Post by tinkerjack » January 24th, 2010, 1:47 pm

Schmaltz.

Nobody does it better

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaV-6qerkqI
free rice

I used to be smart

zero_hero

Post by zero_hero » January 25th, 2010, 2:17 am

I would be a fool to write this without a having a couple of shots of whiskey on hand.
The only thing I got going for me tonight is whimsical deb's banner.
Free Rice

"the lesson is... if you want it? keep a copy of it." Doreen Peri

zero_hero

Post by zero_hero » January 25th, 2010, 2:31 am

black robed witches
marching
carry a huge papier-mâché phallus

It seemed funny at the time
in broad daylight
on a college campus in Maryland

but then I saw them again a few months later in a dark woods near Phoenix Maryland on Halloween , a rural area where the Blair Witch movie would be filmed thirty years later

And it scared me
But I did not run
I just kept on walking
To this day I don't know if it was a hallucination or a prank or

I just don't know
I only know that is was as scared as I ever been, and that includes icy mountain roads, blowouts on the steer axle. Cars coming at me the wrong way on the interstate. Finding myself hanging upside down pinned between a runaway truck and a telephone pole.
It was that kind of fear
Now thirty years later
I see what the lesson was

I was that crazy. Crazy maybe not the right word, I was in the back wash of my ego trips, my vanities.

there never was a man more pussy whipped than me.

Go ahead laugh
make my day
Free Rice

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » January 25th, 2010, 8:16 am

Even now I still can't be honest with you about it. When I had the first clue of just how clueless I was. The first conscious twinge of the void. A portrait in darkness. Of becoming aware that I was not aware

It was the not knowing that I did not know
Not knowing if it was real or not.

Word list
the fall
pride
vanity
fool

SadLuckDame

Post by SadLuckDame » January 25th, 2010, 11:59 pm

I'm honest, but still can't be so brave to be honest. It's a flexibility trait or an ability to condition myself to whatever's at hand if I'm into the amusement, and adaptability. :P

go frozen
laid
out on ice
a pond's stay
`Do you know, I was so angry, Kitty,' Alice went on...`when I saw all the mischief you had been doing, I was very nearly opening the window, and putting you out into the snow! And you'd have deserved it, you
little mischievous darling!
~Lewis Carroll

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » January 26th, 2010, 9:07 am

I'm into the amusement, and adaptability
Me too, that is why i love my dreams, no matter what their content. Even nightmares. Cheap entertainment. I don't need to spend woney[sic] watching horror films. I make my own some nights I have triple features going in my drive in mental movie theatre out on hwy 666. Hmmm smell that popcorn.

Razz baby razz. :P
The Milkyway tastes of raspberries and smells of rum. And that's a fact Jack.
The Galaxy's centre tastes of raspberries and smells of rum, say astronomersThe hunt for chemicals in deep space that could seed life on other planets has yielded a large, fruity molecule
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2009/ ... trobiology

<center>
woney?
is that a contraction of money and woman?
Yeah my shit don't stink
I even love my typos

zero_hero

Post by zero_hero » April 10th, 2010, 9:57 pm

Abase
Charles Prince, Citigroup's former chairman and chief executive officer abased himself before the federal panel investigating the causes of the crisis ...NYTIMES.Com
Free Rice

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » April 11th, 2010, 8:51 pm

Reification
Projection
For Marx, one of the key critics of reification, religions are prime examples of the typical dynamics involved in reification. In Marx's view, gods are obviously human creations, projections of our imagination (see: projection theory; Feuerbach; atheism) that nevertheless come to rule over human beings, as if they were more real and powerful than their creators. His humanist critique of religion intends to revert this process of reification and to reinstate us as the true authors of our social world:
http://faculty.washington.edu/cbehler/g ... mples.html

still.trucking

Post by still.trucking » April 24th, 2010, 10:29 pm

Anatidaephobia:

"Natural selection, as it has operated in human history, favors not only the clever but the murderous." Barbara Ehrenreich

Free Rice

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » June 22nd, 2010, 5:56 am

Anosognosic

“There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things we now know we don’t know. But there are also unknown unknowns. These are the things we do not know we don’t know.”

FOOTNOTES:

1. Michael A. Fuoco, “Arrest in Bank Robbery, Suspect’s Picture Spurs Tips,” Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, April 21, 1995.

2. Michael A. Fuoco, “Trial and Error: They had Larceny in their Hearts, but little in their Heads,” Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, March 21, 1996. The article also includes several other impossibly stupid crimes, e.g., the criminal-to-be who filled out an employment application at a fast-food restaurant providing his correct name, address and social security number. A couple of minutes later he decided to rob the place.

3. Justin Kruger and David Dunning, “Unskilled and Unaware of It: How Difficulties of Recognizing One’s Own Incompetence Lead to Inflated Self-assessments,” Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 1999, vol. 77, no. 6, pp. 1121-1134.

4. David Dunning may be channeling Socrates. “The only true wisdom is to know that you know nothing.” That’s too bad; Socrates gives me a headache.

5. NATO HQ, Brussels, Press Conference by U.S. Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, June 6, 2002. The exact quote: “There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things we now know we don’t know. But there are also unknown unknowns. These are the things we do not know we don’t know.”

6. O.K. I looked it up on Wikipedia. The melting point of beryllium, the fourth element, is 1278 °C.

7. “Ctenoid” comes from one of my favorite books, “Jarrold’s Dictionary of Difficult Words.” I challenged a member of the Mega Society [a society whose members have ultra-high I.Q.s], who claimed he could spell anything, to spell “ctenoid.” He failed. It’s that silent “c” that gets them every time. “Ctenoid” means “having an edge with projections like the teeth of a comb.” It could refer to rooster combs or the scales of certain fish.

8. For the inner logoleptic in all of us, allow me to recommend the Web site:

http://www.kokogiak.com/logolepsy/

One of the site’s recommended words is “epicaricacy.” I read somewhere that the German word “schadenfreude” has no equivalent in English. I am now greatly relieved.

9. Errol Morris, “First Person: I Dismember Mama.”

10. Dunning, David, “Self-Insight: Roadblocks and Detours on the Path to Knowing Thyself (Essays in Social Psychology),” Psychology Press: 2005, p. 14-15.

11. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anosognosia.

12. A purist would no doubt complain that anosognosia has been taken out of context, that it has been removed from the world of neurology and placed in an inappropriate and anachronistic social science setting. But something does remain in translation, the idea of an invisible deficit, the infirmity that cannot be known nor perceived. I can even imagine a cognitive and psychological version of anosodiaphoria. The idea of an infirmity that people neglect, that they do not pay any attention to.
Continue to Part 2.
The Anosognosic’s Dilemma: Something’s Wrong but You’ll Never Know What It Is (Part 2)

Return to “Asylum for the Terminally Vain”