On the Road With the Beats

Discuss books & films.
bohonato

On the Road With the Beats

Post by bohonato » March 13th, 2008, 12:00 pm

I didn't know exactly where to post this, but eventually decided that since it dealt with literature more than anything, this was the best place.

The University of Texas-Austin is currently have an exhibit on the Beat Generation, including the On the Road scroll.

Edition of Howl inscribed by author.

Diary of Kerouac during writing of On the Road

Photo of Kerouac writing Dharma Bums on scroll (I believe the original was taken by Ginsberg)

Gutenberg Bible chilling in the lobby (separate exhibit)

westcoast

Post by westcoast » March 18th, 2008, 10:33 pm

Did you visit? I spent some time in the Beat Museum in San Fran a while back. It was strange to see this kitsch culture developed around the anti-establishment poets. Some good books there though on the era and posters and such :)

~westcoast
Last edited by westcoast on March 20th, 2008, 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bohonato

Post by bohonato » March 20th, 2008, 11:42 am

Yeah, I was there about two weeks ago. They had a display of the evolution, if you will, of beat to beatnik. I always find it disheartening when the mainstream appropriates a counter-culture or sub-culture, but only the superficial appearance of it. The beats or the hippies, now, are a kitsch item, which completely ignores the true substance. But that's nothing new, I guess.

The Impressionists used to be as avant-garde as they come. Now they're the epitome of establishment art.

(I just re-read this and realized what a downer it is. I'm sorry, I swear I'm not usually this pessimistic)

westcoast

Post by westcoast » March 20th, 2008, 3:54 pm

oh. i didn't take it as negative, just observation of an evolutionary event. the marketing of the beats and beatniks doesn't take away from the extant art and philosphy.

:)

viva la revolution!

~west

Return to “Literature & Film”