The City of God

Discuss books & films.
stilltrucking

The City of God

Post by stilltrucking » April 4th, 2007, 3:50 pm

City of God
by E.L. Doctorow

So the theory has it that the universe expanded exponentially from a point, a singular space/time point, a moment/thing, some original particulate event or quantum substantive happenstance, to an extent that the word explosion is inadequate, though the theory is known as the Big Bang. What we are supposed to keep in mind, in our mind, is that the universe didn't burst out into pre-existent available space, it was the space that blew out, taking everything with it in a great expansive flowering, a silent flash into being in a second or two of the entire outrushing universe of gas and matter and darkness-light, a cosmic floop of nothing into the volume and chronology of spacetime. Okay?

And universal history since has seen a kind of evolution of star matter, of elemental dust, nebulae, burning, glowing, pulsing, everything flying away from everything else for the last fifteen or so billion years.

But what does it mean that the original singularity, or the singular originality, which included in its submicroscopic being all space, all time, that was to voluminously suddenly and monumentally erupt into concepts that we can understand, or learn-what does it mean to say that ... the universe did not blast into being through space but that space, itself a property of the universe, is what blasted out along with everything in it? What does it mean to say that space is what expanded, stretched, flowered? Into what? The universe expanding even now its galaxies of burning suns, dying stars, metallic monuments of stone, clouds of cosmic dust, must be filling ... something. If it is expanding it has perimeters, at present far beyond any ability of ours to measure. What do things look like just at the instant's action at the edge of the universe? What is just beyond that rushing, overwhelming parametric edge before it is overwhelmed? What is being overcome, filled, enlivened, lit? Or is there no edge, no border, but an infinite series of universes expanding into one another, all at the same time? So that the expanding expands futilely into itself, an infinitely convoluting dark matter of ghastly insensate endlessness, with no properties, no volume, no transformative elemental energies of light or force or pulsing quanta, all these being inventions of our own consciousness, and our consciousness, lacking volume and physical quality in itself, a project as finally mindless, cold, and inhuman as the universe of our illusion.

I would like to find an astronomer to talk to. I think how people numbed themselves to survive the camps. So do astronomers deaden themselves to the starry universe? I mean, seeing the universe as a job? (Not to exonerate the rest of us, who are given these painful intimations of the universal vastness and then go about our lives as if it is no more than an exhibit at the Museum of Natural History.) Does the average astronomer doing his daily work understand that beyond the celestial phenomena given to his study, the calculations of his radiometry, to say nothing of the obligated awe of his professional life, lies a truth so monumentally horrifying-this ultimate context of our striving, this conclusion of our historical intellects so hideous to contemplate-that even one's turn to God cannot alleviate the misery of such profound, disastrous, hopeless infinitude? That's my question. In fact if God is involved in this matter, these elemental facts, these apparent concepts, He is so fearsome as to be beyond any human entreaty for our solace, or comfort, or the redemption that would come of our being brought into His secret.
http://www.bookbrowse.com/excerpts/inde ... number=318

I bought it for 50 cents, I wonder if I will read it? Right now it is a total mind fuk for me. I sort of believed in the big bang but what now? Up against the void, teetering on the edge of my mind. Stop the merry go round of intellectualization.

e_dog

Post by e_dog » April 4th, 2007, 8:01 pm

Ain't that a novel by Augustine somebody?

Louis St. Augustine? Larry maybe?

oh yeah
it's:

Florida St Augustine as in
St. Augustine, Florida.
I don't think 'Therefore, I am.' Therefore, I am.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » April 4th, 2007, 9:43 pm

You know I never new that or if I did I must have forgot. The only thing I know about St Augustine is this quote from Husserl, “One may still say with Augustine: si nemo a me quaerat, scio, si quaerenti explicare velim, nesico.”

I will probably never get past the first page of this novel because it is like a long koan for me. A mind tripper. Have you ever tried to visualize the Big Bang? No space, no time so exactly where was this point in space and time. I suppose a Zen Buddhist or a quantum mechanic could tell me.
So the theory has it that the universe expanded exponentially from a point, a singular space/time point, a moment/thing, some original particulate event or quantum substantive happenstance, to an extent that the word explosion is inadequate, though the theory is known as the Big Bang..

e_dog

Post by e_dog » December 5th, 2007, 1:09 am

translate dat Husserl quote.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » December 5th, 2007, 1:47 am

why should i?
and do you want the Po Mo snappy answer or the Greek

something like this but not quite:
Time, if nobody asks me I know what it is. if some one does axe me what it is I am stumped.

I been playing beat the clock a lot lately.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=d9d-BXBq94Q

e_dog

Post by e_dog » December 5th, 2007, 2:17 am

Time dey sells dat on newsstand. terr'ble mag. full of sluts and hustlers.

call'd poli-tishians.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » December 5th, 2007, 2:25 am

Too bad about Life
Life is defunct
But Time keeps dragging on

e_dog

Post by e_dog » December 5th, 2007, 5:54 pm

yes, sad fact o the universe
even when Life ends
Time continues

whither People?

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » December 6th, 2007, 2:36 am

People are going to be fine
Plenty of people
We are up to our ass in people
But I am worried about the cockroaches

I have read that the earth could support a population of fifty billion
but of course it would require some tough sacrifices, no more wars for example. But we would still have monday night football and the world cup.
And the infernal combustion engine must go. NASCAR will just have to adjust to the changes.

But is it worth it?
War is so lovely
I am afraid people will lose their sense of purpose with out a military victory to celebrate now and then.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » December 6th, 2007, 1:37 pm

my sense of humor may not be sardonic enough.

Transcendent my ass
What we are supposed to keep in mind, in our mind, is that the universe didn't burst out into pre-existent available space, it was the space that blew out, taking everything with it in a great expansive flowering, a silent flash into being in a second or two of the entire outrushing universe of gas and matter and darkness-light, a cosmic floop of nothing into the volume and chronology of spacetime. Okay?

e_dog

Post by e_dog » December 6th, 2007, 9:52 pm

Dick Cheney is an extra rodeo clown. from Whyhoming?

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » December 7th, 2007, 3:57 am

It is all too zen for me
the english army won the war
have a lotke

Return to “Literature & Film”