Moderator: judih

judih
Site Admin

january 29th

Post by judih » January 28th, 2008, 11:17 pm

it's cold, raining and windy
the windchimes are lovely but noisy
the leaves of the pecan tree are swishing
it's still dark outside this five thirteen a.m.

why so early?
i've been getting up at 4
thanks to the fact that i'm exhausted by 8:30 p.m.
this is, as you may guess, a viscious cycle. one can't go to sleep so early without waking up ridiculously early.
and here i am, alone with the weather, dreading the notion that i have to be a good girl and go to work.

what would happen if during the really severe weather days, we could just all say 'forget it' and return to the wonder of our private worlds.
In some lands, that would be called a snow day - perfectly acceptable.
here, there's no snow. The worst we get is this - wet and muddy days.

We pull out our tractor mind and brave these storms. we push onwards, we go to our schools with nowhere to hang coats. We swish through puddles with no hint of drainage. We're flat country so there's a nice even puddle everywhere.

The wheat perks up and the piles of manure stink to high heaven, but the miserable worker has nothing to look forward to but wet socks and endless cups of tea.

And to think, i've got a hot collection of Dylan DVDs that require watching.
oh, i want a weather day.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » January 30th, 2008, 12:55 am

The weather here has been beautiful. Rained a couple days, but warm. I am about a 150 miles from the Gulf of Mexico and when the weather comes in from that direction I can smell the sea. Going to ride my motor cycle to New Berlin tomorrow weather permitting. Going to bake a pie for my sister and brother in law who I affectionately call The Bear. Trying to figure out how I am going to carry a pie on a motor cycle.

These are my golden years, I got the social security check coming in and a part time job that allows we to keep my own hours.

It was such a great year for pecans, the trees are all around my apartment, like manna from heaven. I never did get to bake a pecan pie, maybe next year.

I think my favorite trees are the live oaks, green in the dead of winter.

Speaking of music I think this might be the best song billy joel ever wrote

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Bs4k_4jCE18&re ... ram><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Bs4k_4jCE18&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Makes a nice history lesson I think
http://www.teacheroz.com/fire.htm

Picked up an interesting book today about symbols

Archetypes & Strange Attractors
The Chaotic World of Symbols.

This is the bit that caught my eye
You don't see something until you have the right metaphor to let you perceive it.
Robert Stetson Shaw.

tinkerjack

Post by tinkerjack » January 30th, 2008, 11:17 am

Sorry I can't log into S8 as stilltrucking on this computer.
This just in. . . the universe is made up entirely of triangles.
http://viewfromthetrekant.blogspot.com/ ... verse.html

Did you like to jump in puddles when you were a kid? Or is that a guy thing?
free rice

I used to be smart

MrGuilty

Post by MrGuilty » January 31st, 2008, 5:58 am

It was the early seventies and we were all reading Be Here Now and richard alpert wannaabees.

It was my first hallucination. Those interlocked triangles.
I used to be smart

Free Rice

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » January 31st, 2008, 1:19 pm

I can relate with what you say here... specially concerning with last winter and working in a semi-country place with no estufas ni gas!! (they promise to do the connection and some for this year, let´s see). Maybe that´s why I´m enjoying this summer more than I´m used to!!
snow today in Jerusalem! also where you are?

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » January 31st, 2008, 1:55 pm

being here now
that's the best place to be
here is western negev, arcadia.
not the part that got some snow - Mitzpeh Ramon (the crater place), Dimona and Sde Boker (Ben Gurion's kibbutz) all got snow. Jerusalem got snow. There was snow in the north.

We don't get snow - just lots of wind. lots of broken branches on the sidewalks, thick deep puddles.

Still-t, i used to love jumping in puddles when i was the proud wearer of those lovely high rubber boots. loved being waterproof.
now, i have no such equipment, and have to seek out dryer patches amidst the swirling wet.

It's warmer today. Ten degrees celcius. And it smells like spring used to smell in Canada. There are flowers and the fields are brilliant green.

WIREMAN

Post by WIREMAN » January 31st, 2008, 7:39 pm

snow on the desert
where do palm trees hide?

Return to “judih's Inner Jams”