I'm Not There

Discuss books & films.
Artguy

I'm Not There

Post by Artguy » August 27th, 2008, 8:19 am

A masterful film on the many Dylans, and just like the troubadour himself the film keeps you guessing...who is this man? I took my daughter to see Dylan last week. I feel sorry for him. I think he is suffering from arthritis in a bad way. He no longer plays guitar, but hides behind a key board and in between each song he walks in a circle trying to bend his knees... wincing...when he walks he looks like he is going to break. Good concert though....

Dave The Dov

Post by Dave The Dov » August 27th, 2008, 10:08 am

Wait you saw the movie and you saw him play at the same time????
Last edited by Dave The Dov on March 25th, 2009, 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Artguy

Post by Artguy » August 27th, 2008, 10:16 am

Within a few days of each other. I've seen him 11 times since 1980...

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » August 27th, 2008, 11:16 am

oh, arthritis, poor guy.
(thinking: glucosamine, grape diet, cabbage poultices)
but fabulous that he's on stage still performing.

Maybe he breathed in too much urban air in the fine city of Hamilton (wasn't it?)

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » August 27th, 2008, 11:41 am

I thought the cinematic attempts were admirable as well as some of the stories within and some of the acting, but all in all, the movie sucked as it was represented to be about Dylan but it really wasn't. Just my opinion. Dylan truly was not there. It was just some weakly linked characatures using Dylan as a model to pull parts of his life and turn them into other stories. I don't think it succeeded at what it was trying to do. Someone gave me a DVD. I watched it then gave it to someone else.

Sorry to hear about his health. I didn't know he was having a hard time. I've seen him 3 or 4 times and each concert was superb! I love him.

Scootertrash

Post by Scootertrash » November 13th, 2008, 3:07 am

My thought was that if it wasn't for Kate Blanchette that film was a turkey and a half.....

....and for those concerned about Dylan never playing the guitar on stage anymore, though it's true he didnt play it at all for the past 3 years, the Fall leg of the NET had him playing the six string on a few songs a night.
Check One:
_Yes, I would like to receive information on Nigerian Oil Investments
_Yes, I would like to receive information on pyramid and triangle-based investment opportunities

tarbaby
Location: Oz, or someplace like Kansas, but mostly stilltrucking's vanity

Post by tarbaby » November 14th, 2008, 8:23 am

st wrote:
years, the Fall leg of the NET had him playing the six string on a few songs a night.
that is the best news I have heard since last week. Thank you

How many songs has he written:?
Every other week I stumble on one of his songs I never heard before

this one

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GFKj7iX150Y&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GFKj7iX150Y&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

and this one

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qrRJV5vFXDI&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qrRJV5vFXDI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Still have not seen the movie.
“Where is that man who has forgotten words that I may have a word with him?”

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » November 14th, 2008, 11:36 am

yeah, kate was the star of that flick - and she makes it totally worth seeing.

amazing performance.
as a poet, dylan, is incomparable - literate, cool, genius at juxtaposition, prolific, varied, stimulating and grabbing music to make it hit a person's heart. ah, dylan.

can't wait to read chronicles, volume 2. (if he ever writes it) Has anyone heard if he's working on it?

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » November 18th, 2008, 12:04 pm

I saw the film some weeks ago, I agree with scootertrash. And judih, of course! :wink:

tinkerjack

Post by tinkerjack » November 22nd, 2008, 8:44 am

If you meet Bob Dylan on the road kill him
In the fury of the moment I can see the Master's hand
That is some bad ass shit.

Nothing to do with the movie
which I will probably never see.
free rice

I used to be smart

Return to “Literature & Film”