Mysticism

Discuss books & films.
K&D

Mysticism

Post by K&D » June 16th, 2006, 1:34 pm

I want to know about mysticism....what should i read.

i'm working on the book The Variety of Religious Experiences by William James but its prety dense. its a big fucking book too.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » June 16th, 2006, 3:01 pm

I don't know sparky, but I just heard of a Thomas Merton a couple days ago. I suppose that would be number one on my wish list. There is another one that I am actualy reading that is very nice. The Art of Happiness, a conversation between the Dalai Lama and an american pyschiatrist. I been sipping at it like Tennessee Whiskey.

I thought this was a pretty good, hook line from the Thomas Merton website, I got to go duty calls, I will post a link to quote later

"the ineluctible modalities of the visible"

nice to see ya

K&D

Post by K&D » June 16th, 2006, 5:39 pm

living in Austin now....well still going to school in Santa Fe, but now during the summer i'm here where my mom has a job.
Blah!

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » June 16th, 2006, 9:35 pm

yeah I have never seen the good side of austin, just the warehouses. Listne I got to look or goog.le mysticism, but thatto me does not the mean supernatural. I am also reading Still Here by Ram Dass, nee Richard Alpert, Tim'sbudy back at harvard. but that is about old farts like me.

still no link to merton, but I cill check it our. I been reading Fromm on human destuctiveness and think about you some times. just trying to type as fast as i can here edit later

that bit I quoted from merton about modalites reminds me a lot of Husserl, I love old men who are still a danger to the state when they are in theire eighties. George Fox anothher hero of mine, The cia keeping a file on him four hundred years after he died. About as mystical as I have ever gotten was the quackers, the religious society of ducks, but I have learned that all quaker meetings are not the same, some even have preachers, othhers just have clerks, silent meetings waitin on the spirit which is not supernatural to me either.

I been trying to get through Santayana's The idea of Christ in THe Gospels,

got to go. Try to clean the typos later.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » June 17th, 2006, 2:23 am

I almost forgot. Congratulations on surviving a bitch sophomore year.

uGo Ali.

gypsyjoker

Post by gypsyjoker » June 17th, 2006, 5:32 am

stilltrucking "the pseudo expert " on mysticism" I was going to get a domain name called self-flames.com, but mnaz beat me too it. I was clicking around on trailer park trying to find out if I remembered how to spell Ali/aly

stilltrucking said:
Regan gave me the He B G Bee's and Nancy more so. Remember that woman who was his astrologer? No I guess you don't. But anyway Nancy was into a lot of mumbo jumbo weird new age mysticism. They say Regan made political decisions base on astrology.

http://www.studioeight.tv/phpbb/viewtop ... c&start=30

I read a couple hundred pages of Madame Blavatsky's Baboon , it was pretty interesting but I did not finish it.
Amazon.com: Madame Blavatsky's Baboon : A History of the Mystics, Mediums, and Misfits Who Brought Spiritualism to Ameri ca: Books: Peter Washington by ...
I believe in Astrology too, alchemy, you bet, I just don't see nothing supernatural about it.
Impossible to sleep yet, tunned to classical station, soon as the right music comes on I will sleep like a baby.

I don't know I am thinking of Poly Ester brides, something about romance, LT had a nice bit on creative something like "romance is a dish best served surreal" Thinking polyester brides who find their dream mate in the stars. I am still a hopeless romantic, I look up in the trees to see if my true love is sitting on a branch waiting for to catch her in my arms.

Enjoy your summer.
jt
Free Rice
Avatar Courtesy of the Baron de Hirsch Fund

'Blessed is he who was not born, Or he, who having been born, has died. But as for us who live, woe unto us, Because we see the afflictions of Zion, And what has befallen Jerusalem." Pseudepigrapha

e_dog

Post by e_dog » June 30th, 2006, 2:16 am

stick with James. stick with it. He's a genius. never have read the whole thing of that book, tho, just the Conclusion and Postscript, all of which is sorta like a theoretical summary, conclusions drawn from the rest, so i'm told by the author himself.

like to hear what you think about it.

in any case, there ain't know experts on mysticism. that's my mysticynicism. anyone tells you he knows what mysticism is, is talking out his ass.

mysticism is just a fancy name for all the forms of wild and wacky, ineffable and efforvescent modes of spirituality that organized religion and codified creeds, much less science and rationality, cannot handle or get a grasp on.

Return to “Literature & Film”