Surviving Picasso

Discuss books & films.
Artguy

Surviving Picasso

Post by Artguy » July 19th, 2011, 10:47 am

Watched Surviving Picasso last night. The story of maestro and his dames. At first i thought he was arrogant and a slave master to them, but he was that way with everyone. My conclusion was he never grew up, he was an emotional child who covered his insecurity with with bravado and machismo...but what an Artist...I forgive him. the film was made through the eyes of Francoise Gilot, the mother of Paloma and Claude Picasso. Francoise was a submissive waif under the cruel control of her father,when they met, albeit 30 years his junior. The experience of her slavery to the maestro made her strong enough to leave him and make a life of her own as a successful Artist and Writer. She is still alive today. The last surviving wife of Pablo.

Postscript: I have been thinking about this idea and I have another theory. Picasso was a genius, and like many others, wether scientists, writers etc., he didn't know there was any other way of being and thought others to be drowning in their own obligatory morality. He could very well thought that having several partners and enslaving everyone around him was the freedom he expected from life.
His expression as an Artist was not bound by the shackles of convention so why should he be.
Another note, all these women, as well as everyone around him loved him unconditionally, offered themselves to his alter as a selfless sacrifice. Some even committed suicide after his passing.

http://www.francoisegilot.com/frames.html

Return to “Literature & Film”