Katherine Anne Porter: Ship Of Fools

Discuss books & films.
tinkerjack

Katherine Anne Porter: Ship Of Fools

Post by tinkerjack » January 21st, 2008, 12:53 am

She was accused of being anti-Semitic because her one Jewish character was portrayed as the least appealing, hating gentiles while hypocritically making his living by selling Christian religious articles (Mooney 61). Givner defends this by speculating that the Jewish character is purposely unpleasant to keep the book from descending into melodrama (470). Givner also quotes blatant anti-Semitic remarks both verbal and written made by Porter that Givner believes are part of a general racism on Porter's part (414, 450-451). When full-length critical studies of her work were published, Porter became irrationally enraged when they printed truths about her early background, for example, her original name, Callie (Givner 465). Personally offended by the proportionately small number of bad reviews, Porter drank excessively, while leading the lavish social life in Washington D.C. that she had always wanted (Givner 456, 460, 465). United Artists bought the film rights to Ship of Fools for $400,000 (Givner 466).
http://web.csustan.edu/english/reuben/p ... orter.html

I watched a show on PBS about The American Jew, reminded me of her German Jew character who was so proud of his Iron Cross from World War One.

Yes yes yes
USA USA USA
free rice

I used to be smart

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » January 21st, 2008, 8:28 am

the frase ship of fools reminded me a mix of Foucault and Plant of now and zen!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

tinkerjack

Post by tinkerjack » January 23rd, 2008, 4:32 pm

It is an interesting phrase. I think this is the inspiration for it.

Hieronymus Bosch
The Ship of Fools
c. 1490-1500 (220 Kb); Oil on wood, 58 x 33 cm (23 x 13"); Musee du Louvre, Paris
Illustrated allegories
In The Ship of Fools Bosch is imagining that the whole of mankind is voyaging through the seas of time on a ship, a small ship, that is representative of humanity. Sadly, every one of the representatives is a fool. This is how we live, says Bosch--we eat, dring, flirt, cheat, play silly games, pursue unattainable objectives. Meanwhile our ship drifts aimlessly and we never reach the harbour. The fools are not the irreligious, since promiment among them are a monk and a nun, but they are all those who live ``in stupidity''. Bosch laughs, and it is sad laugh. Which one of us does not sail in the wretched discomfort of the ship of human folly? Eccentric and secret genius that he was, Bosch not only moved the heart but scandalized it into full awareness. The sinister and monstrous things that he brought forth are the hidden creatures of our inward self-love: he externalizes the ugliness within, and so his misshapen demons have an effect beyond curiosity. We feel a hateful kinship with them. The Ship of Fools is not about other people, it is about us.

http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/bosch/fools/
free rice

I used to be smart

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » January 23rd, 2008, 6:17 pm

Bosch is still one of my favourite painters!
yeah, ship of fools is a common medieval topic, also the dance of death or macabre dance.

listen to the song (it´s not Robert Plant version but I liked it anyway!!! Plant´s one have a great instrumental beggining but it doesn´t sound good in the youtube link)

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1qCK40GwZcA&re ... ram><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1qCK40GwZcA&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

tinkerjack

Post by tinkerjack » January 23rd, 2008, 10:04 pm

Beautiful song.

thank you
free rice

I used to be smart

Return to “Literature & Film”