The Essential Kerouac

Discuss books & films.
izeveryboyin

The Essential Kerouac

Post by izeveryboyin » September 7th, 2004, 6:53 pm

Popular word in the literary commuity is that the essential Kerouc is of course "on the Road", the book that "defined a generation." Although I was riveted by the novel, and it was in fact my first Kerouac experience, it was not the best. In all the novels of his that I have read, "Orpheus Emerged" "The Dharma Bums" "Visions of Cody", the one that seemed to be the essential Kerouac was "Desolation Angels". It was a thrilling, raw look into his mind, and a great sequence of events upon which to base his fantastic story. It showed, as most of his novels did, his love for travel, but also a depth, a sensitivity that his other novels did not convey as sincerely. There were moments in the book where you were enlived, enraptured. The books starts with a book, and you're hooked. Throughout the pages, he gets you with his endless search. He speend the book looking for something that doesn't exist until he sees it. I found myself more in touch with Kerouac, after reading the novel, and upon completion found that it was much more easy to breeze through his other novels, which, aside from "On the Road", were somewhat of a mystery to me. After reading "Visions of Cody", and taking a repulsive two months to complete it, I was feeling depressed, because I just wasn't getting it, you know? I couldn't understand what was so great about this big VOID, or why it had to be spoken about. I knew their purpose, but what did it mean? Especially to someone whom, upon introduction, was only 13. What made it so fun and right and good for them? And then, I read "Desolation Angels", and that's when I got it, you know. It made sense. It was like reading "On the Road" for the first time all over again, but only better, and truer. THERE, you know, as clear as it'd ever been. And from that day forward, I wanted more of it. As much as I can stand. The real essential Kerouac re-instated in me that feeling of whimsy and interest and discovery that "On the Road" had at first prompted in me. And since then, I've aquired a Kerouac library of over 15 books that includes "The Town and the City", "The Subterraneans" "Mexico City Blues", and a 1st edition hardback copy of "Desoaltion Angels" displayed high upon the wall in a darling glass case.***

***Be it known to the public that I paid ridiculous amounts of money to have the damn thing sized and put in a case , and an equally ridiculous price just to buy it. (this is to show my love and admiration for the novel)
sometimes I just like to breathe.

www.technicolorfraud.blogspot.com

e_dog

Post by e_dog » September 7th, 2004, 10:17 pm

i have thought that Desolations Angels is one of his best. but though the whole is somewhat too confused, like formally, to be a whole, there are passages of Visions of Cody that are among the best writing Kerouac produced, in my opinion.
I don't think 'Therefore, I am.' Therefore, I am.

WIREMAN

Post by WIREMAN » September 8th, 2004, 3:37 pm

for my money mexico city blues is his finest bop prosody....mark

Dave The Dov

Post by Dave The Dov » September 8th, 2004, 3:51 pm

Mexico City Blues was the first book that I read by Jack Kerouac. From there it got the ball rolling for me.
Last edited by Dave The Dov on March 2nd, 2009, 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

izeveryboyin

Post by izeveryboyin » September 9th, 2004, 4:43 pm

Mexico City Blues is the best collection of his poetry--- bar none! Visions of Cody was a bit hard to understand the first time around, but after reading Desolation Angels, it sorta pulled itself together and made since for me.
sometimes I just like to breathe.

www.technicolorfraud.blogspot.com

Dave The Dov

Post by Dave The Dov » September 9th, 2004, 4:51 pm

"The night is young and full of rest, I can't describe the way she dress'd"

Say where does this saying come from????
Last edited by Dave The Dov on March 2nd, 2009, 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

firsty

Post by firsty » September 13th, 2004, 6:11 pm

fact: desolation angels is the one. tell me where you live and i'll steal your 1st ed.

Artguy

JK

Post by Artguy » September 19th, 2004, 8:46 pm

Said it before and I'll say it again .....Some Of The Dharma....is all you need to know... :D

e_dog

Post by e_dog » September 29th, 2004, 1:19 pm

Mex Cit Blus is cool, but also quite worthy o praise is

BOOK OF BLUES.

e_dog

Post by e_dog » September 29th, 2004, 1:20 pm

and o course, Book o Haikus.

knip

Post by knip » September 29th, 2004, 9:39 pm

i've only read otr and sur

liked both but otr better

i am told dharma bums is the one i should read

i saw a new one in the bookstore...newly released book from way back before town and the city....anybody read that?

Dave The Dov

Post by Dave The Dov » September 30th, 2004, 10:48 am

Hmmmm new Kerouac book. I'll have to look for that one.

Return to “Literature & Film”