dream book

Truckin'. Still truckin'...

Moderator: stilltrucking

stilltrucking

dream book

Post by stilltrucking » July 7th, 2009, 7:46 pm

I saw this video today while I was looking for a piece of music and I thought about a nightmare I had years ago aboot being in prison. LRod was in that dream too.

It was a smell that woke me in the middle of the dream. It is interesting how the ambiance of the dreamers bedroom seeps into his dreams.

Nightmare four twenty two
http:---//www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCftkirSpHE
video has been deleted by youtube, I cant remember what it was
edited
"Effective dreaming" From a sci-fi novel called The Lathe of Heaven

I went back to sleep and dreamed my way on, dreamed my way out of prison, and dreamed in my dream that I was dreaming about being in prison and woke to realize I had been dreaming about waking up and being free. I was still in prison.

I had about four days of it in reality
in reality
it felt like four years
because of my claustrophobia
if I had to stay any longer I don't know how I would have maintained.

any longer would have felt like a death sentence.

That was a nasty place I was living in, the seal around the bottom of the head was leaking.

This is the best home I have had in ten years.

Depressing to think about moving
how many times have I thrown my life in the demon wind.
Last edited by stilltrucking on March 30th, 2010, 2:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

silent woman

Post by silent woman » October 21st, 2009, 6:59 am

interstate ten turns into a mountain unpaved road, bear bryant and forest gump, water fawcet in the wall over my bed, dressing up as a clown woman for the easter parade, washing my hands by the water fawcet the mattress wet.

too much sleep,
ten hours
probably have a back ache
not so much sleep as a coma.
insulin coma
shock therapy
shame and lostness
If you can't give me love and peace, Then give me bitter fame. — Akhmatova.

Free Rice

avatar courtesy of Baron de Hirsch

SadLuckDame

Post by SadLuckDame » October 21st, 2009, 7:26 am

I dreamt last night of coloring a picture. It was a horse. I remember how neatly and perfectly I'd colored his head, outlined it, too. But then I'd rushed through coloring it's body. I'd already lost my attention span, colored it quickly and messy. It was a gray crayola.
Gray, but in color. The paper was stark white. Not at all a black and white dream.
`Do you know, I was so angry, Kitty,' Alice went on...`when I saw all the mischief you had been doing, I was very nearly opening the window, and putting you out into the snow! And you'd have deserved it, you
little mischievous darling!
~Lewis Carroll

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » October 21st, 2009, 8:17 am

They say men hardly ever dream in color, women more frequently. I love my dreams.

I am in a strange loop, these are my golden years, like a permanent summer vacation from school. I forget what it is like to keep a schedule. I suppose that is what I liked about trucking. Nothing nine to five about long haul.

I slept a lot yesterday, it is how I hide when I am worried about something. I sleep on it.

Thinking about a biography of Kerouac by Anne Charters. She made a novel out of his life. It interests me how Kerouac changed certain details in his novels. On The Road, his mother becomes his aunt. Man he loved his mother but I suppose it would sound to wimpy to say he was living with his mother as a grown man.

I loved my mother too. I only tried to strangle her once.

Thanks for the dream. I don't know what dreams mean. I think Freud called them te royal road to the unconscious. Jung picked up on that.
I think the dreaming brain is the artist within us all. Freud said that too.

That mountain road, I was lost again. I dream a lot about being lost.

Sorry to hear about the death of your prophet friend.

jackofnightmares

Post by jackofnightmares » October 21st, 2009, 8:37 am

Freud's dream theory gets boost from imaging work

Meaning in dreams may be less disguised than commonly believed.

By Siri Carpenter

Freud's theory that dreams are the "royal road" to understanding the unconscious mind has come under fire over the past 30 years as scientists have probed the neural bases of dreaming. But new findings from brain imaging studies are beginning to show that there may be some truth behind Freud's hypotheses.

The results have narrowed the gulf between basic researchers' beliefs that dreams are merely the byproduct of random neuron firings and psychoanalysts' stance that dreams reveal people's deepest instincts and impulses.

In his 1900 book, "The Interpretation of Dreams," Freud wrote that the purpose of dreams is to express primitive, sexual and aggressive wishes. Such wishes, Freud thought, are rooted in early childhood experiences but are too anxiety-provoking to break the surface of consciousness. Indeed, he theorized, even while dreaming these forbidden impulses are symbolically disguised in bizarre dream imagery, and it is the job of the psychoanalyst to uncover dreams' latent meaning.

Freud's dream theory began to unravel in the 1960s, when scientists discovered that REM sleep, the phase in which dreaming most often occurs, is controlled not by the brain's emotion or motivation centers but by the pons, the part of the brainstem involved in automatic jobs such as respiration, thermo-regulation and cardiac activity.

"The conclusion was obvious," says neuropsychologist Mark L. Solms, PhD, of St. Bartholomew's and Royal London School of Medicine, London. "Freud was wrong. Dreams are regulated by a lowly, elementary physiological mechanism [that has] absolutely nothing to do with wishes and memories and feelings and desires and your grandmother."

That was where things stood until recently.

New support for an old idea

The advent of imaging techniques that reveal the brain at work have given researchers a fresh look at what's happening when people dream. Positron emission tomography (PET) and functional MRI techniques have revolutionized dream research, says neurologist Allen R. Braun, MD, of the National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (NIDCD).

Using PET, Braun and his colleagues found that the limbic and paralimbic regions of the brain--areas that control emotion and motivation--were highly active during REM sleep. In addition, areas of the prefrontal cortex, which sustain working memory, attention, logic and self-monitoring, were inactive, the researchers reported in Science (Vol. 279, p. 91-95).

Suppression of the prefrontal cortex during REM sleep may help explain several of the cardinal features of dreaming, such as bizarre imagery, loss of critical insight and logic, diminished self-reflection, inability to shift attention, morphing of time, place and identity and forgetting of dreams, says Braun.

His team also found that the primary visual cortex--the point of entry for visual information from the external world--was deactivated during REM, but regions of the brain that conduct higher-level visual processing remained activated, perhaps explaining why people continue to "see" while dreaming, even while the brain is cut off from the outside world.

"The data are consistent with a number of elements of classical Freudian theory," Braun says. Deactivation of the prefrontal cortex may be consistent with Freud's ideas of encoding of wishes into dream imagery, emotional disinhibition and instinctual needs, he says.

In research that complements the brain imaging findings, Solms studied patients who had damage either in the pons region of the brainstem or in areas of the forebrain involved in motivation. Although the REM sleep of people with damage in the pons was disrupted, dreaming was not. In contrast, people with damage to motivation centers in the forebrain reported a loss of dreaming even though their REM sleep was not disturbed.

"I think that both my and Braun's findings suggest that dreaming is a higher mental function, generated by forebrain mechanisms," Solms says. "Dreams are evidently produced by motivational, emotional, memory and perceptual systems of the forebrain. It is, in short, the 'wishing system,' to allude back to Freud. Nothing that we know about in the brain comes closer to being the neurophysiological equivalent of what Freud described as the libidinal wish or libidinal drive."

'Genuine breakthrough'

Leaders in the field who once entirely dismissed Freud's theories say that Braun's and Solms's findings are very significant.

"I think it's a genuine breakthrough," says psychiatrist John A. Hobson, MD, of Harvard Medical School. "Either one of these methods would constitute a new look. But the fact that they've come simultaneously and complement one another makes you sit up and take notice."

But Hobson doesn't agree that the new research demonstrates that dreams serve as wish-fulfillment, as Freud proposed.

"The term 'wishing system' seems inappropriate here," he says. "Clearly, many parts of the brain are involved in motivated behavior. You're really stretching the point to assume that all of these unpleasant dreams are wish-fulfilling because they involve motivation." And there's scant neuroscientific evidence for Freud's argument that dreams carry hidden agendas--that their superficial content symbolically disguises their real meaning.

"I think there are points of departure [from Freudian theory]," Braun says. "Rather than metaphor or symbol, dreams may constitute more direct, albeit distorted, access to unconscious processes. And meaning in dreams may be less disguised and more apparent than commonly believed."Y

Siri Carpenter is a writer in New Haven, Conn.

http://www.apa.org/monitor/julaug99/sc4.html
"Skepticism is the chastity of the intellect" Santayana The Idea of Christ in the Gospels

SadLuckDame

Post by SadLuckDame » October 22nd, 2009, 12:25 am

I slept a lot yesterday, it is how I hide when I am worried about something. I sleep on it.

Jack, grab the bull by the horns and ride him out. Not that I don't want you to sleep, sleep is healthy and dreams welcoming. But, ride him out to concur your worries. What do you worry about?

Dreams have fascinated me since childhood. I used to have reoccurring dreams then of snake pits (when I discovered I dreamed in color), being chased and not being able to scream out (being held back because of the sleep state) and this odd one I hated most of all; the loud 'static' noise in my head, it'd grow and grow until I felt insane with it. I'd wake, but still the loud 'blank noise' would continue. I'd run to my parents' room, tell them it was maddening and they'd never worry, only yell at me to go back to bed.

Only my sister was of use in soothing. If everyone could have a sister, Jack.
`Do you know, I was so angry, Kitty,' Alice went on...`when I saw all the mischief you had been doing, I was very nearly opening the window, and putting you out into the snow! And you'd have deserved it, you
~Lewis Carroll

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » October 23rd, 2009, 12:43 pm

Sleep is the down side of pot for me. When I get stoned it takes days for my sleep to get back to schedule. As if I am trying to catch up with my dreams. For some reason pot seems to disrupt my sleep cycle. I don't dream after getting stoned. Or at least I don't remember them.
loud 'blank noise' would continue
Hypnogogic, I learned a new word. I thought I had a stroke a while back but it was a hypnogogic hallucination.

hypnagogic state
The hypnagogic state is that state between being awake and falling asleep. For some people, this is a time of visual and auditory hallucination.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » October 23rd, 2009, 12:45 pm

Hypnagogic hallucination is episodes of seeing and hearing things as one is falling asleep. These dreams can be frightening and can often cause a sudden jerk and arousal just before sleep onset. For example, you may see yourself falling and awaken with a sudden jerk, just before impact. As the subject drifts off to sleep, he/she moves into a state that

combines the environment, of which the subject is still partially aware, with a dream-like state of sleep, in which he might see people and hear them talking. The experiences are often frightening. Sleep deprivation, irregular sleep schedules, and medications all can predispose to occurrences of this phenomenon.
Hypnagogic hallucinations can occur at sleep onset, either during daytime sleep episodes or at night. They are usually quite vivid, and often involve vision. The visual hallucinations usually consist of simple forms – colored circles or parts of objects – that are constant or changing in size. People may also see the image of an animal or a person, and are more often in color. Auditory hallucinations are also common, but other senses are seldom involved. Hypnagogic hallucinations are dreams that intrude on wakefulness, which can cause visual, auditory, or touchable sensations. They occur between waking and sleeping, usually at the onset of sleep, and can also occur about 30 seconds after a cataleptic attack. Hypnagogic hallucinations are a feature of narcolepsy.

SadLuckDame

Post by SadLuckDame » October 23rd, 2009, 8:14 pm

narcolepsy
You know what I mean then, that's exactly the types I have very often.

I had another last night.
It was a nightmare, within a nightmare
and neither could I wake from.
I was so disillusioned in the first night mare
trying to wake up in,
I was in my old house
with the large floor to ceiling windows,
because I kept seeing flashlights
thinking it was my old peeping tom neighbor.
I tried to wake from it, but couldn't because I was dreaming
I was trying to wake from it
while I was really trying to wake up in my house now,
because I saw the violin picture above the coach.
I couldn't wake from it either.
Different lights in the window for that one,
they blinked on and off red, like car breaks
or ambulances or train lights.

I finally woke completely disoriented.

I have tons of these sorts.
I wonder why,
I don't know other than
I must sleep deep?

If men hardly dream in color, do you recall any colored dreams?
I don't recall any black and white dreams.
~Lewis Carroll

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » October 23rd, 2009, 8:52 pm

I can't remember one dream I ever had in color.. Maybe I will think of one. I am going to sleep on it. I sometimes try to direct my dreams I think about what I want to dream about before I go to bed. I will think about color dreams and see what happens.

Have you ever heard music in a dream? I can't remember ever hearing music in a dream.

Interesting novel about dreams.
'The Lathe of Heaven'

SadLuckDame

Post by SadLuckDame » October 23rd, 2009, 9:08 pm

A lot of time I day dream to fall asleep. I'm a dreamer, especially when awake. One of sitting on a bleacher watching a game or sumpin'.

I don't remember music in any, but I do have sound in dreams.
I went through a period of two years where I had end of the world dreams. There were a lot of bang, booms, crackling fire, screams of pregnant women and children as they were thrown down cement stairs. Or that reoccurring 'blank noise' dream, white noise.

I'm not a sci-fi fan, but I'll take a peek see.
~Lewis Carroll

SadLuckDame

Post by SadLuckDame » October 23rd, 2009, 10:09 pm

But, you're innocent when you dream.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMc0ok9_ ... re=related
~Lewis Carroll

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » October 24th, 2009, 5:02 am

"To let understanding stop at what cannot be understood is a high attainment. Those who cannot do it will be destroyed on the lathe of heaven" — Chuang Tzu
Yes innocent when we dream. Yes. Who are we when we dream? Do we remember our names in our dreams?

I woke up once and could not remember who I was. A moment of fear then I relaxed because it was kind of liberating.

Color dream last night. About a computer, but the dream was really about my nephew and sister.

Such a long winding tale of karma. Oh lordy the the things we do for love.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » October 24th, 2009, 11:08 am

on the beach without a shirt
no truck and too far from a train
another lost dream

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agwps6hMQqU

SadLuckDame

Post by SadLuckDame » October 24th, 2009, 12:46 pm

We can be anything in dreams
no boundaries
waltz right in

into the shadow
into color

Have you been nude in a dream yet?
I have, but I can't recall the details.

I also went through a phase where I dreamt of angels
one had me write down instructions
another had me pen a poem about a lion
I woke and found I'd tried to pen it too.

Once when awake on the dikes
with a girl friend
we saw angels in the night sky
they formed small groups and together
made symbols
not sure in what language
but we were amazed
they looked as if stars
in the center of amazing wings
~Lewis Carroll

Return to “Asylum for the Terminally Vain”