Gogol, (etc)

Discuss books & films.
Andeh

Gogol, (etc)

Post by Andeh » November 18th, 2008, 12:50 pm

I have been reading Gogol (Diary of a Madman and then Dead Souls) I like it, I like the commentary he makes on social class diffs and religion and the humor it was back then. I'm trying to read more "classic" lit (like Dickens and such) since I've been reading so much modern stuff. If anyone else knows some similar authors to this I'd like to hear about it. I read some Nabokov* recently and dont know it's full of imagery but dont know if it's my thing. I havent really read Dostoevsky yet** and such but I'm sure someone would say to.

*that was Lolita
** like sort of, none

Edit- the Dickens stuff I have been reading was Hard Times and Pickwick Papers. I found H T to be humourous and kinda sad showing the desperate times at that time, Pickwick is funny..trying to follow the dialogue of that time. Guess it's been good to read of authors "outside" of the stuff you read at school and also discovering the classic authors you either didnt have time to read at school or maybe not typically part of the college curriculum. Ok I'm spent.

Return to “Literature & Film”