Mondovino - Jonathan Nossiter

Discuss books & films.
Arcadia

Mondovino - Jonathan Nossiter

Post by Arcadia » January 5th, 2008, 10:41 am

Wine was important for most of the people of my generation of this zone with italian or spanish ancestors for our mediterranean grandparents (the so sweet italian moscatos, the reconcentrated vinos de misa´s styles, the ordinary red wines in damajuanas of 5 litros), not at all for our parents and now it seems is a must and also a class sign. Lots of vinerias with all the wine classes you ever imagine are shown everywhere. Also inside of the supermarkets the discussion between a malbec or a cabernet-sauvignon is possible.
I like to drink red wine sometimes in a dosis of half litro in no less than two hours joined with a good dinner or lunch. I only can recognize for the strong alcohol taste a wine of 4 pesos but beyond that and between 8 to 20 (that are the prize of the bottles I, my friends or my family can buy) I feel them just ok.
Well, it seems our alcoholic customs and the market variations has something in common.
This film (at times soooo long and a little iterative with some of the casos: specially the too much el-padrino-style of the Mondavi and the french assesor or something that don´t stop laughing) reveals you the secret world of wine bussiness and also let you know all the dogs that the director found in his way ( :wink: to Mondocane).
Also let you meet the the already mentioned Mondavis in their californian wines, a fellinesque toscan marquis, a silent mexican worker with an efusive patron, a sensitive blonde woman, old philosophers men, beautiful landscapes, pro-Mussolini people, a wine critic with lots of bull dogs, usa citizens that love italy instead france, a yanqui with a shoking shirt, racist salteños, a little cafayate wine owner and his story among other things.
Also to wonder how would it taste a catar-wine, who and why can buy a 110 euros bottle! and to know that the word terroir exists.

(this dvd is in the 791 colection serie)

Return to “Literature & Film”