Duke

Discuss books & films.
Artguy

Duke

Post by Artguy » January 13th, 2011, 1:33 pm

Red On White by Marty Dunn
Loved this book. It was written in 1970 as a tribute to my friend, mentor, and healer Duke Redbird. I have only met him in recent years, but I have had small interactions with him since I saw him carving a totem pole in downtown Toronto at the age of 6. Duke has always and still is an activist for truth. He is an Ojibwa shaman, raised by white folks through tragedy. It wasn't until he was 20 that he began to realize he can be a redman and live as a redman in a white world. From that point on he has been educating his people and fighting for the enforcement of 200 year old treaties. Now at 71 years old he is a mentor to the aboriginal population at the Ontario College Of Art and Design University, as well as to this weird white guy. He runs a native story telling centre and resort in the far reaches of northern Ontario, and has been given the honour of choosing a new totem for all of Canada's native peoples. He is an Artist and an outstanding Poet with several publications to his credit.His work is important and he approaches every day with the smile of a 10 year old boy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9_gbYRA ... re=related

judih
Site Admin

Re: Duke

Post by judih » January 13th, 2011, 2:52 pm

excellent! thank you, kurt

Return to “Literature & Film”