progress

Truckin'. Still truckin'...

Moderator: stilltrucking

Non Sum

Post by Non Sum » November 9th, 2009, 10:41 am

RE: NS: Isn’t Camus an atheist?
StillTrucking: What does that matter? I find more spirituality in Camus and Einstein than I do in most preachers.

NS: The "matter" is that your title, "Religion from Tolstoy to Camus," refers to "religion," not "spirituality." I do not take them to be synonymous, do you?

ST: I can’t do Keirkegaard lord knows I have tried. Nietzsche is so easy for me, the voice of an Old Testament prophet.

NS: I can understand that, though K's "Fear and Trembling" certainly gets to the heart of an Old Testament issue (Re. Abraham). This book, like Nietzsche's "Birth of Tragedy," is K's most accessible entre into his thought. If you are enjoying Edmund Husserl, I can't see why K would be any problem for you.

Speaking of Husserl and the phenomenological method; I find the method identical with that of mystical introspection, and Husserl's insights into the nature of consciousness itself are identical with that of transcendental mysticism.

"In every way, then, it is clear that everything which is there for me in the world of things is on grounds of principle ‘only a presumptive reality’; that ‘I myself,’ on the contrary, for whom it is there am ‘absolute’ Reality, given through a positing that is unconditioned and simply indissoluble." (Husserl, 'Ideas')

ST: Keirkegaard spider is too subtle for me I suppose.
I am stupid that way.

NS: This I doubt very much! But, be sure to pull the other leg before leaving, so that I won't walk with a list.

ST: But I hope one day I will be able to read him. He asks such good questions. Why do we need preachers in Christendom? I suppose that is what drew me to the Quakers, no preachers.

NS: Far better than that is, 'no religion,' in order to be 'spiritual' instead.
Your position on "preachers" is notably similar to that of Nietzshe's:
"So long as the priest, that professional negator, slanderer and poisoner of life, is regarded as a superior type of human being, there cannot be any answer to the question: What is Truth?"

ST (waxing poetic): Moo Moo Camus
Yes he is the moo for me

NS: You certainly appear able to milk a name.
"We talk so abstractly about poetry, because we are all bad poets." (Nietzsche)

ST: Thanks for taking the time to reply

NS: No need to ever thank a hedonist for seeking his pleasure.

ST: I don't expect my white friends to understand the Jew Nietzsche thing.

NS: Are you a black Jew, like Solomon, who spent too long in the sun? I never misunderstood N so badly that I took him for an anti-semite. I too was once a large fan of his. He, and Dostoevsky, took me to Existentialism, and Existentialism took me to the 'dark night of the soul,' which inturn took me to eastern mysticism, and eventual liberation.

"One has to pay dearly for immorality; one has to die several times while one is still alive." (Fred)

ST: Nietzsche the laxative for my racism.

NS: :D I can see how he'd be an excellent "laxative" for most any 'ism' disease.

tinkerjack

Post by tinkerjack » November 14th, 2009, 5:16 am

"The Hindu's built the temple but the Jews wired it for sound." Crazy Al

Chapter Eight

Quote:
'The Faith of a Heretic', Walter Kaufmann

"Satan never gained any great importance in Judaism, least of all in the Hebrew Bible but some of the lesser minds invoked him to solve the problem of suffering."

"Christianity created bad readers" Nietzsche from memory.

God knows I have a lesser mind and I am a careless reader. Niezsche died for my sins.

Lesser minds and bad readers
like "a wreck on the highway when whiskey and blood run together"
http://muse.jhu.edu/login?uri=/journals ... 3zank.html
free rice

I used to be smart

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » January 3rd, 2010, 11:44 am

Progress and Entropy

The Human Use Of Human Beings
The Egg head's dream
Norbert wiener is smoldering in the pie
stuck in his thumb
a sugar plumb
not so dumb

language
confusion
and jam with
green eggs

In 2010
still hoping
for humans
being
more humane

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » April 12th, 2010, 3:31 am

May we have the courage to face the eventual doom of our civilization as we have the courage to face the certainty of our personal doom. The simple faith in progress is not a conviction belonging to strength, but one belong to acquiescence and hence to weakness
. Norbert Wiener, Progress and Entropy

Norbert Wiener a hero of mine, I read the Human Use of Human Beings so long ago, I tried to read it again recently but I am not as smart as I used to be. All I remember from it is this bit "When we arm ourselves we arm our enemies"

The government wanted him to work on the Hydrogen bomb but he refused, yes he wanted no part on that though he did work on military projects during the war.

zero_hero

Re: progress

Post by zero_hero » January 16th, 2013, 5:42 am

I spent the last three months reading The Antichrist about half way through it and my fucking ereader crashed, I lost all my notes and annotations.

I got nothing but time going to start it again 8)

sort of an ah ha moment for me
the stoic buddha sitting on the throne of heaven
the patron saint of hell

ah the pleasures of reading Nietzsche
as if there is no gulf between man and G d

like prune juice for the brain
the brain drain
cortex Ex Lac ™
Free Rice

"the lesson is... if you want it? keep a copy of it." Doreen Peri

Return to “Asylum for the Terminally Vain”