Is There a Movie That Changed Your Life?

Discuss books & films.
stilltrucking

Is There a Movie That Changed Your Life?

Post by stilltrucking » April 28th, 2009, 6:25 am

The editors of Variety posed that question to people including Newt Gingrich, Rev. Jesse Jackson, and historian Doris Kearns Goodwin. Their answers might surprise you. We speak with Robert Hofler who has just published “Variety’s The Movie that Changed My Life: 120 Celebrities Pick the Films that Made a Difference (for Better of Worse).”

http://realserver.bu.edu:8080/ramgen/w/ ... _0427_5.rm

I would have to say for me it was Ship Of Fools. The first time I had compassion for a German.

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » April 29th, 2009, 5:02 pm

I would have to say for me it was Ship Of Fools. The first time I had compassion for a German.
sounds more like a movie that changed your mind rather than your life... but i'm probably being some kinda funny.

you know, truck, i've sat here in front of this dell monitor for about 3-1/2 minutes and there hasn't been one movie that's come to mind that i could say it changed my life. pitiful. i feel like i lost this game and only had a few minutes to play it or lose it... slip-sliding away.

change my life... changed my life! damn, i could name a few movies that entertained me... a few that jolted me... a few movies that got me horny... even a few movies that stretched my imagination a bit... but gosh durn it! i just can't think of any movie that would fit the description of 'changing my life'... i'm sorry, truck. i really am.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » April 30th, 2009, 11:39 am

Interesting bit on the link from the NPR show about the book

When he would get answers like yours to the question he would then ask.

"Is there a movie that changed your life a little bit?"

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » April 30th, 2009, 1:35 pm

"Is there a movie that changed your life a little bit?"
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HaZOXF83zBg&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HaZOXF83zBg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
folk's here's the story 'bout Minnie the Moocher
she was a red hot hoochie coocher
she was the roughest, toughest frail
but Minnie had a heart a big as a whale

(hidey-hi's!)

she messed around with a bloke named Smokey
she loved him, though he was coke-y
he took her down to Chinatown
and he showed her how to kick the gong around

(hidey-hi's!)

she had a dream about the King of Sweden
he gave her things that she was needin'
gave her a home built of gold and steel
a diamond car, with the platinum wheels

(fast hidey-hi's!)

he gave her a townhouse and his racing horses
each meal she ate was a dozen courses
she had a million dollars worth of nickels and dimes
she sat around and counted them a million times

(hidey-hi's, one mo' 'gain!)

poor min, poor min, poor min!

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » April 30th, 2009, 2:05 pm

And it changed your life in what way?

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » April 30th, 2009, 2:23 pm

i've become a better dancer thanks to Cab Calloway. Michael Jackson has nothing on me and my footwork.

;)

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » April 30th, 2009, 2:41 pm

I wish I could dance, spastic to the music.

Small little things

A Star Is Born,
the remake with Barbara Streisand. She comes in from a shopping trip and shows off a Navajo blanket she bought with a large swastika woven into it. Such a powerful evil symbol from my childhood and memories of world war two dark times for my Jewish family, for every ones family. Because every family is unique.

When I saw her admiring the blanket desensitized me to the symbol, let me see it anew with out being manipulated by fear.. Just a little bit of freedom reclaimed
on my road to innocence.

Last Tango In Paris

Still thinking about that one and why I stopped fucking twenty nine years ago.

I am sure the two are connected. But I have not broke through to the truth yet.

The Trip

ditto The Last Tango In Paris
but easier to write about.
I never realized how much I love black widows until I saw the that movie. And how ludicrous copulation is
Ball slap for example.

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » April 30th, 2009, 3:09 pm

Out of your three picks, I've only seen Last Tango in Paris (1973). I really liked that movie. Probably saw 3 times or so. Marlon Brando had that part down perfectly... it was him, I'm pretty sure, at least close to it. Maria Schneider was so pretty and just wonderful to watch, despite the content and crudeness, but that was the story.

Reminds me of another movie that I really enjoyed - 9 1/2 Weeks (1986). I wouldn't go so far as to say it changed my life, but I was in love with Kim Basinger. This story of obsession was riveting, for lack of a better word, so much so that I even own a copy of it (been a long time since I've watched that). The ending was over-the-top... kinda of a let down for me, but that was the story.

That (again) reminds me of another movie that I really enjoyed - The Collector (1965), which was made from a novel by John Fowles that I had read and was blown away by. Another obsession oriented movie that I feel puts the actor(s) in a position of doing a damn powerful performance or flat out fuck it up. The two main characters in the movie were played by Terence Stamp and Samantha Eggar, who I feel trumped the characters.

So there you have it, truck... three movies, one of which was one of your favorites, that didn't change my life but were movie performances that I felt were extremely powerful given the subject matter. Obsessiveness is an interesting condition that one finds in the arts and sciences more frequently than not, imho.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » April 30th, 2009, 3:18 pm

If you find the time listen to the audio link I posted above. It is eight and a half minutes long.

The bit from Ray Bradbury and the movie Singing In The Rain. Just little things, insights and inspiration. That is what I am looking at.

I think you might be missing something here Cecil. Or maybe you would like to change the subject?

obsession is an interesting name for a perfume no doubt. :wink:

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » April 30th, 2009, 3:27 pm

I think you might be missing something here Cecil. Or maybe you would like to change the subject?

obsession is an interesting name for a perfume no doubt. Wink
there I go again... sidetrippin'... just can't help myself, truck... it's me. good thing i have a place to just let the wind blow - sunday streams: a little time spent on the banks of the rolling river of thought, seeing if i can get a bite.

sorry i diverted the subject. i don't know any better.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » April 30th, 2009, 3:40 pm

well I suppose movies have never changed you in anyway, just movies right nothing to do with anything, never affected your views or opinions no way no how.

You are a clear thinker, a student of Zen. You probably have never confused your real life lived experience with something you have seen in a movie.

I on the other hand am sometimes gets confused between what I have seen in the movies and what I have seen in the so called real world.

I know you were not being sarcastic about your appology because you did not use a winky 8)

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » April 30th, 2009, 3:50 pm

you're cracking me up silently, truck... but this subject has gotten to be a quest of sorts - i'm keeping my head open and ifin' i come across a movie that i feel has changed my life, you, amigo, will be the first to know about it (soo may be the first... depending upon her whereabouts ;)) but up to now so far, movies are either entertainment or educational... and maybe that is what this question is all about, eh? has a movie ever educated you? :roll:

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » April 30th, 2009, 3:53 pm

Legends of The Fall

Facing death, nothing earth shattering, just a minor revelation.

Funny how scenes from a movie can flash before your eyes.

They say our lives flash before our eyes in an emergency.

For me scenes from movies and TV shows have been mixed in with my own personal footage.

Zen and The Art of Non Objectification of Sensory Data.
I am sure you could say more to that than I can compadre.

I have no practice anymore
not since I left the road
maybe I never did
except for sitting here
as if this is practice for anything
Last edited by stilltrucking on April 30th, 2009, 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » April 30th, 2009, 4:02 pm

missed your reply in there cecil I was replying while you was

okay but just don't try to highjack anymore posts of mine (laughing out lould almost)
you know it was just a little too got darned ironic you appoologizing to me about getting off on a tangent

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » April 30th, 2009, 4:12 pm

I just listened to the NPR report on that book.

I'm in the company of one, i guess. i was surprised by these various known people who had seen movies that changed them.

Maybe some other S8'ers will play. I'd like to know how a movie changes people... something that wasn't completely clear to me in the report.

Return to “Literature & Film”