a small mexican cafe, on my last road going before settling down in florida, winter 1987-88

i like to think that i may have seen jack sometime out west at a truckstop where i'd hole up when wired from pointless meandering wild directionless driving,
apologise just had a bit of fantasy fun.

i googled rosario but did not see you.
[color=darkcyan]i'm on a survival mission
yo ho ho an a bottle of rum om[/color]

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » October 19th, 2007, 3:26 pm

still trucking likes philip roth si? I found this book somehow like a S. XXI Bashevis Singer relato. I liked it!

i googled rosario but did not see you. :?:

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » October 22nd, 2007, 10:25 am

google earth
from a distance the world is blue and green
http://earth.google.com/
where is still trucking when we need him? :roll:
[color=darkcyan]i'm on a survival mission
yo ho ho an a bottle of rum om[/color]

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » October 22nd, 2007, 6:13 pm

I have only read one novel by Phillip Roth.

e-dog has a string about the dearth of political novels in the USA
this is one novel he mentioned in passing. I have not been able to find e-dog's string yet.

This guy did not like it at all
Ruthless Reviews

I liked it because it flashed me back to what my childhood was like growing up in a family of refugee Jews during world war two.I suppose I like Roth mainly for this quote:

A Jew without Jews, without Judaism, without Zionism, without Jewishness, without a temple or an army or even a pistol, a Jew clearly without a home, just the object itself, like a glass or an apple.
Philip Roth
Not a Jew without Jews yet
I still have my family.

I heard him discussing Everyman on a NPR show.
Fresh Air from WHYY, May 8, 2006 · Philip Roth's new novel is about a 71-year-old multi-divorced, successful advertising man who is facing his physical deterioration and approaching death -- without the aid of religion or philosophy. One reviewer called Everyman a "swift, brutal novel about a heartbreakingly ordinary subject."
Fresh AIr

He has a new novel out called Exit Ghost.

You can read the first chapter free

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » October 23rd, 2007, 1:32 pm

thanks s-t!!!!!!!

Return to “Literature & Film”