Montster's From The Id

Discuss books & films.
stilltrucking

Montster's From The Id

Post by stilltrucking » February 21st, 2007, 12:28 am

The sex-lib crowd "tried to drive religious and moral nature out with a pitchfork, but found that nature only returned through the back door, in the form of a monster"
Monsters From the Id: The Rise of Horror in Fiction and Film
by Michael E. Jones

That's what E. Michael Jones says in his strikingly original and insightful book, Monsters from the Id: The Rise of Horror in Fiction and Film. Jones demonstrates that the horror flicks that litter the American cultural landscape aren't just market-driven trash. Instead, they express much-denied truths about human nature and morality —- often quite apart from the intentions of their creators.
Maybe he is distorting Freud, but it sounds interesting. Hell everybody distorts Freud. Freud distorted Freud.

I was raised on distortions of Freud.

By the time i was 12 I had a belly full of Freud. My father believed in the holy trinity of the Id, Ego, and Superego.

http://www.conservativebookservice.com/ ... 8#continue

e_dog

Post by e_dog » March 8th, 2007, 8:34 pm

this is a complete turning Freud on his head.

through sexual liberation we try to repress our "moral" human nature.

kind of like trying to argue Nietzsche's a true Christian.

but the idea that the Alien movies are about ABORTION is pure genius, even if the guy gets it all wrong.

Fetuses ARE aliens! That's why they should be aborted (no offense to all you muthas, and muthafuckas, out there).
I don't think 'Therefore, I am.' Therefore, I am.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » March 8th, 2007, 8:57 pm

I was thinking about a conversation we had on mystic arts last august.
http://studioeight.tv/phpbb/viewtopic.p ... c&start=15

I have to get back to you later on this, too pooped to think right now.

e-dog said:
Pasting
there's actually a book called ... Monsters from the Id!

by a fella by the name of Jones, described in the bio blurb as a cultural critic.

they say you can't judge a book by its cover, which is true, but you can usually judge a book by its inside cover flap, if it has one. this one made me want to not read the book, after an initial excitment.

this guy, assuming the editors got it right, seems to be a counter-Freud, arguing that the fascination with monsters from Frankenstein and Dracula to Aliens in Western popular culture is all ultimately about sexuality. sounds psychoanalytic, eh? the catch, the moral is (and yes, there's a moral) that we need to repudiate the sexual revolution and acknowledge the importance of objective morality (!) because otherwise, the "moral order" will reassert itself in the form of avenging monsters in the individual psyche and collective representations of culture.

apparently, what led to Frankenstein was an alleged transformation in sexual mores in revolutionary France. and Alien is (and this obsrvation is truly brilliant) really a screenplay about abortion (in the episode where Ripley gets knocked up? or was he interpreting the ordinary birth of the Aliens from their hosts chests (including males) as like . . . birth?) not clear what the author's moral stance of that is supposed to lead to (since the cover flap description didn't say), but its a great test case for Christians, no? SO, you're opposed to abortion even in cases of incest and rape? what if a human is impreganted by an extraterrestrial?

the real problem is that, again judging from the summary without reading the book, is that this guy is totally distorting Freud. these sound like more like monsters from the superego not the id.

you ever see this book, stilltru?

if so what thinks you 'bout it?
Last edited by stilltrucking on March 10th, 2007, 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

e_dog

Post by e_dog » March 9th, 2007, 3:09 am

look, theres nothin wrong wit distorting Freud. But too turn him into some kinda Christian conservative is a bit much, eh?

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » March 11th, 2007, 8:57 am

What is the word I am looking for?
Sophism?
If a preacher on TV can quote Einstein that atheist to support creationism
"God does not play dice with the universe"
Why not Freud?

Not easy for me to be objective about Freud
I studied him for years; the way people read holy texts.
Looking for a cure to my sickness.

Little did I know that I was the disease; a disease called man.

While Brown’s emphasis on the infant’s psychical vulnerability was true to Freud, his one-sided denigration of the ego was not. According to Brown, what psychoanalysis considered the goals of development - ‘personal autonomy, genital sexuality, sublimation’ - were all forms of repression. Above all Brown criticized psychoanalysis for endorsing dualism: the separation of the soul (or psyche) from the body. The true aim of psychoanalysis, he argued, should be to reunite the two. This can be achieved by returning men and women to the ‘polymorphous perversity’ of early infancy, a state that corresponds to transcendence of the self found in art and play and known to the great Christian mystics, such as William Blake and Jakob Boehme. The key was to give up the ego’s strivings for self-preservation; genital organization, Brown wrote, ‘is a formation of the ego not yet strong enough to die’. Brown called repression the ‘universal neurosis of mankind’, a neurosis that every individual suffered.
the universal neurosis of mankind

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » December 4th, 2007, 8:11 am

this is a spin over from the link about norman mailer

i have thought somewhat about this development stuff versus ego transcendence, and beoieve that the development tasks are true and necessary, trust and autonomy the cornerstones

transcendencr is an adult function, but requires a developed psyche to attain this non-attainment state, and does not pre-clude the rational autonomous psuche, but rather compliments or envelopes it
[color=darkcyan]i'm on a survival mission
yo ho ho an a bottle of rum om[/color]

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » December 4th, 2007, 1:33 pm

Yes yes yes
thank you jimbo.

Just your opening remarks so far. You leaving me in the dust with the transcender part. That is something I would like to reply to latter. I think I may be too much under influences of documented side effects of certain old hippy medications. Let me just start with mailer, that is easier for me now.

I have know a lot of veterans jim, not just known them like sitting in a coffee shop in san antone at four in the morning and the guy on the next stool to me is wearing an satin jacket with the insignia of his outfit from when he was a participant in the south east asian war games of the sixties and seventines, a black horsey on a yellow shield, I suppose it was a calvary unit. How the subject came up I don't remember, but I think I could if i tried, but for now i want to try not to get side tracked anymore than I am, jesus: them commas are getting boring I better use a period pretty soon, any how my neighbor with the yellow horse told me that they teased him at work when he came home from vietnam. he was a postal worker, they would ask him if he killed anyone. and he would answer, "not today."

No I have known veterans from three wars intimately, as intimate as it gets running a sleeper team through the blizzards out west.

Everyone of those guys the ones that had seen it not from a desk job back at fort dix but right up close like maggots in their eyes, everyone one of those guys was the salt of the earth.

But I have talked to other veterans who I wonder about. One guy on the phone one night at the rosewater foundation told me he was a world war two vet. His solution to the ungrateful bastards in Iraq was to nuke them.

Obviously he had never walked the streets of of nagasaki with Ferlinghetti.

So Mailer was the real deal, I suppose. He went on one combat mission and wrote a great novel about it. Vonnegut was at the battle of the bulge, "a scout living behind enemy lines in useful terror , thinking mindlessly with his spinal cord" Spent seven months as a POW and witnessed the firebombing of Dresden. He adopted his sister's children when she died young. Pulitzer prizes, Mailer 2, Vonnegut 0. I realize this is not about comparing one writer to another who am I to judge. It is not about nice guys, it is about great literature. so I supppose vonnegut will always be a trashy quasi sci fi writer and mailer will be studied by scholars a thousand years from now.

Obviouly you can see now why I can't write about transcendence with then you now.

But I am too stoned all I can do is ramble right now
"I am the only hell my mama ever raised
she told me not to smoke it"

moron this later:

have thought somewhat about this development stuff versus ego transcendence, and beoieve that the development tasks are true and necessary, trust and autonomy the cornerstones

transcendencr is an adult function, but requires a developed psyche to attain this non-attainment state, and does not pre-clude the rational autonomous psuche, but rather compliments or envelopes it
Transcending Mailer
I just never could get interested in mailer. He writes so in authentically about violence I judge him on these words
Mailer wrote: "The psychopath murders -- if he has the courage -- out of the necessity to purge his violence, for if he cannot empty his hatred, then he cannot love."
What puts the ape in apricot? the cowardly lion asked.

Courage!

Diana Moon Glampers

Post by Diana Moon Glampers » December 4th, 2007, 2:00 pm

Fucking old fool

Not that intimately jim,
not as intimately as one combat veteran knows another

It was a don't ask don't tell situation.

War was seldom the topic of conversation

They could not help mentioning it once in a while

One a big old pooh bear of a man mentioned that he could not watch slasher movies because of the decapitation sceenes.

Or another one who told me a story about something that happened in an alley behind a bar when he first came home.

sometimes I felt like a chaplin's assistant.

Free Rice

"a sixty-eight-year-old virgin who, by almost anybody's standards, was too dumb to live. Her name was Diana Moon Glampers."

e_dog

Post by e_dog » December 4th, 2007, 5:29 pm

sometimes I felt like a chaplin's assistant.
what's that a piece of furniture, like a dumbwaiter?

There taint no transcendence of the Ego, ergo, no go.

it's a

EGO = EGOLESSNESS

= LESS NESS, MORE MONSTERS

from da ID, yo.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » December 4th, 2007, 6:11 pm

I don't really quite get transcendent e-dog. I got a slight autism problem with words. jimbo called me his favorite "word kook" once. I thought it was high praise coming from him.

What interests me about Divine Ludvig is his plain spoken language. Something that seems like a simplification of Husserlian jargon.

I have started reading The Blue Book again. [u]Locality[/u]. I know at one point LW considered himself a phenomenologist, they say he was influenced by Husserl.

WITTGENSTEIN AND DECONSTRUCTION

"You could say of my work that it is phenomenology." Solstice

For over two decades scholars have been writing and debating about Wittgenstein's relationship to phenomenology. During his so-called "middle" period (1929-33), Wittgenstein used the term "phenomenology" in a positive sense, including an entire chapter entitled "Phenomenology is Grammar" in the "Big Typescript" of 1933. Although some commentators believe that Wittgenstein was influenced by Husserl's Logical Investigations early on, it is clear that his later work, if it can be called phenomenology, is very different from orthodox Husserlianism.

http://www.class.uidaho.edu/ngier/WittDeCon.htm
Speaking of this
Phenomenology is Grammar"
METHOD No periods separating sentence-structures already arbitrarily riddled by false colons and timid usually needless commas-but the vigorous space dash separating rhetorical breathing (as jazz musician drawing breath between outblown phrases)--"measured pauses which are the essentials of our speech"--"divisions of the sounds we hear"-"time and how to note it down." (William Carlos Williams)
http://www.writing.upenn.edu/~afilreis/ ... neous.html
I thought that was pretty phenomenal writing. "time and how to note it down"

I think he is quoting William Carlos Williams. Kerouac drives me to despair, he breaks all the rules because he knows them.

And I don't know jack shit about it.

Ah just self pity
"a pirate looks at seventy"
Commas put me in comas
semi colons leave me semi conscious
periods dot my run on sentences
my prose has paws at the ends of its claws

Locality a mind fuck for me the past week or so.
Wittengenstein left me his lunch
but the rye bread is kind of moldy
ergo or ergot
very trippy
I was stuck in quasi spatial confustion.
two inches behind my nose.

e_dog

Post by e_dog » December 4th, 2007, 9:50 pm

Wittgenstein was a phenomenon not a phenomenologist.

Husserl wrote Logical Investigations, Witt. writ. Philosophical Investigations. there must be a connection.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » December 5th, 2007, 2:11 am

Beats me e-dog. Wittgenstein called himself a phenomenologist for a while anyway. During his middle period.

Phenomenologists believe that knowledge and understanding are embedded in our everyday world. In other words, they do not believe knowledge can be quantified or reduced to numbers or statistics.(4) Phenomonologists believe that truth and understanding of life can emerge from people's life experiences. Although phenomenologists share this belief, they have developed more than one approach to gain understanding of human knowledge.
---Mae West.

I have no chance of understanding much of it. But it keeps me occupied. Keeps my geezer brain from setting up like concrete.

I been thinking about perozosos post about the art of trolling. It seems to me it takes two to troll.

Watch out for johnny paycheck, don't eat the mock turtle soup.

Have some fried sour cream and apple sauce, take two aspirins and call me in the morning.

sleep tight sweet prince

don't click this link

Return to “Literature & Film”