Argentine literature & politics

Discuss books & films.
Arcadia

Argentine literature & politics

Post by Arcadia » October 21st, 2007, 5:12 pm

I listened to one mesa and two conferences among the multiple activities that offered the Congreso Internacional de Cuestiones Críticas that were held last week in our University.
I was re-surprised for the intensity of the strong politic side of our literature and literary studies. And near the elections, the presence of a slide-politic-debate around literary texts in times where debate is not found easily anywhere leave me thinking. Is the present so frightening?

. César Aira "Las tres novelas"/ Diálogo con Juan José Becerra

I read two novels of Aira last year. And I passed through some of the emotions that most of his lectores relate: something like an infantil pleasure for narration, the humor, and the weird feeling that the writer was joking on you.
It´s the first time I saw and listen to him directly. Between his thoughts about the tree novels he said some things in the polemic-bipolar line so clasic in our literary history:

. "I use a metaliterary language but using raw material from daily tv shows, clase B cinema and comics. That´s why literature professors liked me and understand me. I serve the things in a silver bandeja. Other writers like Piglia and Saer use "noble material" for writing".

. "It seems that nobody can write seriously anymore nowadays (included me). Soon the joke appears or the too much irony..."

"El viaje de izquierda" Silvia Sayta

She reasearched about the cronicles of travelers, "friends" of argentine communists joining them to their travels to communists countries like Russia in the '30 or China in the '60. She highlight the figure of "the friend"as writer, the fact that there aren´t too much published travel-crónicas and that they were very naif, not critic and very controlled by the local PC . The travel was only a corroboration-work. "They simply couldn´t see what really happened in that countries, it was not possible or allowed for them to think in terms of critic and tell that here... (where an pro-clericalism-and-anti-communism was still so strong)".
"The cronic of travels to Cuba were a bit different, and with more subjective impronta".

Jorge Panesi "Borges y el peronismo"

. Panesis hipótesis was something like: "if you literaturize the politics like Borges did (talking about the Peronismo as a monster, a nightmare, the barbarie, the malevos..) using only hipérbole as a recurso you will not see reality more or less in an objective way". "The politics ideas of Borges were the same ones as an aunt of him could have..."

Totenkopf

Post by Totenkopf » October 21st, 2007, 7:09 pm

I listened to one mesa
Ah tabletalk! Cool. Real poeticals know things, es verdad. Or is it TableMountain Talk.

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » October 21st, 2007, 9:06 pm

there were 45 mesas. I choosed the one I listened because I was free at that hour and because it was in the salón de actos (the biggest one, confortably chairs and fans). Mesa is when you share the mesa with other conferenciantes. "El viaje de izquierda" was part of a mesa with two other conferences "The good savage doesn´t exist" (about Chateaubriand´s Atala and Echeverria´s La Cautiva), and other very funny about english-travellers cronics´s translations to spanish in S. XIX. After that there were questions-and-answers. "El viaje de izquierda" caused a little debate. "Why didn´t we had an Andre Gide?" someone asked.

It will be in some days also a "Jornadas of North-american literature". The first ones. Also a Congreso of Semiotics at the beggining of November. The inscription is cheaper than a cinema-ticket so maybe I´ll listened around a little in my little free time. :wink: I´ll tell you later.

what´s TableMountain Talk?

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » October 22nd, 2007, 10:34 am

i think he wants to under stand "mesas" which translated directly as "tables"

the journey of the left
going in circles?

also translations of 19th centuryy english traveler's chronicles in argentina naive and amuzing?
so am i in some ways

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andr%C3%A9_Gide
mercy
nobody like that inside argentina?
too bad chê never got to russia?

andre gide was against french colonialism during that time
is a good thing

i heard about a guy who was in the american invasion of cambodia in may, 1970
(i got there in september)
he was fighting the vietcong and the north vietnamese in a michelin rubber plantation
when he got back to america, he went to a michelin tire dealer and told him that he was defending michelin's rubber plantation against the communists
he asked for a free set of tires
no dice

we finally had one congressman in california, forgot his name,
just recently use hyperbole in condemning the republican's defeat of the s-chip children's health insurance program

he said, "those chickenhawks want thos kids to stay healthy, don't they, so they can grow up to get their heads blown off in the neo-con's wars for profit," which was condemned as excessive by newsweek, anyhow, it seemed right on target to me. we do need to demonize the neo-con republicans, i have no problems with that
they demonise us as commie pinko fags, unpatriotic, which has no logic to it, but at least the portrayal utterred by the congressman has some logic to it.

thank goosness i am not working today, i had too much to think about three 14 hour days just completed.

i helped a vietnamese woman with her family all there,
they asked me about my stay in vietnam
particularly the daughter, in her twenties
i told her, "it's too bad that people have to go through wars to resolve their conflicts," but that "people can suffer a lot and go through very difficult things and heal" as she was particularly intense

with those people i would never use hyperbole
i respect them too much and they know the pain

but with elitists, fuck them
[color=darkcyan]i'm on a survival mission
yo ho ho an a bottle of rum om[/color]

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » October 22nd, 2007, 1:29 pm

the journey of the left
going in circles?

no idea...!

also translations of 19th centuryy english traveler's chronicles in argentina naive and amuzing?

they said with examples something like the local translators made a totally different text with their translations (I don´t remember the two sides of the examples but they sounded funny) and that they also used the translations as a way to tell their own journeys and ideas through prefaces and side notes.

nobody like that inside argentina?

the point was that Gide was sent and paid by the Communist Party to go to Russia. And it seems he returned with a text full of critics about stalinism. More or less in times or Spanish Civil War. The person who pointed that, was suggesting there was more freedom of thought towards stalinism in Gide and that didn´t happen with the local intelectual-militant-friends of militants travelers to Russia. Something like that when you are too much in a defensive attitude (for different reasons) your possibilities to be objective, critic or coherent are less or nule.

too bad chê never got to russia?

mmm... nobody talked about that, but the general idea was that there was more freedom to talk about Cuba in the sixties because the cuban-revolution-process was thought as a different thing from the the PC Party structure or III International (at least at that times).

hyperbole

It seems Borges used it to justify persecution and deads to peronistas after the Revolución Libertadora (something like: they are malevos... ok... well... they died in their law... why to lament that?). He was a brilliant mind, he was against fascismo but he supported each militar dictadura. Life´s contradictions.

with those people i would never use hyperbole
i respect them too much and they know the pain

but with elitists, fuck them

that sounds good!! but is there something like a pain-elitism? mind can be tricky, (at least mine!).

what I was thinking while listening all this, other people and myself is that the feeling to be with or against something/someone is here still somehow extreme and in apparent contradiction with the aparent apathy´s atmosphere.

thanks for reading, friend!.

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » October 22nd, 2007, 3:08 pm

thankyou for explaiining to e about the Gide point
and really that is quite an amazing point
to think that this individual went there and saw some things
and became aware that thhere were some aspects of Stalin russiia that he did not like
and informed his french communists friends

that speaks to me of strength of character

the journey of the left going in circles, just a funny joke
or so i thought
would like to see some progress

i wonder if che had woken up to the limits of bloody insurgent communist revolution,
he would have not wasted his last years in the congo or in bolivia
i really feel like his death and the deaths of his comrades was a shame but even had they stayed alive, the way towards progress in south america has been non-violent, and cuba's revolution was a lot like the traditional russian strongarm programs, my opinion

I guess I didn't understand the reference to Borges
but e-dog did post the incident i had referred to, a congressman stark

Democratic Congressmember Pete Stark has set off a furious Republican reaction with his comments on the House floor. Stark said: “You don’t have money to fund the war or children. But you’re going to spend it to blow up innocent people if we can get enough kids to grow old enough for you to send to Iraq to get their heads blown off for the president’s amusement.”
http://www.studioeight.tv/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=11181

i am really in over my head with this literacy stuff
but i don't mind trying once in awhile
to understand what youse guys are talking about.
i am not against all elitism
i have been accused of that myself
called a prima-donna
but that's because i believe in quality
like why i am working at this particular hospital
because they evoke the kind of values that i want to be a part of.

so does "mesa" refer to table-talk?
Last edited by jimboloco on October 23rd, 2007, 12:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » October 22nd, 2007, 6:06 pm

i am really in over my head with this literacy stuff
but i don't mind trying once in awhile
to understand what youse guys are talking about

well, they aren´t mine and there were also gals in the tabletalk...

i am not against all elitism

well, I´m definately not elitist in literary terms. I´m not an academic and I´m most of my work-time with kids and family´s kids trying to listen, learn and teach in a conflictive south-western neighborhood.

i have been accused of that myself
called a prima-donna

well, it´s too easy to label and be labeled. I was kindly accused to be an elitist for not been married, not having kids or not having at least three men per year... I was also accused to be an elitist for not consume some things most people consume. It´s quite probable I acussed to be an elitist someone else . It´s ok. It can be a non ending game. But I guess I know what kind of elitism you were talking about.

but that's because i believe in quality
like why i am working at this particulat hospital
because they evoke the kind of values that i want to be a part of.

the work you are doing is great, no doubt!!!

so does "mesa" refer to table-talk?

yeah, it seems so! :wink:

Totenkopf

Post by Totenkopf » October 22nd, 2007, 10:13 pm

No foolin'. Mesas are also big tabletop mountains out west, pardners. Roadrunner style. Don Juan mysterioso, Arcadita. So the spanish idiom seems to be "mesa" for conference or lectura as well, verdad.

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » October 23rd, 2007, 12:24 pm

Deadhead
you re a brilliant dude
hope ya are doing well
http://www.wmnf.org/programs/show/298 the freak show
jimbopoco
la ültima habla de mesa
is there a gal at this tabletalk?
some say that mary m was here
but i would've told the j man to split,
head fer th hills
seems like th head priest had it in for him
somebody had labled him as the messiah
(i see what you mean)
somebody once told me i have a messianic complex
hopefully they was a poor judge of character
zap!

sorry no credit
this mesa belongs to coyote
howl!

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » October 23rd, 2007, 1:28 pm

Arcadita? I don´t have intentions to vomit on you right now, so don´t worry toten-friend!!! :wink:

Don Juan mysterioso? jimbo? no, man...!!! He just said he´s Peter Pan!!!. And I haven´t seen a mix of Depp-mexshaman-coyote near here, so I don´t know what are you talking about!.

la ültima habla de mesa
is there a gal at this tabletalk?
some say that mary m was here

no idea what Leonardo had in mind
with his now blurred super-known painting
but sure there are always a woman (or more) in a men´s tabletalk!!

sorry no credit
this mesa belongs to coyote
howl!

well, thanks!!! Maybe I have an ACME box somewhere!!!

Totenkopf

Post by Totenkopf » October 23rd, 2007, 3:08 pm

Ah A. come out to Southwest ah could show you Mesas. IT was merely a pun: you were "listening to a mesa." That's what's phunn about words (and literature). Words don't always work the way the Language police would have us believe. Multiple references, or what do they in frances, "double entendre"...........

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » October 23rd, 2007, 7:19 pm

beep beep!

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » October 23rd, 2007, 8:26 pm

Ah A. come out to Southwest ah could show you Mesas thank you!!! but it´s so far away and I´ve already seen similar landscapes (without flowers, it´s true..)

IT was merely a pun: you were "listening to a mesa." That's what's phunn about words (and literature). Words don't always work the way the Language police would have us believe. Multiple references, or what do they in frances, "double entendre"...........

thank you again & thanks for the french references, but no news, I do it all the time!! :lol:

beep beep!

hi , jimbo!! :wink:

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » October 24th, 2007, 7:57 am

Wile E. Coyote
Road Runner

Acme Birdseed

Released 1993
Edition Size: 500
2 X Hand Signed By Chuck Jones
2 X 12 Field Limited Edition Animation Cel

some people can't take a complimentImage
i need an acme compliment kit
:idea: :?: :)

Totenkopf

Post by Totenkopf » October 24th, 2007, 9:19 am

Now that's Ahht. The landscapes are bodacious. Tho' ah always thought Jones' Roadrunner was a bit odd looking, however much he kicked a** on Wile. Real roadrunners are sort of tan and brown, not so scrawny. Jones' RRer is sort of a PeacockRunner...........................

Wile of course pretty sharp--like using magnetism to catch his bird with ironpellets----just not as fast . I doubt coyotes get too many RRers IRL though. They prefer rodents, rabbits or just scavenge. They will creep up and steal your boots if you sleep out in the desert.

Return to “Literature & Film”