Dead Drunk

Truckin'. Still truckin'...

Moderator: stilltrucking

MrGuilty

Dead Drunk

Post by MrGuilty » August 10th, 2008, 3:18 am

<center>Dead Drunk</center>

I worked with a lot of veterans, not worked with them more like lived with them
when two men spend days and weeks together in the confines of truck, it is close relationship.

Sometimes friendships are born, hell sometimes they fall in love and get married. But they get to know each other pretty well.

I worked with a lot of veterans, from world war two bomber pilots, to Vietnam. and the first gulf war, and Korea. Some of them were lifers, some never left the states, some were combat veterans. A lot of them were combat veterans.

Do you know the difference between a truck driver and a cowboy?
A cowboy has the bullshit on the outside of his boots.
Then it came straight for me
That bit reminded me of a sleeper team partner I had, one of the best, a big bear of a man, gentle and kind way about him. I don't know how those combat vets could knock me off like that but I started to feel like a chaplin after a while. We never talked about the war, I never asked any questions. They would tell me things. Or sometimes there would be flash backs. A battery exploded in one guys face while we were working on the truck and he started calling "Medic, Medic, Medic"

Well anyway, me and my big burly partner were broke down and had to get a motel room, he asked me not to put any slasher movies on the TV, he had lost his taste for slasher movies,

Best, he was the best, salt of the earth, he told me something I knew was true, never crossed my mind to doubt him. it was the language the tone in your story that told me it was true. That drunk kept coming at him, so he shot him, after warning him twice or even three times to back off.

After he told me the story he seemed to be searching my face for an answer, or a reaction. I told him if it was me I would stay out of bars.

I am not done with this post
trying to remember more
he was sitting in his car when he shot the guy
and he just drove off and left him.

I hope he took my advice and stayed out of bars

Cecil is a veteran too
he was in the navy

shelling the hell out of those little people coming at you
and jimboloco don't trust himself to keep a gun around
and surfermike saw god on a fire base that was being over run on top of some god foresaken hill
in case you are curious what god looks like
he was wearing aviator sun glasses and had a forty five automatic in his hand
and I am pretty sure wireman has been there too
but never mentions anything about except in an oblique way once a reference to "charlie"
I think he is the kindest man here.
Reminds me of jitterbug a whole lot
I think saw is too, but I don't remember him menitoning it

I miss abstroint she been there too.

And in a way Clay has been there too, if prison counts as combat.
[/quote]

Outside, I point to a wasted NVA hanging in the wire. "War is serious business, son, and this is our gross national product." I kick the corpse, triggering panic in the maggots in the hollow eye sockets and in the grinning mouth and in each of the bullet holes in his chest.

Leonard chuckles.
From the novel The Short Timers, Gustav Hasford a beat marine.

I have not read another war novel since I read his. I gave the book away to a friends husband who was an ex marine.

I wish I had it back.

I hate when I give books away

I gave one away called

King Of The Midnight Blue a novel based on D.B. Cooper, I wish I had that one back too.
I used to be smart

Free Rice

the mingo

Post by the mingo » August 10th, 2008, 6:35 am

ST - hey thx for cluing me on the sock puppet MrGuilty, I hadn't seen that one before...I hear ya on the books...but I don't have many around anymore...I've moved around alot most of my life so I tend to keep the things I have to a minimum, not because of any exalted maxim but for purely practical reasons. I always enjoy a good library though. By that I mean a good sized library. Closest one to me here is thirty miles to the south so I don't go. That book you mentioned about D.B. Cooper I might have to check out, always admired the crazy balls it took to try & pull that off in the first place whether or not he ever made it through the trees. Though I hope he did.
Doll, you may have found a place of rest but I'm still on the trail.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » August 10th, 2008, 9:36 am

I have never seen the book again, I have looked for it in those Books In Print catalogues and it was not listed.

I bought it in a drug store in Ilwaco Washington, I think it might have been some kind of chap book cause I never heard of the publishing comapany either. It might have been a lcoal outfit.

Ten four on travelling light. At one point in my life I could fit everything I owned into the boot of a Porsche 356A.

Which reminds me to find the bit about the Porshe that your post about your chess playing friend reminded me of.

Let there be light
Let there be coffee

talk at you later with the porsche bit I hope.

Return to “Asylum for the Terminally Vain”