Pi

Discuss books & films.
Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Pi

Post by Doreen Peri » July 17th, 2005, 2:11 pm

Has anybody else seen "Pi"?

I just saw it last night.

Black & white.... excellent cinematography.... strange story.

If you saw it, what did you think of it?

Dave The Dov

Post by Dave The Dov » July 17th, 2005, 3:43 pm

The Sundance channel is showing it this month. I've seen only a small scene from it. But from what I saw it looks really good. I'll keep an eye out for it so I can see the whole thing.
Last edited by Dave The Dov on March 15th, 2009, 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » July 17th, 2005, 8:28 pm

It's weird dave. Jimboloco told me about it. I thought I had seen it but I can't remember anthing about it. :? Yeah I did see it, I am sure of it. Just don't remember much about it. Maybe it scared the bejeezus out of me and I am repressing it. I usualy have a pretty good memory for movies. And I saw it only a few months ago. I just did not get into it, just didn't grab me. Was it gorey, a lot of blood and guts? Would jog my memory? I think I just did not like it very much. Did not hold my interest. Bugs me that I am having a senior moment here.

thanks

I got Foucault's Pendulum on my book wish list.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0345368 ... eader-link
Foucault's Pendulum by Kubrick
Eco revealed in 2005 that after the film adaptation of The Name of the Rose, he no longer wished his novels to be made into films. However, he later heard that Stanley Kubrick had expressed interest in filming Foucault's Pendulum shortly before his death, and wished, along with his readers, that Kubrick had tackled the project. Truly a magnificent might-have-been of literary and film history!
http://www.themodernword.com/eco/eco_film.html

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » July 19th, 2005, 2:26 pm

Pi - one well done sick fucking film...

YABYUM

Post by YABYUM » July 19th, 2005, 3:05 pm

same dude made "momento", right?

that was a great film.
http://frombeerstobabies.blogspot.com/

e_dog

Post by e_dog » July 20th, 2005, 3:03 pm

Pi is to Beautiful Mind what Carrie is to Teen Wolf.

(figure that one out.)
I don't think 'Therefore, I am.' Therefore, I am.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » August 2nd, 2005, 3:35 pm

I been watching it again Doreen
Did you read the notes on the DVD? They made that supper computer in his crib out of junk they found in dumpsters. Low low budget, but the photography is brilliant. Did you notice the line to the right side of the screen in the opening scene? Maybe it just my DVD player but there is a line running down the right side of the film. As if it is not lined up properly. Deliberate? That first scene in the dinner where the cigarette smoke wafts by and the other guy says “It’s okay I’m a Jew.” And kind of does a weird things with his eyes. I got a bad feeling there. I think the movie scared me. Maybe that is why I remember so little. That guy creeped me out

Yeah a hell of a movie, right on the edge of sanity and insanity.
And I totally blocked it out which is so strange. I still can’t remember most of it.
Let you know what I think when I see more. Just dicking around :oops: (sorry Dorren I thought this was dave's post) because the only other thing to do is to get down to work. Oh yeah the music. The throbbing music sounds like high voltage flowing through a grid as the stock symbols flash across the screen as he circles stocks on the newspaper and the screen scrolls the numbers and symbols then the shot of the super computer in his crib. Excellent just artistically beautiful but difficult for me to watch. Maybe I need a shave? If I finish watching it I will get back to you.

Here is a recent picture of me. That jew in the deli he must not be married, I think. My bubbie used to joke about my beard, she said only married men should have beards
just joking about the recent this thing must be over a hundred years old, the man I was named for.
j
Pi - one well done sick fucking film...
yep there it is in a nut shell.

Dave The Dov

Post by Dave The Dov » August 2nd, 2005, 9:08 pm

Yeah wasn't that guy orthodox???? If so should he not be smoking????
Last edited by Dave The Dov on March 15th, 2009, 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » August 4th, 2005, 12:01 pm

I don't think that matters dave, but I know nothing about the religion. I went to visit Crazy Mike's grave one time and I asked the old gate keeper if I should put my cigarette out. He said it did not matter about the smoking but that I should put my hat on. Workman's Circle cemetary in baltimore. About as hard core orthodox as it gets I think. Still trying to make myself watch it again. Realized it has to do more with the lust for power than anything else. I still don't remember much about it. Strange how repression works.
9:13 peronal note, when I was six my mother told me not to stare into the sun...
I been watching it and taking notes. Going to try my hand at deconstructing the movie. Unemcumbered as I am by any idea of what that means.

It is one hell of a movie.

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » July 17th, 2006, 10:42 am

I saw the film yesterday. Great!!. If you have big headaches at least twice a month you can't avoid to feel some kind of empathy towards Max.

bohonato

Post by bohonato » July 18th, 2006, 6:22 pm

Oh, jeez, the drill at the end...

still.trucking

Re: Pi

Post by still.trucking » July 22nd, 2012, 6:05 pm

get real.jpg
get real.jpg (6.17 KiB) Viewed 5477 times
Today is 22/7
lets all celebrate Pi day
Attachments
pie r square.jpg
pie r square.jpg (18.89 KiB) Viewed 5477 times
"Natural selection, as it has operated in human history, favors not only the clever but the murderous." Barbara Ehrenreich

Free Rice

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » January 30th, 2013, 10:16 pm

yesterday I saw "The life of Pi", full technicolor: what I liked the most was the music and the sea moods :D

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » February 1st, 2013, 8:30 pm

Hola, Veronica! SooZen and I also saw "The Life of Pi" and were additionally rewarded by seeing the movie in 3D, which we didn't expect when we purchased the tickets. Another positive was the two of us and one other couple were the only people at the first showing for that day.

It was a wonderful movie with a great soundtrack, an unique and fascinating story and with brilliant special effects that staggered the imagination. What else could anyone expect from a movie..? :)

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » February 7th, 2013, 8:17 pm

in 3D have must be amazing, but I have a lot of imagination!!!!!! :lol: :wink: Great that you both enjoyed the film! :)

here´s a link to the soundtrack:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCzOK6p1sUo

Return to “Literature & Film”